Surfing Sri Lanka in January?

dylza's picture
dylza started the topic in Saturday, 10 Nov 2018 at 3:10pm

Been there that time of year? How'd you go? If you have any spots + accomodation too you really like or want to recommend for myself who surfs and partner who is happy to hang for a week then let me know!

Then venturing up to the Tea Lands for second week so feel free to pass on any info about that too.

cgrover's picture
cgrover's picture
cgrover Wednesday, 14 Nov 2018 at 11:36am

I spent 10 days in Weligama - pretty much as far south as you can get in February last year. There is heaps of accommodation, surf camps with yoga and without, lots of cheap dorm accommodation and some really nice homestay and more expensive hotel type rooms. From there you can reach breaks along the coast to the east or you could go to Hikkaduwa if you like the party scene, crowded waves and lots of surfers with few ideas and no surfing edict . I was lucky and got waves from 2-4 ft (maybe occasionally a bit bigger) the whole time I was in Weligama but it is fickle - just depends on luck really. It is a fantastic place, easy to travel and if you do your homework you can get some really fun waves and the beaches are simply amazing. Go before they fuck it up because it reminds me of Bali pre hotel chain ruination .