Crescent Head on a big swell

abrion20's picture
abrion20 started the topic in Tuesday, 13 Feb 2018 at 3:44pm

I am trying to decide where to go for this weekend's cyclone swell. Don't think anywhere in my area will even remotely hold the swell so I was thinking of driving up to Crescent. Does anyone here know if crescent can hold swell events like these?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 13 Feb 2018 at 7:56pm

I'd give it a miss. Will be too big and breaking wide and not feeling the point right when the swell kicks in solid. Also likely closing out across to a bommie offshore. And there was a huge sand deposit left off the point after the last large south swell so it's not in good shape in any case.

That's all I'm giving you :)
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 13 Feb 2018 at 7:58pm

Don't know.

But it's nice just to see the words Crescent head again, driving up the coast it was always the first spot where it felt like i had gotten away from the cold of Vicco just a sand bottom point with pandanus.

Not the most challenging wave but a fun spot on it's day, and i just love a point break where you walk back out and jump off the rocks into the lineup.

Spent a lot of van time in that carpark just hanging between surfs, really go the urge now to just go live in a van for 6 months chasing swells up and down the coast. :(

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 13 Feb 2018 at 8:55pm

Nothing wrong with Crescent indo. Get a decent bank running into the rivermouth and it's still a stack of fun. We used to camp in the weathershed if you remember that you have a few miles on the speedo.

peterb's picture
peterb's picture
peterb Wednesday, 14 Feb 2018 at 8:21am

Aye to that.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 14 Feb 2018 at 8:35am

Lot of people, rightly or wrongly, comparing this upcoming swell to Tropical Cyclone Winston two years back. I surfed Crescent during TC Winston and it was too big for the bank, breaking wide out the back meaning lots of water moving out near the end of the point and a bit of a gamble which ones would back off enough to hit the inside with some sort of shape. Didn't stop the carpark from filling, however if this swell gets up there I'd suggest looking further afield.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Wednesday, 14 Feb 2018 at 11:05am

AB, think outside the square for this event. Google Maps is your best friend!!!

And Sheepy.....no commentary with any hints from you!!!!

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Wednesday, 14 Feb 2018 at 1:34pm

Nope no good, but down further south of Port Maq. has some great options.

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Wednesday, 14 Feb 2018 at 1:36pm

Syd Harbour? ;)

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Wednesday, 14 Feb 2018 at 2:16pm

shhh don...........lol

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 14 Feb 2018 at 2:23pm

Ahhh don naming names.... Disgraceful lol

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Wednesday, 14 Feb 2018 at 2:24pm

LOL SD

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Wednesday, 14 Feb 2018 at 5:01pm

I know of a place that will hold if the swell gets BIG
full size but not telling.

the chase's picture
the chase's picture
the chase Wednesday, 14 Feb 2018 at 5:11pm

I think the bigger issue is can you get out.

abrion20's picture
abrion20's picture
abrion20 Thursday, 15 Feb 2018 at 1:07pm

Appreciate everyone's feedback. Will be very interesting to see how this all plays out and where I end up. Have fun!