Klotok, East Bali, Japanese Only

Krisbudd74's picture
Krisbudd74 started the topic in Saturday, 22 Feb 2020 at 10:05pm

Tried to surf Pantai Klotok Point today, turned up and saw about 7 people out, the wave were ok, parked my bike with my indo wife and was told by a rude local I can't surf here???
Apparently it's a Japanese only surf break now and has been for the last 5 months???
At first I thought he was joking but he said we have to leave and couldn't stay there or surf there...has anyone else heard of this...I'm abit confused how this is possible as I didn't know people could own a wave???
I love that wave but hadn't surfed it in awhile and was abit shocked and insulted to have him tell me this...sounds abit racist to me???

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Sunday, 23 Feb 2020 at 9:19pm

Sounds like he bluffed you mate , there are plenty of expats that live very close to that break and in the general area . I’ve got a few close friends there and no one has mentioned it to me . There are guides that will tell you to get out of the water at various breaks when they have a Japanese crew on tow , it’s up to you and how much hassle you want to put up with . I’ve been out at a break by myself that was 6-8 and fairly heavy on the day when a chartered fast boat pulled up full of japs . They didn’t bother watching just paddled straight over and went inside me about 20 meters. I was thinking that they must really know the place well and must rip , then a bomb set came through and cleaned all ten of them up lol , some were literally crying and it amazed me their guides let them paddle out without watching first. I continued my solo session quietly chuckling to myself at what just took place.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Monday, 24 Feb 2020 at 5:02am

Ive busted the locals before taking bribes from the Japanese to keep the break clear. Just as bad, hot young locals years ago in Lombok taking off deep so I would pull back and then they would all of a sudden pull out. Down the line another 30 metres a Japanese surfer takes off. Took me about an hour to figure out what was going on. I fronted the locals up about selling your soul for money and they got all embarrassed.The fact that the Japanese would even try and corrupt the locals really gets me going. Why not just be generous with all ya money rather than turn young locals into unbrotherly scammers.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Monday, 24 Feb 2020 at 8:01am

posting names of breaks that people have quietly been trying to enjoy without destroying the indo business model wasn't real bright ...just sayin... (edit button is your friend)

Womble123's picture
Womble123's picture
Womble123 Monday, 24 Feb 2020 at 8:26am

that's been a thing at Nusa Lembongan for twenty years or more

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 24 Feb 2020 at 9:38am

You’ve got to watch the Japanese surfers in Bali. Many are wolves in sheep’s clothing. A Brazilian or Aussie will just hassle you and leave you in no doubt as to their intentions, but the Japs can be sly ....all smiles as they get their paid local enforcer to police the lineup for them.

Don’t wear it. The standard you walk past is the standard you accept. The act of paying locals to block waves or gain exclusive access to breaks is universally unacceptable. It is not just against the spirit of surfing it is against the spirit of the ocean. Locals have priority to their waters ....paying foreigners do not.

Particularly after the little Japanese incursion into Indonesia during WW2 .

The Japanese hate direct confrontation so the easiest solution to the problem is escalation of conflict. Always smile and be friendly to the local guides but give it to the fuckwits who think they can price you out of the waves.

Drop in , lay directly in their path when they try to catch waves. Hassle the fuck out of them. And get them when they are away from their shepherd guides and get angry in their face. They will turn to water . Leave no doubt that what they’re doing is not going to be tolerated. Refuse to let the precedent be set to the best of your ability.

There’s a few responsibilities which come from being a surfer including always watching out for everyone else in the ocean and to do your best to educate people and prevent pollution into the water . This is another ....always fight for access to the coast and it’s waves.

loungelizard's picture
loungelizard's picture
loungelizard Monday, 24 Feb 2020 at 9:49am

on a land based mentawai trip once, Japanese older guy, didn't say a word for 7 days , always paddling inside , less often dropping in ,shrug of the shoulders with a "no comprende" look. on the last day he profusely thanked the owner in better English than mine.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Monday, 24 Feb 2020 at 10:13am

Its long been the case at Klotok on and off for years.

As for Japanese paying for surf guides well at least the money goes straight to a Balinese family unlike the 95% of the rest of the money that flows through Bali.

I don't have a problem with it its their breaks / their rules not like a Balinese can just jump on a plane and visit another country to indulge themselves in a endless self gratification and then start demanding everyone has to follow their rules..

Let's face it few Japanese surfing tourists will surf over solid 4 to 6ft anyway.

Mishad's picture
Mishad's picture
Mishad Monday, 24 Feb 2020 at 10:15am

This just pisses me off. I've spent a bit of time over there given having a business there, and used to love surfing the east coast prior to 2010. Was a quiet haven then, which wasn't even that long ago. Japanese are sly dogs by the sounds of it.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 24 Feb 2020 at 11:15am

Just tell the Bali guy your wife's father is a member of PDI party at a fairly high level and you will go see the local group or areas kepala desa (or whatever they call it in Balinesse)

Well my Indo wife's father is and if i ever have any issues with anyone even police this works, never failed.

