Telo Island Lodge versus Latitude zero resort

davel's picture
davel started the topic in Sunday, 11 Feb 2018 at 9:22am

Looking at booking a 10 day stay in late September/early October. Travelling solo. Any info regarding a choice of one over the other would be greatly appreciated. Considerations would include cost, access to waves, crowds, and services.
Thanks for the help.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 6 May 2022 at 12:31pm

There were 4 or 5 in the RLZ partnership.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 6 May 2022 at 3:14pm
seaslug wrote:

Matt sold RLZ I hear

Argh okay that makes sense must have been during Covid.

VicRhino's picture
VicRhino's picture
VicRhino Sunday, 20 Nov 2022 at 10:59am

Anyone stayed at TSV this year?

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Sunday, 20 Nov 2022 at 11:15am

Yes. Stayed there in May. We were their first guests in more than 2yrs

VicRhino's picture
VicRhino's picture
VicRhino Sunday, 20 Nov 2022 at 12:51pm
maddogmorley wrote:

Yes. Stayed there in May. We were their first guests in more than 2yrs

Thoughts? Looking at booking that’s all

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Sunday, 20 Nov 2022 at 2:22pm

I like it. Been there 4 times now. Cheap, nice wave out the front and get to surf all the same waves as the more expensive resorts like Telo Island Lodge, Pinnacels etc. They don't head south tho to Monkeys or the beachie etc so keep that in mind. Also keep in mind you will be spending the whole day in the boat if you dont want to stay on land and surf out the front all day. They dont go back for lunch like Telo Island Lodge.

VicRhino's picture
VicRhino's picture
VicRhino Sunday, 20 Nov 2022 at 3:13pm
maddogmorley wrote:

I like it. Been there 4 times now. Cheap, nice wave out the front and get to surf all the same waves as the more expensive resorts like Telo Island Lodge, Pinnacels etc. They don't head south tho to Monkeys or the beachie etc so keep that in mind. Also keep in mind you will be spending the whole day in the boat if you dont want to stay on land and surf out the front all day. They dont go back for lunch like Telo Island Lodge.

Thanks so much for writing back, sounds great I’ll pass it on! Cheers

VicRhino's picture
VicRhino's picture
VicRhino Sunday, 20 Nov 2022 at 3:13pm
maddogmorley wrote:

Thanks so much for writing back, sounds great I’ll pass it on! Cheers

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Sunday, 20 Nov 2022 at 3:21pm

No worries - you'll have a great time there if you decide to go. The lodge itself is a beautiful building - roomy and cool in the hot indo sun.....easy to visit the local villages too - unlike a lot of the other resorts

PrecambrianPeter's picture
PrecambrianPeter Tuesday, 7 Feb 2023 at 11:44am

G'day crew. The misso and I are looking to book our first proper indo trip in the Telo area for September / October this year and looking for some insights to on where to book. I'll list a couple criteria I'm hoping to tick off.

1. A slightly shorter stay than the most common 12 days + travel time. 9-10 full days would be ideal as we have a shortish window (3 weeks) to tick off a couple more commitments in Indo. Not too fussed risking missing out on the day of days as I doubt I'll be up to getting in the mix anyway.
2. Misso would be looking to surf the most beginner friendly waves in the area and would also be happy looking for non-surf (still water based) activities to fill a couple days.
3. Accommodation would preferably be in the 'better than surf camp, cheaper than 5 star' range.

Monkeys looked like a great pick but from what I can see only offer 12+ day stays.
Some input from the experienced would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers!

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 7 Feb 2023 at 12:48pm

Telos lodge seems like the pick of luxury surf camps. But never been just seen many photos of pool out front of rooms etc and pelagic fish for dinner every night.

spidermonkey's picture
spidermonkey's picture
spidermonkey Tuesday, 7 Feb 2023 at 1:30pm

Monkey's is really nice, easy right hander out front, good boat to take you to other spots. Not many non surf activities tho. I reckon they be flexible with stays if you ask

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 7 Feb 2023 at 5:47pm
PrecambrianPeter wrote:

G'day crew. The misso and I are looking to book our first proper indo trip in the Telo area for September / October this year and looking for some insights to on where to book. I'll list a couple criteria I'm hoping to tick off.

1. A slightly shorter stay than the most common 12 days + travel time. 9-10 full days would be ideal as we have a shortish window (3 weeks) to tick off a couple more commitments in Indo. Not too fussed risking missing out on the day of days as I doubt I'll be up to getting in the mix anyway.
2. Misso would be looking to surf the most beginner friendly waves in the area and would also be happy looking for non-surf (still water based) activities to fill a couple days.
3. Accommodation would preferably be in the 'better than surf camp, cheaper than 5 star' range.

Monkeys looked like a great pick but from what I can see only offer 12+ day stays.
Some input from the experienced would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers!

One aspect to consider is how much time you and the missus want to spend on a boat.

Many resorts dont go back for lunch and stay out on the boat all day especially Resort Lattude Zero, so your missus will have to tag along all day and wait on the boat or stay at the resort all day until you get home.

Im not a fan of any of the big resorts IMHO they are way overpriced but Telo Island Lodge and Pinnacles same owners both go back to resorts for lunch and have a very good reputation they dont sit on waves all day and their guides are aways friendly and real respectful in the water.

Also only a few resorts have pools Pinnacles, Telos 101, Resort Lat Zero, sorry Groundswell but Telo Island Lodge dont have a pool, its their pinnacles place that does (i will probably upset owners if they read this, but telos 101 doesn't have a good reputation as operators they were closed for years with issues)

Monkeys down south is in a totally different area they dont have a pool but have a nice beach to swim and i believe they also come home for lunch if go elsewhere (waves are all pretty close in that region though)

Im sure they would do a shorter stay, only issue with Monkeys for a shorter stay may be getting out earlier its in a more remote area so not as easy to get in and out, its doable but you will probably have to pay a few hundred extra to get shuttled to either Mentawais or Tello town to get fast ferry.

If your missus can get to her feet and trim Monkeys(Skateparks) is pretty perfect for her if small (just watch very end if low), for other surfers its fun great for turns but can be a bit gutless at times.

PrecambrianPeter Tuesday, 7 Feb 2023 at 7:35pm

Thanks for getting back to me guys.
@indo, I did see your comment further up regarding being locked up on the boat all day. I agree, my red hair and general lack of pigment has me torched when ever in the tropics and extra hours on the boat would be a bit more than a PITA.

I don't see a pool as a deal breaker, especially if there's a nice enough chunk of beach in close proximity.

Monkeys still the front runner than I think.
Indo, you've mentioned not being stoked on the large resorts a couple times. Is your preference home stays and smaller (cheaper?) lodges and the like? I haven't done extensive digging but not found much of that genre of stay either.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 7 Feb 2023 at 7:46pm

Pretty sure IndoD organizes and translates for telos surf house or some name like that camp near a spot called Mishos or missionaries. He mentions it earlier in this thread i think.
Pretty sure he stays there but also owns land near telescopes in ments and some other land in Krui.