Surfing in the Land of the Nod

overthefalls's picture
overthefalls started the topic in Tuesday, 29 Sep 2020 at 6:50am

Share your REM surfing experiences.

overthefalls's picture
overthefalls's picture
overthefalls Tuesday, 29 Sep 2020 at 6:59am

There are a few recurring themes when I dream about surfing. The most pleasant one involves weaving my way through a seemingly endless barrel. The most harrowing one sees me copping multiple hold downs with rogue close-out sets stacked to the horizon. Don’t need to be Freud to figure those ones out.

loungelizard's picture
loungelizard's picture
loungelizard Tuesday, 29 Sep 2020 at 7:27am

I never get to ride waves in my dreams, always checking out surf, waves, often breaking in weird spots like rivers, lakes, but I never get to stand up. I ski really well in dreams and have the footy on a string occasionally but never barrels

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 29 Sep 2020 at 7:35am

That's nuts this just popped up. A mate and I were having exactly the same conversation yesterday. It's strange too- I never ride waves in my dreams. I always seem to be getting to the surf or looking out at good waves but somehow theres always a barrier to finally getting in the surf, beit a forest or a fence or something. Or, if I do get into the surf it turns to shit or I can't catch the wave, or someone somehow is always just inside.

I sometimes remember waves I've ridden in the past, but in my dreams I don't ride new waves. It's kinda frustrating- ha ha!

Interesting subject.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 29 Sep 2020 at 8:17am

I don't get to ride waves in my dreams either or if i do it's very rare, it always seems to be about checking waves and just searching and again often in really weird spots like inside rivers or protected bays or even just waves somehow being on the land (not sure how but they are there not even contained by a pool)

Also seems to be a focus on what's under the waves like the reef bottom contour etc always weird stuff down there often diving looking around but often not even getting wet when i do.

Or looking at the reef at low tide, but the tide goes out like pre tsunami.

Or the dreams seem to be as much about the place, like it's some location i just connect with.

Had a surfing dream last night, but again it was more about checking the waves and looking for a spot to paddle out between all these weird rock formations in the reef.

I think with all these wave pools especially the comps held in them and our dreams, it's pretty clear the act of ridding a wave is only a small part of surfing, as hippie as it sounds surfing is so much more it's a way to connect with the ocean, coastline & nature and also the rhythm of nature, changes in wind, tide etc

garyg1412's picture
garyg1412's picture
garyg1412 Tuesday, 29 Sep 2020 at 10:41am

Seems to be a common theme here. I actually wake up pissed off because I never get to actually surf any waves either. I calm down after I realise that it's only a dream, but it would be good to be able to catch one now and then. Must mean something. Maybe in my previous life I surfed Snapper Rocks on a regular basis!!

overthefalls's picture
overthefalls's picture
overthefalls Tuesday, 29 Sep 2020 at 4:18pm

Just woke up from an afternoon nap; dreamed I was sitting in the line up with Blowin, Viclocal, Indodreaming, Facto et al. screaming blue murder at each other in a language I didn’t understand. I think I might be spending too much time on these forums!

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Tuesday, 29 Sep 2020 at 4:23pm

how were the waves?

overthefalls's picture
overthefalls's picture
overthefalls Tuesday, 29 Sep 2020 at 4:55pm

They were just close outs, but the boys were probably arguing about whether they were lefts or rights!

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Tuesday, 29 Sep 2020 at 4:56pm

hehe

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Tuesday, 29 Sep 2020 at 7:12pm

Most vivid recent surf dream reflects what others have said: a perfect wave breaking in a river some 50klm from the ocean, and the whole dream was me running around trying to find a surfboard to surf it.

overthefalls's picture
overthefalls's picture
overthefalls Tuesday, 29 Sep 2020 at 7:30pm

If dreams are a portal into our sunconcious, then what do these common themes in surf dreams reveal about the surfer’s mind? An underlying frustration with our insatiable pursuit of waves?

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 29 Sep 2020 at 7:30pm

"That's nuts this just popped up. A mate and I were having exactly the same conversation yesterday. It's strange too- I never ride waves in my dreams. I always seem to be getting to the surf or looking out at good waves but somehow theres always a barrier to finally getting in the surf, beit a forest or a fence or something. Or, if I do get into the surf it turns to shit or I can't catch the wave, or someone somehow is always just inside."

me too too, so frustrating

I have the same problem with those other watery dreams, never mastered the bringing it home, ...so to speak...

sorry, probably too much info

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 29 Sep 2020 at 8:02pm

No surfing dreams really for me. But I often have a dream of kicking the winning goal after the siren in a local footy grand final.
I havent played since I was 20 bit still dream about that for some reason.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 29 Sep 2020 at 8:58pm

Swan river was pumping! Barrels off Pt Walter sandbar, A frames in Waylen Bay. Then I woke up.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 29 Sep 2020 at 9:11pm

In a rockpool of sweat VJ?