Advice for new board - lanky experienced surfer

lukaf17's picture
lukaf17 started the topic in Tuesday, 9 Mar 2021 at 4:58pm

I'm in need of a new board at the moment, its been about 3 years since I've gotten a high performance shortboard.

I'm 19 years old, 6'7" and about 75 kilos.
So I'm heaps tall but not fat at all.

I've been surfing my whole life and ever since I was around 14-15 I've been riding my high performance shorty at 6'0" 26~ liters. For the past 2 years I've been riding a 5'11" OG Flyer at 31.0 Liters and I do love that board, but I'm now realising that a board of that length is way way to short for me with how tall I am.

Heres the problem, with my height, people say "you should ride your high performance board within 2 inches of your height" but by that logic I'd be riding a 6'5" around 40 liters which is way way too high literage. But if i go by my weight and experience, I get recommended 26 liters around 5'10" which is obviously way too small for me.

The equation totally falls apart for me with my build, what would you guys recommend?
I've considered getting a Channel Islands Happy at 6'4" but they're 36 liters which is way too much for me (my highest volume board is my fish which is 35 liters and even that feels like too much). I'm kinda lost here and don't know what dims i should get. I've thought about getting a 6'4" and trimming it down to 31 liters but i reckon that would be way too narrow, bladey, and slow; I like doing fast snappy turns and big airs, which u need width and volume for.

TLDR: I'm 6'7" and 75kg, I need a longer board but don't want more volume then the 31 liter 5'11" I'm riding. wtf do I do

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 9 Mar 2021 at 6:08pm

bump to front page

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 9 Mar 2021 at 6:28pm

Get a custom in the Length and Width you like and the Magic of that Shaping Machine can give you the Litres you want .....and probably come in cheaper than the off the rack C.I or others.

belly's picture
belly's picture
belly Tuesday, 9 Mar 2021 at 8:07pm

A DP Performa at 6'3" is 30.25l in stock dims and will do customs.

philosurphizingkerching's picture
philosurphizing... Wednesday, 10 Mar 2021 at 10:39am

What about looking at it from the point of view of stance width and scaling up accordingly.
I'm 5'10'' and my stance width is 18'' heel centre to heel centre.
You being 9'' taller would have a wider stance.
A ball park calculation would be you being 12.5% taller than me would therefore have a stance 12.5% wider than my stance.
12.5% of 18'' equals 2 1/4''.
So your stance width is probably about 20 1/4''.
You were saying 31 litres is what you want, I think you need to go up in volume by 12.5%.
12.5% of 31 litres is 34.87 litres.
Here is a set of dimensions for a 35.7 litre board.
6'1'' by 20 1/4'' wide by 2 3/4'' thick.
You were saying you want to go longer, you can play around with these numbers to add some length, for example reduce the width by 1/4'' or 3/8 '' and add 1'' to the length for each 1/8'' of reduction of the width.
There is a volume number for a 1/8'' reduction in width and the person who can help you is a shaper who shapes using a shaping machine and a computer.

Something I have never seen is a tutorial where someone sits in front of a computer screen with a designer and plays around with AKU shaper software and explores volume numbers relative to dimension numbers.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 10 Mar 2021 at 10:58am

I'd be trying to find a tall, lanky shaper and asking them what they reckon?

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Wednesday, 10 Mar 2021 at 11:18am

Yeah, I'd combine FR & udo's advice (interesting ideas from philosurphizing too) - have a chat with a lanky shaper and get a custom.
From memory Nigel Annesley (recently featured in an article on the front page) is a pretty lanky bloke (but that's coming from my nuggety 5'9 perspective).
Anyone got other suggestions of someone who'd fit the bill?

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Wednesday, 10 Mar 2021 at 12:20pm

Keep in mind thickness more so than length or width is where you can plus /minus volume....play around on the channel islands board design to see what i mean.

eel's picture
eel's picture
eel Wednesday, 10 Mar 2021 at 12:39pm

Annesley isn't really tall and lanky.

Stretch is tall and lanky. He's based in California but they license and make his boards in Wollongong I think.

philosurphizing... Wednesday, 10 Mar 2021 at 12:54pm

Here is a link to the Channel Islands Customizer Simba mentioned.
https://www.cisurfboards.com/board/fishbeard/#CUSTOMIZE
Click in the box next to the blue button and select length width and thickness and up comes volume.
I selected the neckbeard model and had a bit of a play.
6'1'' by 20 1/4'' by 2 3/4'' equals 36.6 litres.
Change the width down to 20 '' and you get 36.2 L only .4L reduction.
Add 1'' to length and volume increases by .8L.
Alter the thickness from 2 3/4'' down to 2 1/2'' and you get a significant 3.3L decrease in volume.

What a great teaching tool to play around with.
Select the planshape from the various models as your starting point.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Wednesday, 10 Mar 2021 at 1:05pm

How tall is Owen Wright ? What length does he ride in average waves ?

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Wednesday, 10 Mar 2021 at 6:48pm

Simon Anderson? Tall and lanky, although I don’t think he’s into big airs

keano's picture
keano's picture
keano Wednesday, 10 Mar 2021 at 8:18pm

lukaf17 I'd be having a look at one of these mate.

https://www.lsdsurfboards.com/boards/the-hammer

Something around the 6'3 to 6'4 mark in the stock dims I reckon would be good from what you've described your ability as. Tune it up if you can do a custom.

lukaf17's picture
lukaf17's picture
lukaf17 Thursday, 11 Mar 2021 at 9:13pm

yeah the lsd hammer was actually my second choice of board, I just don't know enough about lsd to buy one yet. And i dont mean i havent done research i mean i just dont know anyone that has one