Suggestions & Advice for next surf trip?

Mata's picture
Mata started the topic in Monday, 10 Dec 2018 at 10:15am

Hey all,

I’m looking at planning an overseas surf trip - have actually never travelled overseas for surf before, but it’s something I’ve always wanted to do!

Basics:-

- Looking at 2-4 week trip sometime January / February / March
- Destination is open - Am considering Pacific (Fiji, Tahiti etc), but enjoy a bit of adventure. Have done non-surf world travel
- I’m an above average surfer (surfed all my life) but ideally I’m looking for fun hollow waves in the 3-6ft range, but not Code Red Chopes. Natural foot, so prefer right handers
- Got good boards but am open to suggestions (and the best travel board bags etc)
- Advice on insurance & medical?
- Advice on dealing with Airlines?

Would appreciate readers thoughts

Cheers

GODS QUAD's picture
GODS QUAD's picture
GODS QUAD Tuesday, 8 Jan 2019 at 1:42pm

Went to Fiji in March last year for a surf trip for 10 days and loved it. Incredible waves, the crowds were pretty quiet as it was low season, beautiful islands and friendly locals. If you want a bit of adventure though, you'd probably get bored there. It's VERY laid back (not to say that's a bad thing) but apart from surfing, diving and fishing, not a lot more to do there. 10 days was more than enough.

If you have 2-4 weeks and want more of an adventure go to south western Sri Lanka man. Tons of super fun beachies and reef setups to explore along that stretch, warm water and epic food. Then you can go up through the mountains and jungles, see the temples, ride the train through tea fields back to Colombo. Amazing country and tons to see and do.

Otherwise look into the Indonesian islands. Always reliable for waves, but might be the wet season around that time.

ojackojacko's picture
ojackojacko's picture
ojackojacko Tuesday, 8 Jan 2019 at 2:39pm

Insurance - you need to actually read the fine print. Most companies won't cover medivac, even though they cover surfing. Chubb and World Nomads are two that are worth looking at, but read the fine print. Ring the company and ask specifically about getting flown out etc. You pretty much only need insurance for the worst case scenario (i.e. you need to be flown out to a hospital) so make sure that's what you're covered for. NZ always worth considering for a surf trup - all kinds of set ups and heaps of adventure (or relative luxury) to be had

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Tuesday, 8 Jan 2019 at 7:10pm

I've always wanted to go to Morocco for surf and that's a pretty good time to do it. Right hand points, interesting culture, crowded in known spots but I've had plenty of conversations with people that have said it's easy to find spots without many people around.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 8 Jan 2019 at 7:39pm

Caroline islands....I think there is a mail boat you can get through Micronesia.
That would be an incredible adventure with the very real chance of discovering or surfing perfect waves alone.

Micronesian culture is amazing and the WW2 history and wreck diving is insane.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 8 Jan 2019 at 8:41pm

Island hop through Hawaii?

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Wednesday, 9 Jan 2019 at 11:35am

Have always wanted to do that trip. Dave Sparkes wrote an article a decade ago about hopping through the islands and it's never been far from my thoughts since.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 9 Jan 2019 at 11:44am

Flown to Pohnpei twice, one from Guam via Chuuk and other time via PNG, both times with a window seat and the potential is astonishing. Need a boat but.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 9 Jan 2019 at 12:07pm

I’ve got a boat.

Let’s go.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 9 Jan 2019 at 12:18pm

What's the furthest you've taken it offshore?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 9 Jan 2019 at 12:28pm

Maybe 10kms ?

If I had a deckie with half a ball I’d go a lot further. Need to make up for my own personal shortfall.

You keen ?

Malcom Douglas drove to Timor from the NT in a tinny. The clever part is ....the Seawok is even smaller than his boat so we’ll need way less fuel. We’re laughing.

Think Bass and Flinders , only more barrels and less latent homosexuality.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 9 Jan 2019 at 12:28pm

What say we give it a trial run first?

A three hour tour sounds good.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 9 Jan 2019 at 12:37pm

A three hour trial run ?

No dramas. With the way the engines been playing up , a planned twenty minute run up the river should get us a few hours boat time.

You want me to bring the Ginger or the Mary Ann wig ? You’ll be the one wearing it.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 9 Jan 2019 at 12:35pm

Ian Fairweather sailed a mattress raft from Darwin to Rote, what could go wrong?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 9 Jan 2019 at 12:39pm

Ian Fairweather pissed it in.

Can’t see any difference between his outing and that of Stuart Oceanbornetempest and Blowin Devastatingcyclone

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 9 Jan 2019 at 1:20pm

Just quietly, I've booked an upcoming trip to a place facing into that body of water so I might skip your offer. I'm sure there are plenty of other suckers brave crewman that will be keen.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 9 Jan 2019 at 3:54pm

Sounds like a perfect trip for blowin and the big muscly fella from Port Lincoln.
Imagine all the laffs!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 9 Jan 2019 at 4:19pm

Anchor.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 9 Jan 2019 at 4:22pm

The type that comes with a 'W' at the front.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 9 Jan 2019 at 4:28pm

Correct.

Not limited to just reef or sand. Also useful in holding over bottom consisting of wet cement, broken glass and faeces.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 9 Jan 2019 at 9:39pm

Blowin & Stu - to inspire you for your boat trip, here is one of the most incredible small boat crossings in recorded history:

https://www.historyrevealed.com/eras/18th-century/after-the-mutiny-capta...

That is seamanship. What a navigator.