Or yeah alternatively just blow the place up by starting a thread on the most active Aussie surf related forum :D

mickseq's picture
mickseq's picture
mickseq Monday, 24 Feb 2020 at 9:24pm

I got this at Keramas and never went back. I have never really found a problem with crowds at Indo except for the main breaks and have scored awesome waves at ordinary spots with not many people quite regularly. I think that when people don't frequent Indo that much they may tend to go to the spots everyone knows so always experience crowds IMO. Best to spend some time off the beaten track

troppo dichotomy's picture
troppo dichotomy's picture
troppo dichotomy Tuesday, 25 Feb 2020 at 12:28pm

The death of another surf spot!2005 an english guy took me to Ricki's right.if u werent on his surf tour he would try and run u over in his boat,chase u down the beach with rocks and want to punch on.he was a lunatic but provided a beautiful service.
There was there was a small group of xpats that would surf when the lokal tour guide(from nusa lombongan) wasnt around.i was lucky to surf it a few times empty or with just a few crew.the xpats were very nice and said please dont tell anyone.at the time i didnt care so much as i was interested in other destinations.
Words got out!went back to check it out last year and was amazed at the crowds!made me sad and i realized i did care.how quick a spot can totally change forever.we're running out of surf real estate unless you got a lot of money to go the extra mile.

mickseq's picture
mickseq's picture
mickseq Tuesday, 25 Feb 2020 at 4:55pm

there is miles of coastline in Indonesia with fun reef breaks and no one on them all day every day, the thing is, is that not many will make the trip and then surf it by themselves

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 25 Feb 2020 at 6:06pm

I think thats overstating things, IMHO we are now at the point where pretty much every area of Indo with quality consistent waves has resort, camps, losmens, charters on them.

Yeah sure there are areas of coast with waves that are still uncrowded, but they fall into five areas.

1. Indo Pacific region = Super fickle and best in off season, basically that time of year you could often get better fairly uncrowded waves at main area's of Indo anyway.

2. Various pockets of coast between South Sumatra to Rote, that have various quality waves but face into main season trade winds, so are either off season spots or are generally blown out by SE trade winds fairly early many tidal so need to line up tides with early morning, so basically surf early and then have the day to kill crossing fingers for a LAGO

3. Areas of Sumatra that are exposed to trade winds, and are often remote so less visited by charter and not as viable for resort/surf camps (Enggano to Thunders) and then Islands of North Aceh

For example the very South Mentawai's lighthouse, hole area still doesn't have a resort or camp, but logistically it's very far from anywhere so would be costly to run and a logic nightmare and in a year like 2019 with non stop southerly you would have had many guys get totally skunked, its going to be interesting if a resort/camp, ever pops up there for this reason (exposed to South winds that are strongest down south)

4. Odd areas, nooks and crannies that only come to life on very big swells or swells from the right direction and rarely get very big, more novelty spots.

5. Miles of crappy beach breaks with maybe the odd sneaky little reef (think much of Java and much of Sumatra mainland outside of Krui area that gets swell.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 25 Feb 2020 at 8:54pm

And still G-land takes the cake..

Has anyone scored ombak tujuh? Like proper size?
Just a big take off? What size board etc etc...

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 26 Feb 2020 at 11:34am

Surfed it a few times years ago, maybe 8-10ft+. First year undergunned on a 6'8" Michael Anthony, next year I took a 7'2" Banksy specifically for OT.

Little bit like Mainbreak Margs. Good that it's different to typical Indo waves but not sure I'd bother putting much effort into chasing it again.

Ray Shirlaw's picture
Ray Shirlaw's picture
Ray Shirlaw Wednesday, 26 Feb 2020 at 11:44am

Um.........Shit wave. Never go there

hahnsolo's picture
hahnsolo's picture
hahnsolo Tuesday, 30 Jan 2024 at 9:05am

The japanese are taking over Arrawarra. There are 3 times more there than previous years. They paddle out in groups of 5 and just take over , really rude and constantly dropping in-whilst smiling at you. The older locals dont seem to care so its getting worse. Ok its not that good of a wave bit its our go to. thanks for the warnings about Bali. Ill be on the East Coast in March. i got upset the other day when a Jap chick paddled under me and a another jap dude thrashed down the face on the out side whilst I was paddling for a wave and I swore at them and another aussie guy in the water told me i was out of line and told the japs it wasnt their fault and he was a tourist!!! Im trying to stay calm and enjoy surfing but its getting harder

mickseq's picture
mickseq's picture
mickseq Monday, 12 Feb 2024 at 8:10pm
hahnsolo wrote:

