Vanuatu?

dandob's picture
dandob started the topic in Friday, 11 Jan 2019 at 5:00pm

Anyone been there who can offer any advice or tips? Heading there on a family vacation but going to take a board anyway. From what I've been able to suss it only gets fun size and the trade winds are crosshore to the best breaks.

dandob's picture
dandob's picture
dandob Wednesday, 23 Jan 2019 at 9:17pm

For future reference. No waves. Lovely place and people. No waves.

GODS QUAD's picture
GODS QUAD's picture
GODS QUAD Wednesday, 23 Jan 2019 at 9:48pm

Was thinking of heading there later this year.... Was there nothing at all? No reef setup?

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Wednesday, 23 Jan 2019 at 11:06pm

I went about ten or more years ago stayed on Efate took the board and surfed the wave in front of the Beakers Resort was a bit of a slab on the days I had it, was worth taking the board but wouldn't get to many expectations.

Also had one of the top 5 ever coffees at Breakers one morning made by one of the Pango village girls, locals were so friendly.

greyhound's picture
greyhound's picture
greyhound Thursday, 24 Jan 2019 at 7:24am

Also stayed at breakers resort. Surfed out front. Pretty shallow reef setup. Short and SHARP. A few fun beachie type waves down the beach a little. Had dugongs passing underneath which was cool. Further down is a left reef, pango point,could also be fun. So take your board.hate to see a few waves and not have it.
I also took a coupla old boards and gave them to some local kids. They loved it and the families were so appreciative. Only gonna sit gathering dust in the shed otherwise. But as mentioned keep expectations low.

innatube's picture
innatube's picture
innatube Thursday, 24 Jan 2019 at 8:53am

Stayed a breakers a couple of years back for 10 days in April. Never surfed once. There was a 2 ft wave out the front for a few days but a hell sideshore wind never let up and it was always too choppy. A bit like the coral coast in Fiji, the trades are relentless.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 24 Jan 2019 at 9:14am

Search 'George Pittar, Eratap' on Youtube. Can't recall the name of George's old man but he runs Eratap Resort and he's from Manly originally, and George himself rips, placed well in a few Rip Curl Grom Search's etc. Not easy access from Pango/Breakers to Eratap as you've gotta go into Port Vila and around Erakor Lagoon but there may be some protection from the SE trades there. A tactful approach may lead to some info. Suffice to say Vanuatu is in the swell shadow of New Cal so only the biggest south swells get up there.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 24 Jan 2019 at 10:46am

That'd be Tony Pittar.

Garryh's picture
Garryh's picture
Garryh Thursday, 24 Jan 2019 at 8:18pm

The Pitar wave is only available if you stay at Eratap resort....and then only when there's a swell from the east and a wind with a bit of east in it. That particular break is over very very very sharp and shallow coral and one would want a high tide and no falling off (and suggest at least a small wetsuit to provide a little protection).

There's a surf guide who you can find on the internet that works in the area....he'll take you to some waves that mostly are pretty average...shallow and sharp.

As far as I could tell the combination of swell from the east and wind from the west doesn't happen often during "normal pacific season" (ie April to October). If you do find those conditions...it seems like there are some breaks further east....and you'll likely be the only one surfing it.

There are other islands that are not in the "wave shadow" of new Caledonia...with rumours of many waves...no surfers and tiger sharks. But they are a loooong way away.

If you're there and the conditions magically line up don't take any photos

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 25 Jan 2019 at 6:32am

“The Pitar wave is only available if you stay at Eratap resort”

Are you saying that the wave is privately owned ? Exclusive access ?

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Friday, 25 Jan 2019 at 6:44am

Across the channel from the resort,not sure about the left in front of the resort....looked into it a few years ago...expensive!

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Friday, 25 Jan 2019 at 11:07am

I surfed the right at Eratap Island across the channel from the resort a few years ago, on my own for several days and never saw anyone else around. Wasn't staying at the resort either. Never had any issues.

HaddoCurl's picture
HaddoCurl's picture
HaddoCurl Friday, 25 Jan 2019 at 2:44pm

I went there some 10 years ago for a family holiday. Relentless trade kicked up 2' win swell and surfed a few times out front. Didn't surf the right, however did snorkel it and would probably work if the conditions came together. When I went the kids loved the village tour, beach crab hunting and fireworks. My advice is take 1 summer fish type board, keep your expectations very low and enjoy the family holiday.