Taiwan surf

poodlechewsit's picture
poodlechewsit started the topic in Tuesday, 15 May 2018 at 7:50am

Just wondering if anyone had any information in regards to surfing in Taiwan mid July ,dont want any secrets just heads up on transport ,what sort of accommodation and swell expectations ,cheers

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 15 Jun 2021 at 2:22pm

China has no history of invading other countries…..

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 15 Jun 2021 at 2:22pm

Maybe, but as long as there's an inkling of oppression, people will wonder about life without it.

And then set about making it happen.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 15 Jun 2021 at 5:14pm

"technology.

the power of the state now, via technology, is unsurpassed."

exactly, the supression in the past was just too labour intensive, and humans are too unreliable

computers and developing AI will / have already overcome that, and then some...

clif's picture
clif's picture
clif Tuesday, 15 Jun 2021 at 7:03pm

Why are Australians so paranoid about China? lol. Is the Australian propaganda that good? Most Chinese could not tell you where Australia is and most of those who know about it love it. There ain't going to be any uprising in China soon. Many people are happy and/or just trying to get by like you and I each day. That does not mean there isn't oppression, there is. Mind you, that is the case everywhere, including Australia. And people worry about the surveillance in China. Yes, it is bad. However there is a tendency to say "look over there" yet in our backyards stuff like this is going on: "UK government’s little-known proposed reforms to Britain’s Official Secrets Acts pose far-reaching threats to the media and the public’s right to know. They could land journalists and others in jail for 14 years for publishing information the government claims damages national security." So, China is not the exception here. Also, a wholesale rising up to overthrow the CCP ? Nah. Aussies going to rise up given the oppression in their own backyard?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 15 Jun 2021 at 7:28pm

not your finest work in moral equivocation Clif.

The CCP is completely above the law and beyond any accountability whatsoever.

tiny bit different to the UK Govt, which can be voted out in elections.

carry on.

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Tuesday, 15 Jun 2021 at 7:53pm

"Maybe, but as long as there's an inkling of oppression, people will wonder about life without it.

And then set about making it happen."

You mean like Hong Kong Stu?

China has forever been authoritarian the Chinese know no other system ever.

Taiwan is a Chinese asset geographically and strategically a hint on how far the US will go defending it is the scramble to move chipmaking out of there.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/chipmaker-tsmc-eyeing-expansion-plann...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Tuesday, 15 Jun 2021 at 8:52pm

malaysia appear to be harbouring a little bit of (uncharacteristically public) paranoia too...

https://www.news.com.au/technology/innovation/military/chinas-alleged-br...

clif's picture
clif's picture
clif Tuesday, 15 Jun 2021 at 11:09pm

@freeride The CCP is multiple not a monolithic entity. So, there are shifts in agendas, representatives, etc. There are elections, by the way. People and groups as part of the CCP are not above accountability. It is a different system than you are used to, of course. There are power blocs that stay in place for periods. Not saying it is not authoritarian but its not the dystopia you paint it either. It does have serious problems, including human rights. I am always taken aback by those who feel they have the knowledge to pass sweeping and generalising judgement on a culture and peoples they know little about.
And my point was it is worth paying attention to getting one's own house in order before you passing judgement on a culture and peoples you know little about.

And what, in the UK we vote all we want but the ruling class remains the ruling class? Then there's the monarchy that you can't vote on. Some of the shit I see here (poverty, pollution, cronyism, etc) is worse than what I saw and experienced in China.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 15 Jun 2021 at 11:13pm

Good to see you on here Clif. I hope you're scoring some waves.

clif's picture
clif's picture
clif Tuesday, 15 Jun 2021 at 11:35pm

Yeah, we get a few during the season. Some high quality stuff winter just gone. Summer though is no surf ... like at all. haha. Everyone on SUPS or MTB. I just curl up in the corner.

Hope you getting in. And stop posting those indo pics. Bloody upsetting me hahahahahaha

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 15 Jun 2021 at 11:57pm

hahaha yeah i got a bit carried a way when i used to drink too much..lol

Mountain biking is good for flow and surfing