How good is Mick Fanning

shoredump's picture
shoredump started the topic in Wednesday, 28 Feb 2018 at 8:04pm

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Wednesday, 28 Feb 2018 at 8:08pm

Mick has announced his retirement. He’s been one of my favourite surfers for a long time. Good surfer and fella. I’ll never forget that shark scare at JBay, watching live it felt at the time it was going to be a very different outcome once that wave moves and he came back in view. He’s done a fair bit in his career...

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 28 Feb 2018 at 8:48pm

He’s only 2 years older than me and he’s surfed so fucken good for so long. One of my first surf videos was ETR and he was this skinny little kid surfing pumping Kirra tubes. Then I flogged the life out of Fanning The Fire when it came out.
In real life when you’re in the water with him it’s hard to comprehend how he goes so fast and turns so hard on such steep parts of the wave.
Just a good Ozzy bloke and fucken legend!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 28 Feb 2018 at 9:30pm

A long long time ago, he accidentally knocked half my beer or maybe it was a bourbon onto the floor at the Edge and he bought me another :D

Good bloke.

ringmaster's picture
ringmaster's picture
ringmaster Thursday, 1 Mar 2018 at 5:12am

Surfing 6ft Cloudbreak perfection one day in 2011 and Mick paddles out. Friendly, laid back and ripping. Anyone in the water that session would have left with a good impression.

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg Thursday, 1 Mar 2018 at 1:31pm

"A long long time ago, he accidentally knocked half my beer or maybe it was a bourbon onto the floor at the Edge and he bought me another :D"

Haha...that is a long time ago Indo...would have been expensive too...50c

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 1 Mar 2018 at 3:53pm

I think they had gone up to a $1 by then but still cheap, it was around the time his first brother died, I'm not sure he was doing the tour yet.

He wasn't at the Edge every Thursday and Saturday night like myself but he was a semi regular there.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Friday, 16 Aug 2019 at 6:42pm

Swellnet Crew all wish Mick Fanning a speedy recovery...

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/mick-fanning-ruptures-acl-in-freak-surfing-a...