Old surfboards for charity

JMC's picture
JMC started the topic in Saturday, 26 Dec 2020 at 1:59pm

Hi all, anyone know of any charities around the Illawarra that take old surfboards with life in them. Have a few old boards that are not collectables but still might stoke out a young learner who may not be able to afford a new one

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 28 Dec 2020 at 7:17pm

bump

JMC's picture
JMC's picture
JMC Wednesday, 30 Dec 2020 at 8:23pm

Nuthin??

belly's picture
belly's picture
belly Thursday, 31 Dec 2020 at 8:37am

It's a great thought though...
Why not just advertise them super cheap, FB classifieds or gumtree.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Thursday, 31 Dec 2020 at 9:57am

You could try calling your local Salvos or Vinnies, they will know their clientele and may be able to direct your boards to a deserving person. Either that or just donate to their local op shop. Good luck, it is a great idea.

Doublems111's picture
Doublems111's picture
Doublems111 Friday, 8 Jan 2021 at 12:27pm

Same here on the Goldy JMC. There seems to be a charity drive every couple of years or so for PNG, South Africa, Sri lanka, Indo, etc but no use real local ones. Keep em in the shed until you travel then give it away yourself or get into reshaping I guess. Maybe your local surf shop has a surfschool/rental. At least it gives the board some life.

anissation's picture
anissation's picture
anissation Thursday, 14 Jan 2021 at 4:43am

It's an extraordinary idea however. You could take a stab at calling your nearby Salvos or Vinnies, they will know their demographic and might have the option to guide your sheets to a meriting individual.
https://1921681001.id/ , https://19216811.cam/ , https://jpgtopdf.onl/

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 9:22am

I wouldn't get exasperated, JMC. The lack of enthusiasm to distribute old boards speaks more to how cheap second hand boards are now, and also how many of them are around. There's more surfers than ever, and they all have multi-board quivers that they're cycling through, the end result being a surfeit of boards.

Wasn't the case a decade or so ago when board drives would fill shipping containers.

They still happen, though not nearly as regularly, so keep your ear to the ground or simply pass the boards off through Facebook Marketplace at the right price. There are many deserving families who aren't necessarily signed up to charities.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 13 Jan 2021 at 11:29am

A couple of days ago I gave an old JS to a trio of Pakistani ( ? ) kids who were enviously watching other kids ride micro waves in the bay. Just passed them then and the two youngest ( maybe 6 and 8 ) were out frothing on it .

Made my day !

I didn’t mention it at the time but I’m assuming they’re aware of my 15 percent of all future earnings if they ever make it to the professional ranks .

ArchieGard's picture
ArchieGard's picture
ArchieGard Wednesday, 13 Sep 2023 at 11:05pm

Bump