https://imgur.com/549HlGJ

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Tuesday, 11 Jun 2019 at 11:20am

i'd take either 1 or 2 if you are in SE QLD & the price is right

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 31 Aug 2019 at 12:45am

Do you want us to pay to review your product ?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 2 Apr 2020 at 4:34pm

While we're back on an old boards thread, can anyone shed any light on this board - age, significance etc.

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Thursday, 2 Apr 2020 at 4:44pm

Wasn't energy one of simon's earliest labels? That could be a first gen thruster.

Pretty sure dad's got one tucked away under the house... rode it a couple of times as a grom.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 2 Apr 2020 at 4:47pm

I'm thinking same.

That could be a very significant board.

Paging Stu.

Any more info on its provenance Andy?

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 2 Apr 2020 at 5:00pm

Surely you are trolling Andy.
I got's me one of them. They surf surprisingly well today. You can do backhand takeoffs under the lip say 4-5ft and it's pitching, and the board just holds and holds and holds. How thick are the fins in that Andy? Mine are thiccc
It's relatively short arc, but those were the times. Again, you can open up and generate speed backhand really well on them. 10/10 one of the all time designs. Age? First demo one was Oct '80, so production with those decals (which ours has too) - '81 or '82?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 2 Apr 2020 at 6:34pm

Nah not trolling at all VJ.
Not that I need you to tell me Simon shaped it in the early 80s :)

Just wondering how early in the piece the big fella might have shaped it and whether it's one of many or whether it's got some significance.

For the record I'm looking at keeping it not flipping it or whatever.

I think the story goes that Simon's brother used to work at my workplace and I believe he gave this board to a friend of mine.

I ended up digging the board out of a container on the friend's farm across the river when they were having a fire sale before bailing back overseas.

And yes I told her of its probable lineage!

Unbelievably good nick for a near-40 year old board.

linez's picture
linez's picture
linez Thursday, 2 Apr 2020 at 6:56pm

Have you surfed it Andy?
Sorry, haven't got a clue apart from what's already been said, just wondering how it goes.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 2 Apr 2020 at 7:10pm

Looks possibly 1st gen to me.

I had a very early 1st Gen Scott begs thruster, was so early the thruster decals were air brushed.

I put it on E-Bay and the collectors went crazy over it, even guys from USA, messaging questions, from memory i got $3,600.00 for it.

And then i went and blew it on Cryptocurrency :D

It was an ugly board though, had a horrible spray (that board looks much nicer)

I found it in a guys shed i was doing a job at and got it for just over $100 so, basically easy come easy go.

Have a few local made 80s boards with the sickest sprays though that i love, one is complete mint from about 85-87
One is an old sponsored board of Gary Dorington father of Brent and Luke, Gary was also a good surfer i think he had a crack on the tour at one stage, will have to post some pics of my few I've still got.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 2 Apr 2020 at 7:16pm

Cheers all.

No linez, haven't surfed it, I think it'd just be too small for me, board's around 6ft and pretty thick but it's way smaller than what I usually ride.

Will probably give it a crack one day.

I remember riding an original Wayne Lynch single fin (maybe 6'6") years ago and it was beautiful, trimmed perfectly and was so smooth and drew fantastic lines.

Of course this thruster with short radius turns will be totally different but interesting nonetheless, assuming it floats me and I can paddle it.

Fliplid's picture
Fliplid's picture
Fliplid Thursday, 2 Apr 2020 at 7:22pm

Simon Anderson is the only shaper I've heard acknowledge Geoff McCoy's contribution to design with his no nose idea. Can definitely see that influence in the planshape of that board

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 2 Apr 2020 at 7:25pm

Got any shaper's marks on it, Andy? SA? SB?

Anything at all..?

I came across a site a while ago that had every Energy logo and the dates they were used. Sometimes there were only small changes between versions but it was a great way to date a board. I'll try and find it again.

Regardless of shaper or exact date, it's a good board from a very important design era. Don't go blowing it on cryptocurrency.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 2 Apr 2020 at 7:29pm

If pressed, I'd say it was '82 or '83. A slightly more refined version of the flyer, rounded-square planshape on the Coke/Bells boards.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 2 Apr 2020 at 7:40pm

It's got something in pencil right down at the tail on the bottom, maybe a three digit number or maybe some initials, it's under a little shatter and very hard to read, I'll have a look in the daylight tomorrow.

No cryptocurrency for me.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 2 Apr 2020 at 9:20pm

You know its not the money so much, but it just sucks that the story wasn't completed.

It could have been a real good story that i could have spun for the rest of my life, you know those stories you love to tell over a few beers to anyone who will listen.

