6’6 softie for a 6ft adv. beginner?

mattsyd's picture
mattsyd started the topic in Sunday, 1 Jul 2018 at 8:32am

I live near Bondi and try to surf early AM every day,

I can paddle decently, get up, do angled take offs and turn a little (not exactly carving it up) on small-medium sized waves

I ride a 8ft softie right now but don’t feel like I’m getting the few of the wave enough or something. The first thing I want to do when I get up is move and turn but it feels slow and big.

Been looking around for something a bit shorter, like a 7. Then saw this which I like really the look of
https://sunsetsurfnewquay.co.uk/products/softech-tom-carrol-signature-51...

It’s 6’6

Doesn’t say volume but looks reasonably wide.

I don’t want to be a long boarder. So I figure I have to step down at some point.
Probably a little short but I figure if I’m surfing everyday ... could be alright?

What do you think?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 1 Jul 2018 at 9:07am

If you're up and riding and doing a few turns then it may be time to get off the softboard.

mattsyd's picture
mattsyd's picture
mattsyd Monday, 13 Aug 2018 at 5:15pm

Thanks. Right ok...

Figured I hadn’t tapped out potential of the softies yet. And the safety aspect (given it's crowded Bondi and all..)

mattsyd's picture
mattsyd's picture
mattsyd Monday, 13 Aug 2018 at 5:18pm

I doubt anyone cares but I ended up going to a softlite 7ft pop stick. Been good so far.

I do find myself getting on the face of a wave and wanting to turn sharp and feeling like I can't but I put that down to my beginner lack-of-skills status. Guess I need to work and properly putting it on rail and learning how to manoeuvre

Later I'd like to move to a 6'6, like a Lost puddle jumper, or some such other all round small-wave board.

mattsyd's picture
mattsyd's picture
mattsyd Tuesday, 21 Aug 2018 at 7:56pm

It was interesting visiting a couple of surf shops this last weekend

I wasn’t really looking to buy a board but just browsing and taking with the staff

One suggested a 6’6, 44l big shortboard by their shop brand - said if I want o go that way eventually I should just make the jump now.. that it’ll be hard adjusting for a while but it would be the best

Another place had a 7’1 board by Sam Egan and suggested that. Sort of like a mal except the nose was more narrow and performance looking -

I left wanting a fibreglass board

ojackojacko's picture
ojackojacko's picture
ojackojacko Tuesday, 21 Aug 2018 at 10:38pm

look for boards with a lot of foam to get you into waves early. you want to get your wave count up. plenty of info online. once you get an idea what models are of interest, look on gumtree and ebay for 2nd hand boards. after a few years and a few boards you’ll be in a better position to buy a new board from a shaper if you’re so inclined

mattsyd's picture
mattsyd's picture
mattsyd Wednesday, 22 Aug 2018 at 10:54am

Thanks. Yeah I got some rough guidelines but from all the reading I’ve done, it sounds quite individual in terms of what exact volume, foil, length works for different people and different breaks. So like you say.. trial and error, which makes going through a few cheaper or second hand boards a smart move until I have a better handle on it.

• My current foamie is 54L at 7’ and feels sluggish when I get on the face of a wave. Got no problem catching waves and paddling hard so I could push myself a bit more I think.

• I was looking at Gumtree, then saw these are on sale for 3 hundy.
https://www.sxsurf.com.au/product/fish/
6’6 or a 6’8 has around 45L. Maybe I can try one out.

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Wednesday, 22 Aug 2018 at 11:22am

What do you weigh mate

mattsyd's picture
mattsyd's picture
mattsyd Wednesday, 22 Aug 2018 at 12:13pm

I'm ~78kg, 6' tall.

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Wednesday, 22 Aug 2018 at 12:39pm

IMHO you would want at least 45l more would better. Your foamy may just feel sluggish due to the plan shape rails, fins etc. See if you can demo a few boards and that way you can get a feel for the size and volume you need. Just remember as a beginner you want to be catching lots of waves and getting into the wave early, volume is your friend

mattsyd's picture
mattsyd's picture
mattsyd Wednesday, 22 Aug 2018 at 2:21pm

Yeah trying them is a the tricky part. Most of the hire places just have shitty foam boards or those big ass NSP/BIC mals. All my mates have foam boards too

Thanks for the advice though. It helps. I'm probably going to push it and try for that 45L volume but I hear what you're saying . Hopefully I can try some different shapes out. Because right now I'm seeing boards of different sizes and shapes with similar volume, for instance:

A superfish 6'9 with ~45L

The fat/round shortboardy 6'6 that the Aloha Manly store suggested with ~45L

The 7'1 slimmer semi-mal/performance funboard hand shaped which is probably similar volume or maybe a bit bigger volume.

I'm sure they'll all ride pretty different.

ojackojacko's picture
ojackojacko's picture
ojackojacko Wednesday, 22 Aug 2018 at 3:18pm

have a look at the al merrick biscuit, webber fatburner - most of the big shapers have boards something along these lines designed with more foam to paddle in but shortboard/fish rather than mini-mal. you’re right - trial and error but err on the side of more volume rather than less. don’t be worried about fibreglass boards - just don’t ditch the board when u duckdive

mattsyd's picture
mattsyd's picture
mattsyd Monday, 27 Aug 2018 at 2:31pm

I Ended up getting one of these fairly cheap - it’s a fish shape

6'6 X 21 5/8" X 2 7/8" 46.5L

Pic https://ibb.co/mzG2A9

I’ve taken it out a couple of times now. Definitely quite a difference but I think it’s going to be ok. I was out yesterday morning in really small surf and managed to get on waves - just took an extra paddle or two compared to the 54L Foamie

I try to nearly every day if I can, whatever the conditions as long as it’s not dangerous. I just want to improve as fast as possible.. but enjoying the journey