Anyone been to Gland lately?

bigredcouch's picture
bigredcouch started the topic in Saturday, 28 Jul 2018 at 8:49am

Thinking about heading to G-Land in August or September... Just wondering if anyone has been there recently? What's the most cost effective way to do a 10-20 day stint there? Can you still book in for a 3 night package and then negotiate a roughly 400,000rp per night for the rest of your stay? Any advice much appreciated.

bigredcouch's picture
bigredcouch's picture
bigredcouch Saturday, 28 Jul 2018 at 1:09pm

Thinking about heading to G-Land in August or September... Just wondering if anyone has been there recently? What's the most cost effective way to do a 10-20 day stint there? Can you still book in for a 3 night package and then negotiate a roughly 400,000rp per night for the rest of your stay? Any advice much appreciated.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 28 Jul 2018 at 3:00pm

Idoubt you will get $40 a night ...probably $150
Bobbys 9 day standard package is about $1150 US
$1550 AUD..

mozzie's picture
mozzie's picture
mozzie Saturday, 28 Jul 2018 at 5:57pm

Bobby's sucked the big ones last year! Food was terrible, facilities were non existent, and we didn't get the fast boat transfer we'd paid for. Apparently the fast boats don't travel with less than 7 guests and Bobby's will claim storms and poor weather patterns are too dangerous to travel in which was absolute bullshit. The overnight trip is 12-13 hours. Even some G- land veterans staying at the same time we did claimed the standards have slipped significantly at Bobby's over the last few seasons. I've heard Joyo's camp is the far superior camp these days...

nicko74's picture
nicko74's picture
nicko74 Saturday, 28 Jul 2018 at 7:00pm

I’ve stayed at joyos twice and at Raymond’s twice. Joyo’s does the pay for 3 nights and stay for six , Raymond’s used to do the same deal but not anymore, and they are roughly the same price per night with Raymond’s being at bit more basic but that shouldn’t bother you because Raymond’s has the best location right up the point and right at the front is the viewing tower. It has to be said that Raymond’s is now run entirely by a Javanese group I think, and is no longer called Raymond’s but has at least up to last year retained some of their key staff members who by all accounts are excellent.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 28 Jul 2018 at 7:30pm

Raymonds is now G land Jacks

Pay 3 nights stay 6 at Joyos ??

nicko74's picture
nicko74's picture
nicko74 Saturday, 28 Jul 2018 at 9:51pm

It’s an early bird deal, I’ve organised it with a Balinese fella who goes by the name Lorenzo by memory? He’s usually hanging around at the top of the stairs at Ullus in amongst the odd watch/t shirt/sunglasses peddlers. He’s a good enough fella. The biggest cost is the fuel for the boat or so I’m told, and let’s face it who only goes for 3 nights , so it could be a case of clever marketing. Any way last year cost me a little over $1100 for six nights in the basic a/c single room with 5 tangs (small ones) per day and a bunch of soft drink tickets as well.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 29 Jul 2018 at 10:17am

The longer you stay the cheaper it gets.
Bobby’s is going down hill for sure but I like staying there because of the guys who work there, that I’ve known for many years now. And it’s always nice seeing them again.
But fuck it’s such a sick wave I don’t think it really matters where you stay.
The thing I don’t like about gland are all the 40-50 yr old Aussie hero’s who think they run the joint and who go there every year and seem to be worse each time you see them. Most of them from the Sydney area

nicko74's picture
nicko74's picture
nicko74 Saturday, 28 Jul 2018 at 10:47pm

That’s for sure, in fact if you’re unsure about G land and where to stay google G land surf and search images, after a few pics of epic speed reef , or money’s you’d just about sleep on the track to Kongs to surf there! G land is one of my favourite places to just surf an relax . My wife is Balinese and she’s strong on karma, she’s taught me and insists that if I have nothing good to say about someone best I keep my thoughts to myself.... so I won’t comment on the Sydney crew :)

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg Sunday, 29 Jul 2018 at 9:35am

I'm with goofy...it doesn't really matter where you stay...you're there for the wave. I've stayed at every place except the newer Bobby's as its always the most expensive. Old Bobby's/Raymond is good and Jungle/Joyo's has always been my preferred. You're better off locking in a longer stay upfront I reckon and then negotiating an extension after you've been there awhile and proved your a decent bloke to have around. Have good manners, treat the staff with respect and friendliness and avoid getting hard on the piss. Much more likely to get a better rate then. The days either side off the fast boat 3 day trippers are the best times now...relatively uncrowded sessions and less..."I'm here to get my money's worth"... frothers in the water and around the camp.

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Sunday, 29 Jul 2018 at 12:26pm

Get a 6 night deal at joyo's stay 3 nights head to rangers camp for two weeks come back for last 3 nights hire a good Mountain bike in Bali for the cycle From rangers to break 2/3hrs haha you will be fit as fuck by the last 3 days that you will be wishing for a 10 ft speedies swell.

ssssshh's picture
ssssshh's picture
ssssshh Sunday, 29 Jul 2018 at 8:45pm

Last time I was there stayed at Joyos it was excellent, having said that it is a long way from $40 per night doubt you will find that anymore. Monstrous this past week!

scottishsponger's picture
scottishsponger Tuesday, 31 Jul 2018 at 10:01pm

I booked for a stay at Bobby’s in September when I was expecting to be travelling alone. My wife now has the time off work. She’s a non-surfer. I know it’s a surf camp and not a 5 star Resort, but is there anything there at all for non-surfers? How much will I regret taking her with me to G land? Will I be divorced by the end of the trip if I do?

fingerniall's picture
fingerniall's picture
fingerniall Wednesday, 1 Aug 2018 at 10:14am

Hi Scottishsponger.
I've had issues like this before and I sympathise with you mate, I really do. Last time it happened was when I booked in for a 2 week stay at a remote and very basic African surf camp. En route to the airport I realised there wouldn't be much for my wife to do so I snuck on the flight while she was shopping at duty free. When I returned after two weeks of incredible surf she was still deciding whether the $40 bottle of Baileys would be cheaper at Dan Murphy's.
While waiting for the long term car park bus we both agreed it was the best holiday we'd had for years.

scottishsponger Wednesday, 1 Aug 2018 at 11:29am

Thanks for the advice fingernail. Reading between the lines, I guess what you’re trying to say is don’t go on a surf trip with your wife. Leave her in the duty free. 2 weeks is a long time shopping, she must’ve run up a massive bill? Out of interest, which surf camp in Africa did you stay at?