Has anyone got experience with the Air Asia free surfboard policy?

Unpredictable's picture
Unpredictable started the topic in Tuesday, 7 May 2019 at 4:33pm

Yew,
Basically, am I gonna be able to get away with two boards. Fish and step up, they nestle together and not bulky, well under 15 kg limit. Are they gonna want to look though?
Cheers,

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 10 May 2019 at 1:04pm
Unpredictable wrote:

Yew,
Basically, am I gonna be able to get away with two boards. Fish and step up, they nestle together and not bulky, well under 15 kg limit. Are they gonna want to look though?
Cheers,

Supafreak's picture
Supafreak's picture
Supafreak Friday, 10 May 2019 at 1:08pm

I have used Air Asia for about 10 years flying international and domestic and never had a issue with boards , they won’t look inside unless looking for drugs and the only issue l have had is domestic flights are built for indo’s and malay’s and they are small people so the seats and legroom is tiny lol

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 10 May 2019 at 1:43pm

Good to hear. First time flying with them to Indo this year.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 10 May 2019 at 2:58pm

Ive flow with them about a dozen times, you pay for boards (sporting equipment) but never any issues. (all my boards under 6,3)

Flown with pretty much all the airlines to Indo a few times, Air Asia are towards the bottom in regards to what you get and comfort and sting you extra for anything and everything, but their flights to KL from OZ are often the cheapest going round.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 10 May 2019 at 3:23pm

Air Asia are very good value for money. Two thumbs up. Perth - Bali is too easy.

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Friday, 10 May 2019 at 3:51pm

Actually, forgot I flew with them in their early days. Stung me for boards (6'4 to 7'4).

Fark, they better be better re: the free board thing.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 10 May 2019 at 4:21pm

1 board free in its own board bag up to 15 kgs --- but i reckon crangle sneaks 2 in his bag...?
Other boards you will pay for ..buy your kgs online
the free board thingy is a International return flight ...a fly thru flight is part of it
Blowin whats Perth- Bali return cost including your boards ?

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Friday, 10 May 2019 at 5:25pm

Here's the current WSL /Air Asia Oz promo
https://newsroom.airasia.com/news/airasia-takes-partnership-with-world-s...
Here's last years WSL /Air Asia Oz promo
http://www.travelmonitor.com.au/category/news/todays-news/airasias-offic...

Oz Compact Surfboard transit guide > (Bussies are normally flexible).
Oz Wide Transit Standard sizing is 2m-(6ft 5")max
Bodyboards travel onboard free by weight & size.
('Oversize boards' timetable separate by road haul -($50+)Wrapped

Regional Coaches -24hr Booking -Wrapped ($15 extra)
Airlink $huttles Off peak rule -Board Cover OK.(No extra)
All Oz Trains - Off Peak Only- No Wrap (No extra)
Trams (Stands) all hrs + (Buses-handheld/ off peak) Qld/Nsw/WA only-No Wrap (No extra)

Note: [Tas/Vic / SA] Prohibit Surfboards on Trams/Buses. (see > Oz Coach / Shuttle /Train)
Ferries usually accommodate most surfboards.(No Charge)... Bon Voyage!

Unpredictable's picture
Unpredictable's picture
Unpredictable Saturday, 18 May 2019 at 3:08pm

To answer my own question, as others have above. They didn't ask any questions about how many boards were in the bag, didn't seem to have any interest and just weighed and tagged it.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 1 Nov 2019 at 12:55pm

Citilink - New Perth to Bali daily flight Nov 8th

Balance's picture
Balance's picture
Balance Monday, 23 Dec 2019 at 6:58pm

I have flown with AirAsia maybe a dozen times in the last few years...but had my first drama with free boards thing this year

I did a trip to the Maldives ..but went there via a few weeks in Kenya

So I bought a return flight to KL ..but one way tickets from KL to Nairobi...then Nairobi to male...then male to KL

On my flight from male to KL they made me pay for my board. I argued at check-in for quite a while but the fine print does say something along the lines of the free board travel is only on direct flights to and from Australia.

I thought due to my loyalty to them and pretty extensive travel history over recent years, they could be convinced to waive the fee...but not a chance...they really wanted that fifty bucks!