Swellnet State of Origin

Solitude's picture
Solitude started the topic in Thursday, 16 May 2019 at 11:24am

Have been interested for a while now in the demographics of Swellnetians. Like many on here I find the comments in the forecast notes to be an entertaining read. What I've noticed though is a distinct lack of commentary from the more southern and western surfers in this land. Are there way less western and southern Australians on swellnet? Or are they less likely to comment?
From my observations the QLD/NNSW region appears to be the busiest with Victoria and the Sydney/Hunter/Illawarra next.
Its interesting that a 3 foot swell in QLD will result in 30+ comments, yet epic 6 foot conditions in the west don't even rate a mention.
Maybe its population of surfers? Maybe its region cultural differences? I'd be interested to hear other's thoughts?

Solitude's picture
Solitude's picture
Solitude Friday, 17 May 2019 at 7:20am

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 17 May 2019 at 8:02am

Having lived in QLD, NSW, TAS, VIC (INDO)

Obviously a lot more surfers on the east coast might be it?

Dont know if this a factor, probably not, but i know in the southern states we get good ground swells all year round and regular offshores, even in summer a flat spell is only a few days max and then it's highly likely it will 3ft and offshore on the 4th day, even if the waves are fat and rarely barrel (speaking for Vicco here)

While in QLD you can get weeks to months that feel like groundhog day tiny or flat everywhere but the swell magnets and sometimes not a proper offshore waves for weeks, then bang it's offshore solid 3ft a perfect point waves, IMHO waves better than we ever get, barrels and just that real easy to surf straight bottom shape.

I remember just seeing the sight of an offshore wave after weeks of SE winds in QLD made you froth.

Solitude's picture
Solitude's picture
Solitude Friday, 17 May 2019 at 8:11am

Its funny I reckon you want what you don't have. For me growing up the aforementioned 3 foot clean beach / points of NNSW / QLD, I absolutely love southern style reef waves. Even if the shape and quality isn't that of what we get up this way. Never lived south or west for long so would be interesting to feel the difference over a longer period of time for perspective.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Friday, 17 May 2019 at 8:36am

swell patterns and directions are much more stable, predictable and thus less noteworthy on windward coastlines.

Whereas on the East coast you've got swell directions from much more varied, unpredictable and thus comment worthy sources.

Cold fronts, Tasman lows, ECL's, coastal troughs, easterly dips, Tradewind fetches near and far, tropical cyclones near and far, weird fetches from stalled polar lows under New Zealand etc etc .

Solitude's picture
Solitude's picture
Solitude Friday, 17 May 2019 at 8:47am

I like the theory

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 17 May 2019 at 12:54pm

Yeah the East Coast is much more dynamic. I've lived on both sides of the fence, and the East Coast for consistently fun surf with little admin regarding cold, wind etc and access to the coast is quite unique. When the surf pumps in the southern states it's great but in between, grovelling onshore long period groundswell is nowhere near as fun as the onshore peaky beachies on the East Coast.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Friday, 17 May 2019 at 4:34pm

Maybe the West and far South coast Swellnet readers have replied, it's just the replies haven't got to the website yet ;)

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 17 May 2019 at 5:21pm

East coast is mull , West and South are Heroin.

Smokers make a big deal of pot. Movies , songs ,merchandise, paraphernalia.

Junkies just get on with it.

The high speaks for itself.

Solitude's picture
Solitude's picture
Solitude Sunday, 19 May 2019 at 9:19am

........point in case really, what appears to be primarily current east coast/ vic surfers only responders.