The Fire's picture
The Fire started the topic in Monday, 26 Aug 2019 at 10:23am

Hi, interested to know.

Any one on here been there?

Thanks.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 27 Aug 2019 at 6:08am

I haven't been, but there's quite a few listings on AirB&B. Of course, you've gotta sort flights and transfers too.

The Fire's picture
The Fire's picture
The Fire Tuesday, 27 Aug 2019 at 7:42am

Flights booked! Locked in for end of sept. Trying to avoid staying at the advertised places.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 27 Aug 2019 at 7:54am

Great stuff. Look up Simon Thornton, he should be able to sort something out for you.

Jono's picture
Jono's picture
Jono Tuesday, 27 Aug 2019 at 8:43am

Seeing how fun and perfect it looked during the elimination round (of the comp earlier this week) got me wondering - does it get crowded when it's small and perfect like that? I know it gets crowded whenever solid, but has anybody holidayed there when small(er)?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 27 Aug 2019 at 8:45am

I've heard no Jono, even when it's 6-8ft the locals are so picky and only chase it when perfect.. At the size on the comp I'd say you'd almost have it to yourself during the week.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 27 Aug 2019 at 9:40am

it's surfed more now I've heard Jono but yeah, when small it's often uncrowded, unattended.
locals are very cool as long as you are cool and respectful.

Biggest drawback of the locals is you getting called into waves you want no part of.

Jono's picture
Jono's picture
Jono Tuesday, 27 Aug 2019 at 10:04am

Sounds great - imagine scoring a few days of glassy 3-4ft chopes with just some mates and a few mellow locals.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 27 Aug 2019 at 10:29am

couple of other really fun reef passes there too on small days.

you'll be surprised how heavy 3-4ft Chopes is though.

you're banging that bottom every time on the inside.

The Fire's picture
The Fire's picture
The Fire Saturday, 28 Sep 2019 at 9:14am

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Tuesday, 27 Aug 2019 at 4:14pm

I remember thinking this through TF when I went in 09 and I saw rain on the forecast. Thinking, so how is this going to play out, am I going to be knocking on doors in the rain, asking for a bed?
When we turned up, the guy at the restaurant approached us and offered a few places to stay. I’ve still got Alexis email if you want it chase me down. His place was great, you’ll be eating on the water in front of the break. Alexis cooked us the most amazing poisson crue, while we watched small sharks swim metres from us with large Chopes thundering behind. The convenience store that is a 10 minute walk away has all the supplies you’ll need at similar prices to home. $35 a night inc breakfast but I’m sure that’s gone up a bit since then. Ive got no idea if he’s still on the rental program. There was very little English there as well, learn some French!

The Fire's picture
The Fire's picture
The Fire Saturday, 28 Sep 2019 at 9:15am

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 28 Aug 2019 at 9:30am

Thorto put me and my wife up in one of the Billabong huts (two identical houses right in front of the wave). I could hang in the loft watching the wave, waiting for conditions to change, crowds were never a problem, and we ate every meal on the verandah overlooking the lagoon and wave. The wife was pregnant so I ate her entrees (soft cheeses a big no no), rescued her by scarfing all the poisson cru (raw fish also off limits), and wouldn't dare let a drop of the Bordeaux touch her lips.

Some good waves on Moorea, though many are harder to access than Chopes due to  long paddles - except for Temae which breaks on the shore, but is fickle. Make sure you also get over there.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 28 Aug 2019 at 9:36am

How’d you go at Chopes Stu? Hard wave to surf properly?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 28 Aug 2019 at 9:48am

Went there twice for, I think, a week each time yet never had a session over five or six foot. At that size it reminded me of solid Aussie Pipe more than anything. Steep takeoff, but not ridiculous, and then a clean lip line and fairly predictable pit, boils in the barrel, and a good chance of contact if you don't make it.

Few times it teased me, showing signs of what happens over six foot. Had a boatload of barrels but never felt like I got it, if you know what I mean.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 28 Aug 2019 at 9:55am

Gonna go back there soon. The wife is keen 'cos of the reasons above: she wants to make up for all the cheese, fish, and wine she missed out on first time around.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 28 Aug 2019 at 9:59am

Sounds like a blast. Those smaller ones look so perfect. Actually so do the bigger ones but my balls aren’t that big.
The mountains and water clarity and the whole deal make it look amazing

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Wednesday, 28 Aug 2019 at 3:46pm

How did you go with access to waves?

Teahupoo looks like a pretty easy paddle, but what about other spots?

Are boats affordable?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 28 Aug 2019 at 4:49pm

Long paddles, IB. Simple as that. Teahupoo is the easiest of the reef passes. Closer to town, Taapuna is probably a half km paddle, but everything else is longer than that. You can probably get boats but I just paddled everything. That said, you need boats to get to the passes south of Chopes. No way to paddle that distance.

Over on Moorea I surfed a bend in the reef that required a kilometre paddle out to a reef pass, then another kilometre paddle down to the wave. No-one around and no boats so I had to do it solo. Got five or six waves before getting drydocked on the reef, calling the session quits and paddling the kilometre back across the lagoon.

Totally spent at the end of it, but the fun wasn't over 'cos a crab stole the car key I'd stashed and I had to hitchhike back to the other side of the island and tell my wife I was OK - I'd been gone for hours.

Ha'apiti is also about a kilometre paddle so I just planned one really long session each day. The fella who owns the boat access over there was away so I couldn't call on him.

I almost got sucked out through the reef there on a huge day. It's so far away I didn't know how big it was and realised almost too late that it was fucking massive, and with all the water inside the reef sucking out through the lone reef pass I had to work for ages to beat the current that had hold of me like a death ray. Close call, that one.

Boats would help.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Wednesday, 28 Aug 2019 at 8:07pm

Thanks, Stu.

Good to hear about the paddle access. I do a ton of paddling at home, and 1k paddles don't phase me - as long as you don't end up getting sucked out to sea!

The Fire's picture
The Fire's picture
The Fire Saturday, 28 Sep 2019 at 9:07am

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 23 Sep 2019 at 3:26pm

They the identical ones on the point?

Killer forecast you've landed amongst. Tell us about that.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 23 Sep 2019 at 3:33pm

Oh be aware that the models are combining a close-range swell with a very long-range long-period swell and over forecasting the size today and tomorrow. Still there should be solid sets pushing through.

The Fire's picture
The Fire's picture
The Fire Saturday, 28 Sep 2019 at 9:06am

Locals been cleaning up all the best ones.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 23 Sep 2019 at 4:40pm

Epic, thanks for the updates, keep them coming!

The Fire's picture
The Fire's picture
The Fire Saturday, 28 Sep 2019 at 9:05am

Today the tahitians.

All over it.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 28 Sep 2019 at 9:09am

Do you mean that they’re talented or that you aren’t getting a look in ?

The Fire's picture
The Fire's picture
The Fire Saturday, 28 Sep 2019 at 9:31am

Both.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 28 Sep 2019 at 9:57am

Brutal, Indo- local style overrun of the break or friendly exploitation of local advantage ?

The Fire's picture
The Fire's picture
The Fire Sunday, 29 Sep 2019 at 4:47pm

i wouldnt recommend it as a surf destination.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 29 Sep 2019 at 4:48pm

Really? Why?

Too hard to get waves now..?

The Fire's picture
The Fire's picture
The Fire Monday, 30 Sep 2019 at 12:53pm

Times have changed i guess.