Tips for beginner

Mammoth's picture
Mammoth started the topic in Monday, 2 Apr 2018 at 11:31pm

I’ve been surfing a longboard (10’6, not sure about other dimensions, it’s made in Torquay) and now got to the point I can pop up and go down the line and move around the wave to keep catching it. Dad just bought me a 7’4 length 20.5 inches across the chest and just under 3 inches thick fun board , my brother who surfs a bit has told me there are a few differences to catching waves on this so was just looking for some tips on how to progress. I’m 6’5 and 85kg

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 3 Apr 2018 at 6:29am

Good on ya mate. A shorter board won't be quite as stable as the longboard (for paddling), but once you develop some skills it'll allow you to turn much more easily. You'll need to learn to read waves a little better too, as riding shortboards means you need to take off closer to the breaking wave, so you'll have to paddle faster and learn to spring up really fast.

Mammoth's picture
Mammoth's picture
Mammoth Tuesday, 3 Apr 2018 at 5:47pm

Thanks mate, went out on it today and struggled to get out so have to learn to duck dive, any tips? I could paddle on to waves but was really struggling to get up quickly, any tips on poping up quickly ? I can do it on the mal but with so much less stability and length I struggled today

I focus's picture
I focus's picture
I focus Tuesday, 3 Apr 2018 at 6:31pm

Mammoth make a cardboard cut out of your board mark out your feet positions and practice pop ups landing your feet in the correct locations.

Take it slowly slow motion wise at first to avoid shoulder injuries then build up, a fast pop up sets you up for the wave this will help a little with core strength and stability.

Nothing beats tim in the water surfing.