paying for quality surf photos of yourself...

cazza76's picture
cazza76 started the topic in Friday, 28 Jun 2019 at 12:15pm

Hi Guys,

So I'm wanting to shoot mostly water photos with my DSLR/housing and sell the shots to punters for a fair price for both parties.
I know some guys froth for photos and others couldn't care less so the replies here will be vastly different.
Obviously costing would depend on what the photo is like (wave not so much quality) however what would you consider a fair price for say one single decent shot?

Looking to do this as a bit of a side hustle so wanting to be paid well but at the same time i don't want to be a rip off and offend.

Lets for arguments sake say the shot is you carving a turn or in the barrel fairly close up what would you think is a fair price?

I recently went to Lunas and took a pretty sick 6 shot sequence and sold the shots but thats kinda a novelty spot and worth a few more dollars..

Cheers

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 29 Jun 2019 at 9:54am

$25 ...$50 ... ?

Laurie McGinness's picture
Laurie McGinness's picture
Laurie McGinness Saturday, 29 Jun 2019 at 11:20am

Sounds about right for the digital file and personal use only. You probably need to make that clear as you should retain the rights to your work.

Bnkref's picture
Bnkref's picture
Bnkref Sunday, 30 Jun 2019 at 11:05am

Give yourself some danger pay for Lunas!

$50 might be a bit much for average punters. Although if it's a ripper of a shot that seems like a fair price.

Maybe some sort of discount if you're buying a sequence.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 30 Jun 2019 at 11:19am

$50 for a single photo.....no chance.

dastasha's picture
dastasha's picture
dastasha Sunday, 30 Jun 2019 at 2:11pm

Actually you should try that at Snapper.
Plenty of aspiring pros there needing a personal photographer.

Sorry;) unless your names McCoy or Tullemans and its 900x600

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 30 Jun 2019 at 2:16pm

Im not sure exactly what the rates are as never bought them myself.

But in Indo what i believe they normally do is say charge $10 for a good pic you buy two good ones for $20 or 3 good ones for $25 and then they throw in the rest of the other so so ones of you.

Personally if i was playing $50 for one pic it would have to be something very special or a decent water pic.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 30 Jun 2019 at 2:49pm

$50 it would have to be a perfectly focused shot of me winning the Pipe Masters in front of an adoring crowd consisting entirely of naked , oiled up Margot Robbies.

Hellmanrider's picture
Hellmanrider's picture
Hellmanrider Saturday, 6 Jul 2019 at 7:34pm

$10-20 for single. $50 for whole session 10+waves

toneranger's picture
toneranger's picture
toneranger Monday, 8 Jul 2019 at 4:42pm

let's say just before you went for that surf to get that shotand your tap washer shit itself and a plumber came out to fix it,$50 dollars for a surf shot would be a bargain.pretty well all tradie rates start at $60plus gst an hour.who's driving down to the beach,fins,wetsuit,camera,paddle out click,click.home develop.$50 is a nick.I'D PAY IT ALL DAY

ojackojacko's picture
ojackojacko's picture
ojackojacko Monday, 8 Jul 2019 at 5:47pm

I'll pay $50 for a shot of me as described by Blowin - might even go to 60

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 8 Jul 2019 at 7:39pm

Edit: Ever read something back that you thought was funny at the time but realise is just stupid?

That last comment was one of those times.