Jeff Divine's best photograph: a wipeout on surfing's greatest wave

stunet's picture
stunet started the topic in Monday, 3 Aug 2020 at 10:59am
stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 3 Aug 2020 at 11:00am

FWIW good photo, but I can think of many more from JD I think are better.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Tuesday, 4 Aug 2020 at 7:45am

I reckon it is great shot because it is so different from the usual fare. Great composition with the board tracking its course while the rider gets ahead of himself, in a reclining pose in parallel with his shadow. His pose mirrors shadows and ledges of the lip line and the shades in the whitewater make it really arresting, all tone and texture, with an implicit beating to come.

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg Tuesday, 4 Aug 2020 at 8:59am

I think the great is more from a whole photographic point of view rather than a pure surfing perspective. Almost a perfect contrast to the "normal" great surfing shot. Outstanding tones and light. I love it.

Gra Murdoch's picture
Gra Murdoch's picture
Gra Murdoch Tuesday, 4 Aug 2020 at 4:55pm

It's a fine shot, but the headline's got nothing to do with anything really, there's no reference from JD in the article about if he considers this his 'best' photo, and nothing on that call from the writer. Headline's a bit sub par / lazy from the good old Guardian I reckon.

Gra Murdoch's picture
Gra Murdoch's picture
Gra Murdoch Tuesday, 4 Aug 2020 at 4:57pm

Of course– with that nagging feeling of 'I must have missed something' I revisited the piece and there's that 'my best shot' lil title on the left, so my previous comment was, like, totally wrong!

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Thursday, 6 Aug 2020 at 10:28am

Heh heh Gra, we have all been there....

Cowabunga's picture
Cowabunga's picture
Cowabunga Tuesday, 11 Aug 2020 at 9:21pm

I like that this almost blind dude was out there scaring the crap out of the likes of Joey Cabell, Gerry Lopez, buttons, Rory Russell, Eddie and taking the drop