what do you reckon the best all round leash is?

cb3d's picture
cb3d started the topic in Friday, 19 Jun 2020 at 2:53pm

Hi guys,

Been a while since I treated myself to a new board, 4 years in fact... been about the same since I bought myself a new leg rope... so since my last met it's demise beneath the lip of a wide set it's probably about the same to be expected of my leg rope.

I'm not a bad surfer, but hell, I'll be honest, I'm not a "great" one either. Not sure I've ever noticed a leash dragging in the wave so can't really see the point in those comp leashes. It's just been so long surfing on my lonesome at the breaks with all the mates falling to "old age" and kids I've lost touch with what is good and bad out there. Was about to buy O&Es XT which they tout as the strongest out there but a little voice in the back of head was saying something along the lines of "O&Es break, don't do it!".

Like I say, forgotten it all and basically just want a leash that'll take me into the odd 8ft surf but mostly 3-5 (Victoria).

What's your ol' faithful?

jezza64's picture
jezza64's picture
jezza64 Saturday, 20 Jun 2020 at 9:31am

anticorp.com.au
Not associated in any way, have used them for years Surf Coast and Bali never had any issues. Good price too.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Saturday, 20 Jun 2020 at 11:15am

These ones. Come in 6', 7' and 8', and in a Cold Water version that works better over thick wetties and booties.

Been using them exclusively on good wave boards for 4 years or so. No issues.

https://www.oceanearthstore.com/surfboard-leashes/premium-one-xt-leash-7ft/

cb3d's picture
cb3d's picture
cb3d Monday, 22 Jun 2020 at 9:56am

cheers guys

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Monday, 22 Jun 2020 at 10:46am

I can recommend the OE one-XT series too. Almost never had a problem with them, though I did get a faulty one a little while ago. Dakine are also pretty good.
I've had bad experiences with creatures and FCS leggies in the past, but haven't used either in years (because of said bad experiences) so no idea what they're like these days.

Bnkref's picture
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref Monday, 22 Jun 2020 at 12:21pm

I see O&E also offer a quick release option. Great safety feature.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 22 Jun 2020 at 12:24pm

There's another thread about leggies somewhere but fwiw, i'm with Pops- never had a problem with O&E and have been using Dakine leggies for a few years now.

Had two FCS leggies and snapped them both within a year. In fairness to them, they were comp cords though.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 22 Jun 2020 at 12:28pm

"I see O&E also offer a quick release option. Great safety feature."

An incident duing the last south swell persuaded a handful of surfers around here of the virtues of quick release. Could've been ugly if not for that feature.

All big wave spots around here are craggy rock and reef. I'd never buy a big wave leggy without it.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 22 Jun 2020 at 1:21pm

Denyer's picture
Denyer's picture
Denyer Monday, 22 Jun 2020 at 1:55pm

What I've noticed with legropes over the last few years is that regardless of brand, they generally "perish" after about the 1 year mark. This is for me at least (surf a couple of times a week, and like suckier waves in the 4+ range).

If the 'O&E world's strongest legrope' came with a 2 year warranty I'd probably fork out the extra cash for it. But I think it only comes with a 1 year warranty, which wouldn't be worth it for me.

Make sure the leggie doesn't have any of those rigid bits around the ankle strap that may dig into your skin when pulled at an angle. That's pretty uncomfortable.

I've also heard bad things about the FCS leggies. So maybe avoid them.

Robin Masters's picture
Robin Masters's picture
Robin Masters Tuesday, 7 Jul 2020 at 10:05pm

I’ve just got two off Duncan Eadie at Southern Soul . He makes them himself and I highly recommend them. I’ve never met the guy but he seems like a nice bloke. Great Aussie made leggies

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 7 Jul 2020 at 10:23pm

Denyer
Urethane legropes Perishing after 1 year...wtf ?

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 8 Jul 2020 at 12:34am

Creatures nake the best soft racks but their leggies weren't that good i think they have improved somewhat though.

two-dogs's picture
two-dogs's picture
two-dogs Wednesday, 8 Jul 2020 at 6:07am

Steer clear of FCS. Had two that were new and the velcro would randomly let go. To their credit they they let me return them and swap for fins.
O&E have been the best for me.

ringmaster's picture
ringmaster's picture
ringmaster Wednesday, 8 Jul 2020 at 2:48pm

A mate of mine had the exact same experience with a couple of new FCS leggies on a trip to the Ments about 6 years ago.

It was hilarious listening to him swearing his head off in the distance as he had to swim/hobble across sharp reef on quite a few occasions to retrieve his board!

Gone for 10 to 15 minutes each time.