Northern Territory.

Andybox's picture
Andybox started the topic in Wednesday, 27 Feb 2019 at 1:19pm

So i've found myself taking up a contract in Arnhem land for a length of time. Easy access to Darwin and beyond, so hopefully when time permits i'll take advantage of that. In the mean time, I have a question or 2.
Swellnet gives a detailed surf report for a number of NT locations. What's the reasoning behind this? Is it primarily for local fishermen or is it actually aimed at people who want to surf these locations?
Have any of you nutcases ever been to/surfed the Wessel Islands? I've had first hand comments from a well known Indo Charter operator who surfed them on his solo sailing trip to Indo back in the 80s, pulled out his charts and showed me the areas he scored good waves. This was also back in the 80s, the memory is a bit rusty now. The location im in is Elcho Island, google searches for waves in the Wessels have come up blank. I'm aware of the nasties in the water, having surfed novelty waves in Darwin back in the day.
Thanks, Andy.

Andybox's picture
Andybox's picture
Andybox Saturday, 2 Mar 2019 at 11:49am

Any comments, no matter how small a snippet of info would be greatly appreciated.

spidermonkey's picture
spidermonkey's picture
spidermonkey Saturday, 2 Mar 2019 at 12:38pm

I've spent some time cruising around the Wessels. One of my favorite places in Aus. Remote, wild, and absolutely full of sea life, heaps of crocs! Get out to those outer islands if you get a chance. The Aboriginal art has to be seen to be believed. Surf, dont know SE trades are relentless during winter and set up a hefty wind swell thru the gulf, bound to be a few spots if you have boat access

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 2 Mar 2019 at 1:14pm

What a great place to spend some time!

Wonder what the nightlife at Galiwinku is like?