Could have been: Found board in shed bought for $100 sold for $3,600 added about $1,400 to that and cashed out at $18,000 making $16,500

But instead it turned out to be:

Found board in shed bought for $100 sold for $3,600 added about $1,400 to that got greedy (yeah didn't listen to people here too who said cash out, cash out) and wanted it to hit $20K the arse fell out of it and cashed out with about $1,500 six months or so latter.

Now it's just a story of a what could have been, and more a story you tell people, and they are like oh man you dick head.

Oh well it was fun, and another vintage board i bought off a guy i was actually close at one stage to swapping the Energy board for, before i knew how much it could be worth.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 2 Apr 2020 at 10:18pm

Soulsurf have pics of early 1980s one.. which they sold in 2018

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 2 Apr 2020 at 10:21pm

A 1st Generation 3 fin

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 2 Apr 2020 at 11:57pm

"There is no more collectible board from the innovation period of surfboard design than an early 80's Energy thruster.
They were a popular board at the time and many were made and they are not too hard to find.
But some are more collectible than others. So, firstly, what your looking for is the first incarnation of the Energy logo. The block type not the script as on the boards above.
The '3 fin thruster' circular decal designed by Peter Stanton is a must. Better still is a hand drawn version, of which I only know of 2 in existence.
A simple color fade deck spray is more collectible than an all over decorative spray because there is a higher chance it was sprayed by Simon Anderson's brother, which to me, makes it more authentic.
You need the Hugh Mc Leod designed burning sun triangle logo.
If you find one with 3 of these decals it means it was a team board.
Although Scott Beggs and Frank Latta were fine shapers you really want one 'designed and shaped' by the big man Simon anderson.
This is harder to find from this period as Simon was travelling and competing and his output of boards from the first generation of the Energy thruster was quite restricted."

http://www.boardcollector.com/2016/01/energy-thrusters.html

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Friday, 3 Apr 2020 at 9:41am

Looks like yours ticks all the boxes bar "designed and shaped by..."
Looks like yours says "concept and design by..."?
So its a team board, but not shaped by Simon?

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Friday, 3 Apr 2020 at 10:02am

the surf shop at bermagui uses one of those energy boards as his sign out the front of the shop. has a few bolts through it.
he made kneeboards in that period, as well. they were probably one of the first kneeboards to break away from the slab model.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 3 Apr 2020 at 12:07pm

Don't think it's a team board Pops, sounds like it needs three of those Energy triangle decals arranged in a triangle.

I'm still trying to figure out what this says -
maybe 4286 and is that an L or an A.

Pops's picture
Pops's picture
Pops Friday, 3 Apr 2020 at 12:19pm

Yep, I read that wrong.
Hard to see that last letter/digit... Could be an "N"? or is that last line just a crack?
I'm amazed at what good nick its in too.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 3 Apr 2020 at 12:46pm

If the initials of the possible shapers are SA, FL and SB, I don't know what that letter could be.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Friday, 3 Apr 2020 at 12:57pm

From a distance looks like N but Could be FL that’s kind of blended if you zoom in close.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 3 Apr 2020 at 12:57pm

"Absolute classic 1st generation Energy thruster. Simon Anderson Model shaped by Frank Latta as shown in the serial 2833 F (which stands for Frank) Single flyer rounded square tail. *The back fin comes just beyond the tail which suggests it was one of the first thrusters sold as Simon changed the design soon after cutting his foot on the trailing back fin. "3 fin thruster" decal designed by Peter Stanton and the Hugh Mcleod designed burning sun Energy logo (*info courtesy of Damion from Board Collector) make this board as collectable as they can be."

https://www.retrosurfco.com.au/energy-thruster-1st-gen

And how funky is the font in the logo, used by T-Rex in '73, no less.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 3 Apr 2020 at 3:21pm

When I think of Energy I think of...

silentp's picture
silentp's picture
silentp Friday, 3 Apr 2020 at 3:54pm

Met Frank Latta at the San Juan surfshop in Byron in 81, nice fella, ended up buying his Simon shaped thruster, "Simon for Frank Latta " written on the stringer.
Can still remember that first bottom turn out at the wreck, ended up moving it on about a year later...

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 3 Apr 2020 at 4:41pm

Is Simon riding a borrowed board....the one he shaped for Steve Robbertson ?

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Friday, 3 Apr 2020 at 6:04pm

Yes, Udo! A 6'6!

https://www.tracksmag.com.au/video/simon-anderson-on-bells-81-524390

And I reckon Simon may not have been the only competitor at Bells in 1981 riding one of his thrusters.

Warren Powell!

What was he on?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 3 Apr 2020 at 6:28pm

Terry Richo charged a 20 ft wave that weekend ..dont know what size board was he riding similiar to others i guess ?
Edit: still pic shows him on a huge wave but i dont think he made the drop..