Medewi

crip's picture
crip started the topic in Sunday, 25 Aug 2019 at 10:25pm

Wondering what Medewi is like these days?
I'm looking at alternatives to G-Land for me and my (non - surfing) wife if the comp goes ahead next June.
I've heard the wave is long but a bit fat and sloppy. That's ok if it's got a bit of size or push but crappy if small.
I presume it picks up a reasonable amount of swell?
Trades direction looks ok on the map - no probs there?
What are crowds like these days? Etiquette ok? Any self-entitled expat "locals"?
Any other useful info?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 26 Aug 2019 at 6:36am

Definitlely not an alternative to G'Land! Much slower, popular with longboarders. Reasonably busy too by all accounts.

mickseq's picture
mickseq's picture
mickseq Monday, 26 Aug 2019 at 7:58am

I surfed it for 4 days early dec last year. First day in pm, me and 2 others out, next day am 50-70 people out, next day am 10-20 out. Also there are breaks north and south away from the crowds

mickseq's picture
mickseq's picture
mickseq Monday, 26 Aug 2019 at 7:59am

I’ll be back in 4 weeks, I like to warm up there before I go heavy somewhere else lol

crip's picture
crip's picture
crip Tuesday, 27 Aug 2019 at 7:12am

Thanks Mick.
How big was it when there was 50-70 out? I'm going to guess it was a nice comfortable size, say about head-high? Then maybe it got a bit big for most of them?

mickseq's picture
mickseq's picture
mickseq Tuesday, 27 Aug 2019 at 8:01pm

I would say 4-5ft Oz size, quite consistent and about 60-70% learners sitting further in. For the time I was there it wasn't breaking all the way through so you could sit in a bit deeper than everyone else and get plenty of short rides. The last morning I was there I went out at daylight with just 6-7 others until more came out around 9. It was slightly bigger but the tide was lower and was running fast and was good. I would say its just a fun wave. Few other ozzies there that were good surfers and enjoying it as well.

Jono's picture
Jono's picture
Jono Tuesday, 27 Aug 2019 at 8:47pm

Hey Crip, if you go to G-land before the comp then it should still be ok right? Or are you thinking crowds will be up if it's mentioned a bit during the build up to the WSL season?

crip's picture
crip's picture
crip Wednesday, 28 Aug 2019 at 11:09pm

Hi Jono. Would be going a couple of weeks before the start of the comp so probably would be some early arrivals plus all the peeps setting up the infrastructure. And probably a flurry of last minute work around the camps. All adds up to probably not a typical mellow atmosphere and not many spare waves.

MidWestMonger's picture
MidWestMonger's picture
MidWestMonger Thursday, 29 Aug 2019 at 3:39pm

Tips for Medewi? The super low tide is no good. As its 3 hours from Kuta expect company from 9am onwards. Staying close has its rewards. Trades blow pretty cool weather and sideshore, Dont be surprised at wearing a cardy at sunset drinks. Cheap bike (moped) rental $10 a day at the laundry halfway down the point road. Beer is elusive in this Muslim area. Stores that stock it have to be hunted for. Take sufficient duty free. Buying a Medewi Point Break t-shirt from the ding repair shop off the street for $20 makes instant friends with the local rippers (and helps the community).

Doublems111's picture
Doublems111's picture
Doublems111 Friday, 30 Aug 2019 at 12:04pm

I was staying at Canggu and decided to hit Medewi for a day due to the size of swell arriving. Canggu was unsurfable at 8 to 10 foot so think it was a good call. I surfed Medewi at well overhead (maybe double) and have to say.... sorry... Its fat and weak. As a normal shortboarder I'll go crazy there as its really nice drops and then cutbacks, cutback cutback. I've never been to g-land but cant see these two being in the same conversation. Long wave, great atmosphere and cool locals and the drive was quite fun too but I was really underwhelmed by the wave. A Fish, Mal and longboard or even finnless would be the go. Dont pack the 6'2.