The japanese are taking over Arrawarra. There are 3 times more there than previous years. They paddle out in groups of 5 and just take over , really rude and constantly dropping in-whilst smiling at you. The older locals dont seem to care so its getting worse. Ok its not that good of a wave bit its our go to. thanks for the warnings about Bali. Ill be on the East Coast in March. i got upset the other day when a Jap chick paddled under me and a another jap dude thrashed down the face on the out side whilst I was paddling for a wave and I swore at them and another aussie guy in the water told me i was out of line and told the japs it wasnt their fault and he was a tourist!!! Im trying to stay calm and enjoy surfing but its getting harder

The trick is not to take Bali too seriously, one way to help with the blood pressure is to swing a longneck back before you paddle out, otherwise propranolol works

Slackjawedyokel's picture
Slackjawedyokel Monday, 12 Feb 2024 at 8:17pm

I highly recommend reading “ Unbroken “ by Laura Hillenbrand.

That’ll soon put paid to thoughts of gently accomodating Japanese aggressiveness outside of Japan.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Monday, 12 Feb 2024 at 8:35pm

Haha just got to this thread.
Back in the day Ricky in his blue boat would come around and clear the water of all bule. It was smart to take his advice as he didn't mind handling out some violence.
Yep stay away from easy coast Bali, not enough waves, pretty crappy and over run with Japanese and their local guides...

Slackjawedyokel Monday, 12 Feb 2024 at 8:46pm

Curious to know how many Swellnet readers are currently in Bali.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Monday, 12 Feb 2024 at 10:07pm
andy-mac wrote:

Back in the day Ricky in his blue boat would come around and clear the water of all bule. It was smart to take his advice as he didn't mind handling out some violence.
Yep stay away from easy coast Bali, not enough waves, pretty crappy and over run with Japanese and their local guides...

I witnessed a kiwi give ricky an absolutely flogging on the beach at Lembongan . This kiwi punched the shit out of ricky and the locals just stood back and watched . They knew he deserved it and plenty of the accomodation owners applauded it as their paying guests had complained for years about the harassment they were getting of him . He certainly bit of more than he could chew when he challenged this kiwi fella to a fight on the beach . Only the occasional boat turns up to shippies these days .When lassos is on anything can happen, boats coming from all directions but you can luck in if there’s important ceremonies happening . I’ve talked to local surfers and pointed out that if paying guests get harassed in the surf then they won’t be back . They rely heavily on tourists for all their businesses . There is no longer police on Lembongan since covid . Even the tourist police are gone . Any disputes that can’t be resolved get handled by penida police these days .

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 13 Feb 2024 at 5:51am

Supa from what I’ve heard laying into a Balinese can be risky business.
Could of easily gone the other way and turned out very bad for kiwi bro.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Tuesday, 13 Feb 2024 at 6:44am
Supafreak wrote:
andy-mac wrote:

I witnessed a kiwi give ricky an absolutely flogging on the beach at Lembongan . This kiwi punched the shit out of ricky and the locals just stood back and watched . They knew he deserved it and plenty of the accomodation owners applauded it as their paying guests had complained for years about the harassment they were getting of him . He certainly bit of more than he could chew when he challenged this kiwi fella to a fight on the beach . Only the occasional boat turns up to shippies these days .When lassos is on anything can happen, boats coming from all directions but you can luck in if there’s important ceremonies happening . I’ve talked to local surfers and pointed out that if paying guests get harassed in the surf then they won’t be back . They rely heavily on tourists for all their businesses . There is no longer police on Lembongan since covid . Even the tourist police are gone . Any disputes that can’t be resolved get handled by penida police these days .

Yep he had upset quite a few people.
Won't mention names but similar thing on East Coast now, cops were called and stopped the nonsense from one aggressive Balinese local. I've never had a real problem, smile have a chat in bahasa, show respect and you'll go ok. Do opposite and ya sent in sometimes with a slap, in the past anyway.
If they have their paying Japanese guests go have a coffee or let them get their share. They never bring them when waves are proper.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Tuesday, 13 Feb 2024 at 6:49am

Accidentally dropped in on big Dede one day at keramas in about 2002, came up about 2 metres beside him.. a lot of minta maaf's were said. :)
He was ok, but didn't make the same mistake again. Haha

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 13 Feb 2024 at 8:03am
goofyfoot wrote:

Supa from what I’ve heard laying into a Balinese can be risky business.
Could of easily gone the other way and turned out very bad for kiwi bro.

