Police enforcement at Westernport beaches

Point Leo Foreshore's picture
Point Leo Foreshore started the topic in Monday, 16 Aug 2021 at 12:36pm

Hi Everyone.
This is a heads up. The police have been pulling people over, inspecting plates, and issuing infringements at many of the western port beaches for the past four days. It is reported that this will continue whilst non compliance of the 5klm rule continues to be flaunted by the surfing community.
I am told that multiple individuals, many from hot spot areas across the Melbourne metropolitan area, have been issued infringement notices for multiple offences.
Whilst the chances of spreading or contracting the virus in the surf is apparently lower, the chance of contracting it in the toilets, as you pass each other on the narrow stairs, in the businesses that you visit on the way too and from the beach, is reportedly considerable. Especially considering the number of people we are seeing from all over Melbourne
If the health concerns, or monetary penalty isn't a deterrent, please consider the impacts it is having on the broader community.
There is considerable concern from the local NON surfing communities who are pushing hard for even more enforcement.
I hate to state the obvious, but ignoring the current restrictions will only lead to further enforcement, further restrictions and more pain for everyone.
Take care.
Tony. Ranger. Point Leo

D-Rex's picture
D-Rex's picture
D-Rex Thursday, 23 Sep 2021 at 5:09pm

Judging by today's crowds, I think the cops have given up.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 23 Sep 2021 at 5:22pm

Based on what the cams are showing atm it seems Tony’s warning is being ignored by many.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 23 Sep 2021 at 5:29pm

They were doing those things a while back coming onto the island, think they have calmed down now though, but who knows could just be doing random hits.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Thursday, 23 Sep 2021 at 8:32pm

I really hope there's no real crimes being committed in Vicco at the moment.
https://www.facebook.com/1048395910/videos/1269851160111186/

geek's picture
geek's picture
geek Thursday, 23 Sep 2021 at 9:04pm

The irony is the "local NON surfing communities" are likely Toorak blow-ins that moved to their Shoreham holiday home at the start of the lockdown

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Thursday, 23 Sep 2021 at 10:33pm

It’s been said before, Westernport is just depressing. Shit waves and crowds to boot.

san Guine's picture
san Guine's picture
san Guine Friday, 24 Sep 2021 at 9:02am
blackers wrote:

It’s been said before, Westernport is just depressing. Shit waves and crowds to boot.

Stop talking it up Blackers, it will only encourage more people...

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 24 Sep 2021 at 9:56am

Ive only surfed there a dozen times mostly as a grommet and i will probably never bother surfing there again, sure the waves lack power and size and it gets crowded, but its still a really nice area, its barely changed on land since the 80s and the area is rich in reefs and just has a nice overall vibe.

The world is a better place with this area than without it.