Secret Sumatra Land Camp

andy-b_2's picture
andy-b_2 started the topic in Sunday, 2 Sep 2018 at 12:31pm

Gday All,
Been coaxed (easy sell) into a trip with mates to land based camp SecretSumatra in South Sumatra.
Just curious on people’s thoughts and or experiences at this camp?
Also any info/advice on travel/flights to and from ie direct or connection via Bali

Thinking will definitely take 2 sticks, a 5/11 standard shorty, a 6/2 step up for bit gruntier reefs and bigger days possibly a third around 6/0 as a back up.

Cheers

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 3 Sep 2018 at 6:11am

What time of year are you travelling?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 3 Sep 2018 at 8:27am

Never stayed there but know a little about the place, owned by Aussie body boarders and the camp itself looks pretty good and seems well run.

The wave out front is perfect and its fairly consistent considering its position, but there is a catch it's probably the shortest wave you will ever see, so gets crowded very easy and there is also at least two maybe three camps only a few hundred metres away, Amy's and another place, and then only about a Kilometre away a few other losmens.

Regarding flights, id just use Traveloka it will give you the flights available and prices, they are pretty good to deal with, even got refunds from them.

marto1986's picture
marto1986's picture
marto1986 Monday, 3 Sep 2018 at 9:04am

Hey Andy,

We were in Krui a few years ago, great spot! We stayed up the point at Ujong Boccur (Spelling?) Plenty of surf around. Secret Sumatra it self looked very good and the Aussies we spoke to said it was good. The wave out the front "The Peak" is a tiny backdoor wave, a lot of fun, breaks a lot, shallow reef and mainly body boarders spot, but still can give it a run.
Board selection seems good and you will need a range as there is a bunch of set ups
and plenty around all withing 15 -45 mins or so of the camp. I would highly recommend the area.
Crowds were mixed, some days if you timed it right you got it to your crew only at any given spot, other days at the point there could have been 30 guys spread out. The good thing about Secret Sumatra is the pool looks over the peak so you can always time it, there is other waves within walking distance if it is a little too crowded. If the swell is up its better because all spots work and spread the load which were the best days. Over a 12 day trip we got 2 good swells, but still surfed on average twice every day.

We flew Perth/Bali/ Jakarta and spent over night there. Then next morning Jakarta to Banda lampung (Spelling) Mix of air Asia/Garuda. We organised our flights to Jakarta and then the camp organised the rest. Then the 6-7 hour over mountain car ride.

Hope this helps

geek's picture
geek's picture
geek Monday, 3 Sep 2018 at 10:58am

Stayed at SS around 10 years ago after it had just opened. Ex-pro bb Dean Furgus is the owner and was a legend but not sure how much involvement he has now. Apart from those at the camps didn't see anybody else in the water at any spots for 2 weeks straight, those were the days! If you are going peak season you will need a step-up for sure, there are some very solid reefs in the area. Generally not your usual Indo perfection either. There is some good footage of the area in its early days in Hardlyfe 2 if you can find it on youtube or something

cycd's picture
cycd's picture
cycd Tuesday, 4 Sep 2018 at 8:24am

Depending on what waves you want to surf I would always take a big board to that area. It is very open to swell, I have surfed some of the largest waves of my life in that region.... have fun

andy-b_2's picture
andy-b_2's picture
andy-b_2 Tuesday, 4 Sep 2018 at 8:53pm

Thanks For the good info and insight
Going late June 2019 themarlben
Thought there’s pretty good chance of scoring swell then and yet to surf this part of Indo so why not?

Cheers Indodreaming I’ll check out traveloka

Sounds like a pretty good setup from what you described marto
Your recommendation was good to hear.

Still plenty of time between now n then so things can and prob will change boards wise but trying to stray away from lugging 3 boards around.
Done it in the past and logistically can bea $hit fight.

andy-b_2's picture
andy-b_2's picture
andy-b_2 Tuesday, 4 Sep 2018 at 8:54pm

Thanks For the good info and insight
Going late June 2019 themarlben
Thought there’s pretty good chance of scoring swell then and yet to surf this part of Indo so why not?

Cheers Indodreaming I’ll check out traveloka

Sounds like a pretty good setup from what you described marto
Your recommendation was good to hear.

Still plenty of time between now n then so things can and prob will change boards wise, but trying to stray away from lugging 3 boards around.
Done it in the past and logistically can be a $hit fight.

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Wednesday, 5 Sep 2018 at 5:41am

I 2nd that cycd

geoffrey's picture
geoffrey's picture
geoffrey Wednesday, 5 Sep 2018 at 8:54am

to be honest mate you dont really want a proper indo 2-3m swell which is why i would aim for shoulder season (think you said you were going in late 2019 which would be good). went there a few years ago and we got 3 macking 3m+ swells overlapping within 12 days and it was just too big by about twice for everywhere, with only option being the 2 or 3 reefs right in town. Needless to say they were extermely packed since it was too big for everywhere else. Alot of the setups aren't really reef passes either and dont have the safety of a channel, a few excluded, which make it very hairy when its big.

marto1986's picture
marto1986's picture
marto1986 Wednesday, 5 Sep 2018 at 12:09pm

If you're on the Instagram, secret Sumatra have a pretty active page. And follow nana_surfphotography and you can get a decent understanding of what goes down.