Healthy recipes

megzee's picture
megzee started the topic in Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 3:55pm

Surfers have always had an solid affiliation with good healthy food and a balanced diet.
When I moved out of home at 17, a mate and I got a flat down the road from the Bamboo Flute which was a Hare Krishna restaurant on Point Danger back then and Wednesday nights they would throw on a free feed. It really was great vegetarian food. Later it was taken over by the Wood sisters, and they had the best tucker on the southern end of the Goldy. As I was in the last year of my apprenticeship and saving for my first Indo trip, I got a job dishwashing 4 nights a week which included a free meal. My love of good healthy food was entrenched from that time on. 5 nights out of 6 MP could be found tucking in to his favorite flute dish.
I brought my kids up on good tucker and the old breaky favorite of Avo and poached eggs on wholegrain toast was always a plate licker.......Followed by the lamb roast and veggies on slow cook under the barby hood, which would be ready to serve after the late arvo surf. Not to mention the camp oven or fresh fish feeds in the NW many, many years ago.
As a close second to the veggie garden thread, it would be great to hear and see what delicious healthy recipes and meals hit your table.....
Tonight, I'm knocking up my world famous mackerel patties......

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee commented Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 4:00pm

Mac patties
Fresh slab of steamed Mackerel.
Chopped onion, garlic, chilli, chives..
2 fresh eggs
Steamed rice
Grated carrot
Bread crumbs
Steamed potatoes...
Add and mash complete mix
Hand roll in bread crumbs...and flatten......6 man size patties
Let sit in the fridge for an hour...
Shallow fry in olive oil..
Not bad cold on a Saturday morning either.....

It's easy to be brave from a distance.

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops commented Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 4:28pm

Sounds bloody good Megzee
chinese style steamed fish (chili, garlic, soy, ginger etc) is my go-to for something healthy and satisfying.
Simple recipe, you'll find heaps of versions on the internet...
Add some brown rice and steamed asian veg and you've got a feast.

Another good one is vietnamese-style rice paper rolls.
chicken or firm tofu (or lean beef, or even fish... or roo, anything goes) marinated however you like (lemongrass is good), crunchy veg (carrots, snowpeas, cucumber etc), avo, mango, leafy greens, mint, coriander, vermicelli and/or rice noodles.
Grille the meat, cut the relevant stuff into strips, wet your rice paper, chuck in whatever seems good, wrap it up and throw in your gob. Good stuff. For a good dipping sauce, mix up some hoisin, sriracha, soy, peanut butter, lemon and a touch of brown suger, heat it up on the stove (or even the microwave) and mix it up... taste and adjust.

He who hesitates is lost

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee commented Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 4:35pm

Beautiful Pops.......just drooled on my lap....
First entry in my Swellnet new Recipe book....
Got Rice paper handy so now I know Saturday night's feed
Cheers

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops commented Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 4:41pm

Yeah, my stomach's rumbling just from typing that.
Word of caution - the rice paper's pretty finicky and tends to split if you leave it too long between wetting it and wrapping it... some brands hold together better than others too (can't remember the name of the one I normally use unfortunately).

He who hesitates is lost

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee commented Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 4:50pm

I'm in Vietnam at the moment Pops so they have got some pretty good fresh Rice paper at the local market here mate......just no Roo...

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops commented Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 4:55pm

I'll bet... guess I'm just telling you what you already know!

He who hesitates is lost

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee commented Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 5:15pm

Actually Pops, Westerners are a bit more precise with their preparation style....and presentation...
Vietnamese dishes can be a bit.....how you say......same same but different....
Every year on deceased ancestors anniversaries, they have these big family gatherings and the traditional soup is as follows...
Steamed Rice
Neatly cubed fresh duck liver and kidney..........
Inner core of banana tree trunk, shaved and soaked to create gluttonous textured liquid...
Combined and served in a Luke warm dish watery broth......
Usually served around in the morning with copious amounts of warm beer and a large chunks of ice...
Bet your stomach is not rumbling now mate...

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick commented Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 6:59pm

Spuds in coconut oil and whole grain mustard.

Level = piss easy.

Chop spuds and roast in coconut oil and wholegrain mustard.

Ta da!

(Great topic megzee, good one).

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee commented Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 7:41pm

Beauty Thanks Patrick...
There's Sunday nights din din......
Deep or shallow fried mate?

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee commented Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 8:11pm

Sorry Patrick....Roasted......
So smear the spuds in Coconut oil and mustard and roast em in the oven?

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 commented Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 8:14pm

Great topic megzee, I get the feeling it will be a good one like the vegie thread.

Mine's questionable on the "healthy" topic, but was an old favourite on just about every voyage we ever did. My custom was to leave port cooking a traditional lamb roast with all the normal trimmings. Would always get a decent sized leg of lamb or two and the leftovers were used for a curry the following evening.

Lamb (obviously)
Onion
Garlic
Tandoori paste
Garam masala
Lime leaves/lime rind/lime juice
Chillies
Coconut milk/cream
Chopped tomatoes
Stock/water
Mango chutney
Sultanas

Serve with rice, snow peas, and poppadom's!

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 commented Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 8:31pm

Contrary to popular belief, we didn't eat fish that much when we were at sea. After dealing with them all day, generally the last thing you wanted to do was sit down and eat it too! But, we would eat it probably around once a week and couldn't get any fresher!
You need inspiration once in a while from the standard fish dishes and I love curries but can't be assed with making a paste from scratch, but this one was pretty easy and delish!

Fish cut into chunks
Onion
Garlic
Red capsicum
Paprika
Ground cumin
Ground coriander
Ginger
Chillies
Fresh or dried curry leaves
Cherry tomatoes
Tomato paste/puree
Coconut milk/cream
Lime juice and grated rind
Orange juice

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick commented Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 8:41pm

megzee, yep, roasted. Turn on oven to 200 or so. Scoop a few heaps of coconut oil into oven dish/tray and place in oven so it melts (if you're up north it will already be in liquid state so just pour it in).

When it's melted add a few scoops of grain mustard, swish it all around, throw in chopped spuds, smear 'em around so plenty of coconut and mustard on each one and roast away. Boil spuds first before chopping if you like, it gives the middles a fluffier texture.

Roast till they're all crispy. That coconut mustard crispy flavour is great.

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee commented Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 8:40pm

Ahhhh ....a fellow seaman....
you have thrown the Indian flavors in already....well done, and pretty healthy for those alone....
I'm in the offshore game as well and the best catering crew i have come across are the Indian boys [ followed closely by the Indonesian lads ] who can magically turn mutton into mouth watering lamb...plus some of their side veggie dishes are taste sensations......
Geez, I can see the Coffee Table book "100 great Swellnet Recipes"

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee commented Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 8:44pm

Cheers Patrick.....If I wasn't well into concocting my Mackerel patties, that would be tonight's gem....
bloody lovely.....

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee commented Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 8:46pm

F21.....are you a professional chef by any chance?

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 commented Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 8:50pm

Hahahaa, very far from it megzee. I can butcher (ruin) a meal as good as anyone.
Just a love of good food and learning from good cooks.

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee commented Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 9:02pm

Phewwww.....I was almost embarrassed by my original bachelor mash pattie recipe...
Now I can stand tall....in the galley

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 commented Friday, 11 Dec 2020 at 9:28pm

Nice one too Patrick. I'll definitely try that one. Sometimes I struggle getting crispy soft fluffy roast spuds!