Sri Lanka (east) in June?

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay started the topic in Tuesday, 6 Feb 2018 at 2:06pm

Some advice, please.

My wife is dead keen on going to Sri Lanka, and I love righthand points - even small, grovelly ones. My only reservations are with the infamously hostile and clueless crowds. Is it bad at that time? Can you escape by going north and south from Arugum Bay to the smaller points, or are you doomed?

All info gratefully received, thank you

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 6 Feb 2018 at 4:08pm

Bump!

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg Tuesday, 6 Feb 2018 at 8:23pm

Yes you can escape from Arugam easily...options within 2 hrs mostly.
And I've never found the crowd there that bad anyway. Indo, Hawaii etc. are way worse. Come to think of it the crowds at home are way worse.
Sri Lanka is beautiful...enjoy!

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Wednesday, 7 Feb 2018 at 5:56am

Cheers crg

When you say within 2 hours, do you mean other places to base yourself, or 4 hours of tuk-tuking for a day trip?

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg Wednesday, 7 Feb 2018 at 1:29pm

I haven't been for a few years but there was accomodation available through local contacts anywhere you go. Tuk tuk or stay...its up to you.
Email my mate [email protected] He was one of Sri Lanka's first surfers and an absolute gentleman. He can look after you from airport pick up right the way through to home stays with locals.

mr mick's picture
mr mick's picture
mr mick Wednesday, 7 Feb 2018 at 8:34pm

In Sri Lanka last July for 10 days, based at Aragum Bay & enjoyed it heaps. OK, crowds :pretty hectic at the bay, when up to 4ft heaps anywhere between 50 -70 i head counted, mostly Euro wanna be"s , few aussie's, Israelis, etc. 5ft & over they clear out to the other points, so many learners who have no idea.I wouldn't say it was hostile, very little manners, as a lot don't have a clue. We went to Peanut Farm ,Okanda & Pottival Point. Out of those 3, Pottival was the better fun, but like anywhere they can all have their day. I found a lot of mornings A Bay had a morning sickness on it, then a couple hours after sunrise turn offshore for couple hours , then mostly side shore, still ok if had a bit of size. A few arvo's had the glass off surf & the locals come out to play in the cooler hours. Accomadation: i stayed at Upali, right on the point, if i go again i wouldn't stay, good to wake up & surf check but more expensive than in town, & that's where all the action is anyway. The other points, very little accomadation, would be dead at night. Scenery quite good, didn't go into Nat Parks, but did see Elephants, deer, buffalo etc on our journeys to the points.
Transport: Booked a driver & picked up at airport, cost around $90 AU. I went at night arriving at 2am after 7hr white knuckle drive! On leaving A Bay got onto what they call the "luxury bus" it was a real good bus, cost $10 & boards $10. The only downer 6hrs continuous Bollywood music, i kid you not, f#@k'n did my head in! That left Pottival at 9pm, another left at 10 pm, no music whatsoever apparently. Depends on what deranged driver you get i guess! Food all good [usually] people fine [usually] Any other questions send ém through. Also check out FB sites like A Bay Traveller, A Bay surf community, Sri Lankan Backpackers etc etc, some good info/tips. Enjoy!!

mowgli's picture
mowgli's picture
mowgli Thursday, 8 Feb 2018 at 5:30pm

Went to A-Bay in 2009. Agree with pretty much everything mr mick has said. Not so much hostile as just very little consideration out in surf. Mostly from Israelis. Though they can get aggressive. Had older Israeli bloke explain to us that most of hte aggro ones are the young blokes who've just finished compulsory service, have coke habits, saw some shit, and know krav maga....

stop in at the ancient capital of Kandy....you won't be disappointed...take a hoodie though as it can get nippy...

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 8 Feb 2018 at 8:27pm

Mowgli what is krav maga?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 8 Feb 2018 at 8:33pm

Pretty sure it’s Kung foo with hummus instead of rice between bouts.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 8 Feb 2018 at 8:44pm

Krav Maga Israeli self defence U tube got some gd vids on it

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 8 Feb 2018 at 8:57pm

Chur

paul davidson's picture
paul davidson's picture
paul davidson Monday, 11 Jun 2018 at 9:39am

hey Mr Mick..when you said you booked a driver from the airport did you do that before you left? how did you sort it please?

nomad1's picture
nomad1's picture
nomad1 Monday, 11 Jun 2018 at 5:14pm

I had initially planned to take a train Colombo to Ella but plane delay meant that was a no go. So we improvised in the airport and booked a driver there for a couple days. Dude drove us to Ella and we discovered most hotels have driver accomodation so he stayed there for the 2 nights then he drove us over to Arugam bay.
Presume you can book in advance but with some haggle skills at the airport you should be able to sort one out no worries.