Board recommendations - upgrading from foamy

Drac1's picture
Drac1 started the topic in Sunday, 6 Jan 2019 at 2:39pm

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy my 11 year old daughter a surf board. She's done the foamy board and now looking to make the next step however I have no idea what to get for her. She is 140cm and 32kg so yeah quite the light-weight! She is just a novice as well.
I am most likely looking to buy something 2nd hand from gumtree or eBay etc so looking for advice on a suitable size board or what may work for her.

Thanks for any assistance !

Mark.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 7 Jan 2019 at 9:23am

I'm approaching a similar situation, I want to get my daughter off the foamy and on to fiberglass, but not sure what'd be best.

I've got an old 5'10 Shane single fin that needs to be patched up; it's got a lot of volume and a wide nose, and I reckon it'll do the job nicely. There's certainly no need for a thruster right now, or anything high performance. 

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 7 Jan 2019 at 9:36am

In gentle waves my eldest uses a 5'3" Firewire Baked Potato - very wide, very thick, but very short. I've drawn a line where the stringer would be so he knows where his feet should land. I've also fitted it with old first gen FCS, the cheap nylon ones, and sanded all the edges back to blunt.

I think it's too short, it'd be easier for him on something longer (for wave catching and stability) and thinner (so he can hold it), but at the moment he gets a kick out of the name. He'll learn soon enough.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 7 Jan 2019 at 10:29am

Don't think it really makes much difference Drac1 and I'm not even sure the rush to get off a foamy is justified.
the new stiff foamies are so high performance they could keep going on them for ages.

having said that: I got my daughter onto an old 70's style single fin shape that I had lying around with heaps of area forwards and she learnt on that.
she rides anything now.

my 8 year old son is on a 5'4" Webster Rascal which has that same wide nose shape, really stable and great, but this one is more shaped for a kid and heaps thinner.
thus, it's much easier for him to turn and get around the lineup on.

have a look around second hand, my mate had this one in his garage from when his son grew out of it.

I also had my daughter on an 80's style thruster which is quite wide, thick and stable. That worked really well too.

spuddyjack's picture
spuddyjack's picture
spuddyjack Monday, 7 Jan 2019 at 2:00pm

Hey Drac 1,
Take Ben's sound advice: ample volume, plenty of width and definitely only a round nose for safety.

Drac1's picture
Drac1's picture
Drac1 Monday, 7 Jan 2019 at 7:56pm

Thanks for all of the feedback. As it turns out I was running out of time with her birthday coming up and us going away next week where we'll mostly be spending time at the beach. I ended up buying this for herhttps://www.thesurfboardwarehouse.com.au/flying-fish-funboard/

freeride76 you're probably right about no rush getting off the foamy. It was kind of because her birthday coming up and she's been asking for one - that kind of a situation. Also her foamy is quite narrow and I think unstable which would not be helping matters.

Thanks again all for your input!

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Monday, 7 Jan 2019 at 8:11pm

that looks like it will work fine.

has she ridden it yet?