Second board recommendations

Cyclist_123's picture
Cyclist_123 started the topic in Monday, 30 Mar 2020 at 9:25pm

Hi guys,

I currently have a 8'2 NSP mini Mal but I am looking for a second board for steeper, more punchy waves and to help progress my surfing as I improve.

I'm 78 kg 6'2. I have been surfing consistently for almost a year and generally surf around 13th beach but travel around the surf coast when I can.

What board would you guys recommend to step down to? I'm more than likely going to go secondhand so even a recommendation of dimensions to look out for would be great.

I'm currently looking at a strapper cruiser that's 6'6 x 20 5/8 x 2 9/16. Would something like this be appropriate for someone at my level?

quadzilla's picture
quadzilla's picture
quadzilla Tuesday, 31 Mar 2020 at 3:09pm

That's a BIG step down, if I was you I'd look at 7/0-7/6 used and once comfortable with that,perhaps go to 6/6-6/8?.

That strapper is more suited to 70-75 kgs.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 31 Mar 2020 at 4:09pm

Agree with quad, that's a dramatic difference especially for someone with only a years' experience.

A 7'0" to 7'6" would be a lot less of a shock and would still allow plenty of scope for improvement.

Cyclist_123's picture
Cyclist_123's picture
Cyclist_123 Tuesday, 31 Mar 2020 at 4:33pm

Thanks guys, I've just seen an Al Merrick Pod come up that's 7 x 23 x 3 1/8. I'm guessing it's a bitter older though as it has a round tail not the swallow that seems to pop up first on Google.

Do you think this would be more appropriate? I'm Still trying to figure out how much difference the tail design makes at my skill level and what I need to be looking out for in terms of shape and thickness.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 31 Mar 2020 at 4:50pm

A Webber fat burner may suit ...$150-180 should see you get something older but reasonable
6'10 ish...
That Merrick Pod is very Wide..

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 31 Mar 2020 at 4:55pm

forget about the board.

improve your skill.

Terminal's picture
Terminal's picture
Terminal Tuesday, 31 Mar 2020 at 8:57pm

In a way I'm with Freeride, I've seen plenty of guys start playing around with boards early on in their learning and it can actually slow their progress, sometimes to the point they give it away. That said, 8'2 is a lot of board to get into a hollower wave. Agree with udo, if you're going to go down, 6'10 would be the limit with plenty of width under your chest for stability on takeoff. I've never seen a beginner on an afterburner so can't comment there. When I was teaching my wife she stepped down from a 7'10 mini mal to a 6'10 southpoint bonga perkins epoxy. That seemed to work pretty well for her. Widish pintail also allowed easier rail to rail turn for going left/right as opposed to wide fish tail (harder for heelside turns). You can get those bonga boards for less than $150 second hand and they're bullet proof

mattlock's picture
mattlock's picture
mattlock Tuesday, 31 Mar 2020 at 10:09pm

It's the wave you need to learn to ride Grasshopper. Not the board.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 31 Mar 2020 at 11:01pm

Id go into a reputable proper surf shop with lots of second hand boards and be honest with the staff about your ability and waves you surf, even take your board (leave it in/on the car) so if they want to have a look at your board you are riding you can show them. (if you have footage of yourself surfing even better)

Personally the best thing that ever happened for my surfing was after about a year of surfing, a shaper that use to take me surfing shaped me a board, that was a refined version of my first board and my surfing improved instantly.

But that said I was 13 years old grommet and could pretty much surf/trim from day one as came from a skating background and also had the most perfect learning wave in my area..

PS. Just realised you surf around the surf coast, plenty of good proper surf shops there, id even do what i said in a few shops.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Wednesday, 1 Apr 2020 at 8:15am