Tom Carroll Bio movie

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Saturday, 13 Jul 2019 at 7:05pm

I’ve been trying to scratch the TC itch lately. Scrounging around the Internet looking for clips of this Aussie great working his magic.

Disappointing paucity of Tom’s searing rail work and brutal lip bashes.

Come on Quiksilver , do this legend justice and craft a worthy summation of his greatest hits. I’m thinking an Occumentary style Tomathon - great tunes , previously unseen clips of Tom’s global sessions , Pipe domination and shit-eating Tommy Carroll grins as he regales us with articulate and personable perspectives of a life spent burying the rail , imposing himself into threatening caverns of cascading water and dropping in on half the surfing universe.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 13 Jul 2019 at 7:09pm

It’s a shame that Jack “ Best in the business “ McCoy is phasing out of the game. He would have hit the production bullseye like a board in Tommy Gun’s date.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 13 Jul 2019 at 7:30pm

Video is just 11 seconds long and it's not the greatest turn you've ever seen but the context is cool.

It's TC putting on a dress rehearsal to his 1991 Pipeline snap, done 7 years earlier at the 1984 Pipe Masters, meaning the '91 version wasn't as spontaneous as thought. He'd considered that line, the mid-face snap, for years beforehand.

And the guy he paddles in underneath?

Derek Ho. Same guy he vanquished in the '87 and '91 Pipe finals.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 13 Jul 2019 at 7:40pm

The performance lift in 7 years was astounding.

There’s got to be some A grade footage of TC floating around out there....unappreciated.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 13 Jul 2019 at 7:48pm

The same video I found that wave there are guys paddling out on single fins. In fact, Joey Buran wins the comp, the Pipe Masters, on a singley.

The line from takeoff to channel was still considered a razor's edge, a late drop and straight line to the channel, but what stands out to me is that TC is telegraphing a futuristic approach to the wave.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 13 Jul 2019 at 7:59pm

Unappreciated...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 13 Jul 2019 at 8:22pm

Run Tom !!!

Lanky Dean's picture
Lanky Dean's picture
Lanky Dean Sunday, 14 Jul 2019 at 10:07am

Wow.

Lanky Dean's picture
Lanky Dean's picture
Lanky Dean Sunday, 14 Jul 2019 at 10:12am

I wonder how much of tom, Kelly watched in a mirror?
T C .....

Lanky Dean's picture
Lanky Dean's picture
Lanky Dean Sunday, 14 Jul 2019 at 10:10am

Blowin,
Have you read the TC book ?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 14 Jul 2019 at 4:54pm

Yes , but not for years.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Sunday, 14 Jul 2019 at 7:07pm

2 mins of classic TC love

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 14 Jul 2019 at 7:40pm

Appreciate the link , Westof. But I’ve been there ,done that.

Need . More . TC.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 14 Jul 2019 at 8:01pm

All Down The Line @ 10 mins -A couple of TC at Gland.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 14 Jul 2019 at 8:07pm

Saw it on the big screen . Unbelievable. His attack at Angoure is unmatched. The Gland gear is gold too.

Need more Udo.

Thanks anyway.

Come on Quiksilver. Do your marquee surfers justice.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Monday, 15 Jul 2019 at 6:09am

He might have mellowed out now but back in the day TC was a renowned drop in prick.

dimdim's picture
dimdim's picture
dimdim Monday, 15 Jul 2019 at 8:04am

He was not known as the nicest person in the world.
Funny when his brother Nick said "Everybody loved Tom ".
Never met the guy myself but his reputation preceded him.
Respect though. Someone who publicly describes himself as a junky after all he has accomplished has learnt the lesson of humility.
Good luck Tom.

Laurie McGinness's picture
Laurie McGinness's picture
Laurie McGinness Monday, 15 Jul 2019 at 10:32am

I'll put in a good word for him. I have known him since he was a grom and I still see him from time to time. I've always found him to be very approachable, friendly and down to earth.

Jamyardee's picture
Jamyardee's picture
Jamyardee Monday, 15 Jul 2019 at 10:31am

The Performers vid had a great section of TC, especially out at Sunset. Mad Wax had a little as well, and the closing scene of All Down the Line was great TC at G-Land. Last year there was a doco about Tom and his unreleased photos, he had some rippers from over the years that he took. Surfed the same break as him 3 or 4 years ago, still an animal in the water, but he was not dropping in.