Totally agree goofyfoot , there has been plenty of cases of bule’s going to jail for 6 months to 2 years for getting in fights with locals plus huge financial cost . This was a great case of Balinese karma and ricky really pulled his head in afterwards and didn’t come back for ages . He once challenged a fight with a good Aussie mate who lived on the island married to a local . This guy was an ex commando and sevrved 3 tours of Timor , 2 Iraq and 2 Afghanistan. He excepted ricky’s challenge and wasn’t until ricky hit the beach and was informed who this Aussie was that he backed down and apologised to my mate . Andy -mac is right in his approach and you don’t see them if there’s any real size . They generally don’t stay out very long . Saying hello and giving the Japanese a friendly vibe rather than stink eye also helps, try starting up a conversation and having a laugh can make a huge difference . That story I posted up the page from 2020 was a hilarious situation that I’ll never forget .

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 13 Feb 2024 at 8:12am
andy-mac wrote:

Accidentally dropped in on big Dede one day at keramas in about 2002, came up about 2 metres beside him.. a lot of minta maaf's were said. :)

He was over here with 3 guests a few weeks ago . He’s ok if you give him and guests some space. Again they don’t stay out long and if it picks up they vanish pretty quickly. All these guides that come over to Lembongan from sanur are either originally from Lembongan or have family there .

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Tuesday, 13 Feb 2024 at 9:50am
Supafreak wrote:
andy-mac wrote:

He was over here with 3 guests a few weeks ago . He’s ok if you give him and guests some space. Again they don’t stay out long and if it picks up they vanish pretty quickly. All these guides that come over to Lembongan from sanur are either originally from Lembongan or have family there .

Yeah not bad guys once you are a familiar face.

Surfed a lot with Noodles and Ompong, and always cool, as is Dede.
Out of loop now, but didn't Dede get a boat and does Deserts runs?

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 13 Feb 2024 at 12:07pm
andy-mac wrote:
Supafreak wrote:
andy-mac wrote:

Im not sure who’s boat it is or if he does deserts runs . Did you ever meet a local from Lembongan lives in sanur and has Japanese wife , his name is kombong ? funniest guy you could ever meet.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Tuesday, 13 Feb 2024 at 12:29pm
Supafreak wrote:
andy-mac wrote:
Supafreak wrote:
andy-mac wrote:

Im not sure who’s boat it is or if he does deserts runs . Did you ever meet a local from Lembongan lives in sanur and has Japanese wife , his name is kombong ? funniest guy you could ever meet.

Yep that is Noodles. :)
Good guy great surfer was with Billabong for years.

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 13 Feb 2024 at 12:34pm
andy-mac wrote:
Supafreak wrote:
andy-mac wrote:
Supafreak wrote:
andy-mac wrote:

Oh ok , I’m guessing it’s noodles because of his hair. I’ve never heard him been called that before and known him since he was a little kid , champion bloke and what a character .

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Tuesday, 13 Feb 2024 at 12:42pm
Supafreak wrote:
andy-mac wrote:
Supafreak wrote:
andy-mac wrote:
Supafreak wrote:
andy-mac wrote:

Oh ok , I’m guessing it’s noodles because of his hair. I’ve never heard him been called that before and known him since he was a little kid , champion bloke and what a character .

Yeah, don't know him really well but have known him for years.
Had a mate who worked with Billabong so initially met him at those kinds of events, then just around the traps.

Good guy to know in water if you are surfing east coast Bali. haha

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Tuesday, 13 Feb 2024 at 12:46pm

It’s pretty flat here today, might be waist to shoulder around the corner, this weather is just awesome though . IMG-5797

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Tuesday, 13 Feb 2024 at 12:55pm
Supafreak wrote:

It’s pretty flat here today, might be waist to shoulder around the corner, this weather is just awesome though . IMG-5797

Better view than what I've got at the moment..
Enjoy!!

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Tuesday, 13 Feb 2024 at 4:37pm
Supafreak wrote:
andy-mac wrote:
Supafreak wrote:
andy-mac wrote:

Does his wife bogeyboard?

After Kommune opened at Keramas a Balinese was blocking me for his Japanese misses and Japanese clients, we exchanged smiles over it,

I went in as a heap of Sanur guys also turned up, I got out and headed up to Choo Choo.

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Tuesday, 13 Feb 2024 at 5:32pm
I focus wrote:
Supafreak wrote:
andy-mac wrote:
Supafreak wrote:
andy-mac wrote:

Does his wife bogeyboard?

After Kommune opened at Keramas a Balinese was blocking me for his Japanese misses and Japanese clients, we exchanged smiles over it,

I went in as a heap of Sanur guys also turned up, I got out and headed up to Choo Choo.

Not sure...
Sounds like ya made the right move...

Dumai's picture
Dumai's picture
Dumai Tuesday, 13 Feb 2024 at 5:56pm

Never had a problem .Anywhere.
Kombong’s a good bloke
Funny fucker,rips