transport longboards by air asia

GONZALO's picture
GONZALO started the topic in Monday, 2 Mar 2020 at 1:31pm

I am going to travel to the Mentawais Island by air Asia, the sports equipment policy says that it can be transported up to 277 cm long, my bag board is 283. Can I carry them the same? Thanks a lot.

GONZALO's picture
GONZALO's picture
GONZALO Tuesday, 3 Mar 2020 at 3:23am

Any information I appreciate, as I travel soon

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 3 Mar 2020 at 4:09pm

Gonzalo..so your bagged board is 283cm in total length ?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 3 Mar 2020 at 7:06pm

Technically the answer is no, but the question is, at the airport you check your bags in will they bother to check or really care?

Could just come down to the individual worker on the day.

Sometimes these official airline measurements are ridiculous and in reality they don't stick to them, but 277cm is over 9ft sounds like a realistic length restriction that they might enforce.

GONZALO's picture
GONZALO's picture
GONZALO Tuesday, 3 Mar 2020 at 8:41pm

Thank you very much for the answers, if you measure 283 with the bag, only 6 centimeters more than allowed. I understand that there should be no problems but I don't want to leave anything to chance.

WarriSymbol's picture
WarriSymbol's picture
WarriSymbol Sunday, 8 Mar 2020 at 8:26pm

Generally but not always your board is stored in a ULD (unit load device). The same 'containers' your regular baggage is loaded into.
Different aircraft have different sized ULDs.

mugofsunshine's picture
mugofsunshine's picture
mugofsunshine Monday, 9 Mar 2020 at 9:44am

Warri is on the money here. You need to ask if that length allowance applies to all legs of your journey. I'm pretty sure AirAsia short haul (KUL-PDG) are all A320's, the ULD for them will take a 7'6" (8' if the baggage room are kind and have space to put it in diagonally). I think the A330's take a larger ULD (OOL-KUL).
Boeing 737's are an open hold and can take any length (Virgin).