Mexico Sayulita

bunny.arms-weis's picture
bunny.arms-weis started the topic in Friday, 6 Mar 2020 at 8:15am

Hi

Anyone been to Sayulita, or Punta Mita Mexico? WE are looking for a mellow long wave for a beginner SUP rider, and a
old longboarder. Looking for something really slow, like Waikiki. Preferably a point break, thats slow about 1-2', at least part of the year.
WE currently live near Cabo, Waves are over 4', really fast or flat all year. Rocky too! Moved here to retire and surf, but we are not getting any waves!

Any help appreciated, if you know these spots.

Thanks
BA

bunny.arms-weis Friday, 6 Mar 2020 at 8:19am
bunny.arms-weis wrote:

Hi

Anyone been to Sayulita, or Punta Mita Mexico? We are looking for a mellow long wave for a beginner SUP rider, and a
old longboarder. Looking for something really slow, like Waikiki. Preferably a point break, that is slow about 1-2', at least part of the year.
We currently live near Cabo, its always over 4' and fast or completely flat. Rocky too. . Moved here to retire and surf, but we are not getting any waves!

Any help appreciated, if you know these spots.

Thanks
BA

Bob Sacamano's picture
Bob Sacamano's picture
Bob Sacamano Wednesday, 15 Apr 2020 at 12:24pm

Hey BA,

Many years ago I was venturing northwards up the Pacific Coast of Mexico and I spent a week in Sayulita. Its a great longboard wave, sand over rock bottom beach break with a lot of consistency! And they make a mean michelada on the beach there. However its a place that, much like Cabo, really swells with tourists in the holiday periods. I guess what I'm saying is you'll have some nice fun waves but they will also come with the crowds and the most dangerous aspect of the surf is the beginner boards flying around. If you can dodge the high seasons I recommend a visit, its a pretty nice and safe coastal town. Living there may be the same as Cabo though, quite touristy.

Have you tried further around Cabo, up to Todos Santos? Theres some real good waves up there in the winter, albeit a little bigger and more challenging for your longboard. The smaller days still offer plenty and the place is a swell magnet in winter. Between Cerritos in El Pescadero and Todos Santos theres a lot of easy exploring to do and its quite safe to drive around and explore. Todos Santos is also a really cool town to hang out, my wife and I spent 6 weeks there in the winter (Dec/Jan) and really enjoyed ourselves.

Of course theres always Scorpion Bay if you're equipped for that drive?

I've done 3 trips to mexico and spent a bit of time there, in general the beaches along the pacific coast are fairly ass kicking. It's a very unforgiving stretch of coastline both in and out of the water. Can't say I know of too many slow peeling friendly points. Make your way down to the south of Oaxaca and then keep driving to El Salvador for those waves!

Joe-Swansea's picture
Joe-Swansea's picture
Joe-Swansea Wednesday, 17 Jun 2020 at 7:44pm

Was in Sayulita (actually San Pancho, which is just a little up the coast to the north and a WAY nicer town) this time last year. Waves are predominantly reef right handers, pretty mellow like you describe. However, there are big crowds! You won't have chill sessions. Punta Mita is better (look at the spots Stinky's and La Lancha if you want easy small waves). Summer sees huge S-SW swells so no good for SUP.