Travel to Ireland

wbat's picture
wbat started the topic in Wednesday, 22 May 2019 at 7:44am

Heading over to Ireland in September for a month or so and have a few questions.

1 cheapest and best place to fly into to put you in the surf zone, any suggestions?

2 Car hire, any suggestions and will I need one? I am guessing yes.

3 Accommodation, Any suggestions? I'm happy to roam but also happy to set myself up and do day trips etc.

Womble123's picture
Womble123's picture
Womble123 Monday, 27 May 2019 at 8:24pm

mate you can only really fly into Dublin internationally. Yes you need to hire a car... can't provide suggestions other than the obvious hertz etc. You will need to drive west and/or south to hit the right coast. It's cold water, even in summer, but rarely crowded except in a few key spots. B&B is often the way to go for accommodation or youth hostels in a few spots.

clif's picture
clif's picture
clif Wednesday, 29 May 2019 at 4:31am

packed in sept. every1 goes. better to wait if can.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 29 May 2019 at 5:49am

Fly into Dublin and drive. Lahinch is a great base, plenty of great waves that enjoy summer conditions (also picks up occasional long range hurricane swells from the US) and it's a relatively short drive north into Mayo/Sligo/Donegal if you experience a winter front and large swell that favours those coasts. 

AirB&B etc wasn't around last time I visited, I presume that'd be your best bet for extended stays. Book a week somewhere, see how you go and then plan your next spot based on the swell charts.

mugofsunshine's picture
mugofsunshine's picture
mugofsunshine Wednesday, 29 May 2019 at 6:05am

If you're flying in internationally then yes Dublin, but if you're flying in from anywhere else in Europe Easy Jet fly to Knock. Puts you right in the middle of the West coast. Car Hire essential but cheap. There are B and B's everywhere and you'll get a much better taste of Ireland staying at them and the 100% of the money stays there rather than Airbnb skimming. September is a great time to go. Locals will be in 3mm suits post summer but if you're not used to the cold a 4/3 will do. Soooo many spots to find.

Laurie McGinness's picture
Laurie McGinness's picture
Laurie McGinness Wednesday, 29 May 2019 at 10:44am

I was there in October last year for a few days, I didn't surf but it was really easy to get around and very friendly but really busy around the well known tourist areas. B&Bs are definitely the go and the pick up and drop off for the rent a car at Dublin airport was quick and easy. We flew in from Manchester and if you are doing any non-surfing travel in the UK they have a luggage store which is a little expensive but beats the hell out of coping with a surfboard in London!

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Wednesday, 29 May 2019 at 5:45pm

However you choose to do it wbat you’ll love it I reckon. Such a beautiful place & wonderful people. Enjoy!

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Wednesday, 29 May 2019 at 10:16pm

Hands up who's been to Ireland? No? Then scurry away.

And buddy you can fly into Belfast too. And head straight to Donegal. I also flew outta Derry once. Knock's a goer as well. Beware: Ryanair. The cheapest and the nastiest. Gobshites.