Sri Lanka Surfboards + Guide

cgrover's picture
cgrover started the topic in Friday, 5 Jan 2018 at 3:19pm

Looking for a bit of guidance for a trip to Sri Lanka, Welligama to be more accurate. I know the surf isn't epic but want to take one board but would welcome some advice on the type of board, shorty? Hybrid fish? Evo? Also getting hold of a guide for a couple of days to do a bit of exploring for some waves- any advice?

tangles 65's picture
tangles 65's picture
tangles 65 Wednesday, 10 Jan 2018 at 1:25pm

Too easy. Grab a tuk-tuk (or let a driver grab you!). The road follows the coast north of Welli so it's easy to find waves within 15 minutes. Just pull over and check the spots. Plenty of spots south of Welli too. I took 2 boards but rode my fish most days. Maybe take a spare cos there are plenty of learners around, and dings are likely! Mostly fun waves, nothing too serious there. Enjoy !

cgrover's picture
cgrover's picture
cgrover Thursday, 25 Jan 2018 at 5:51pm

Thanks tangles

flow's picture
flow's picture
flow Sunday, 5 Aug 2018 at 6:39pm

Can you hire good boards there? I'll only be surfing for 4 days. Not sure if I could be bothered carting my board around for the whole 2 weeks. Hikkaduwa area

cgrover's picture
cgrover's picture
cgrover Wednesday, 8 Aug 2018 at 3:33pm

Hikkaduwa will be fine but the quality and range is pretty hit and miss. If you are on public transport eg trains and buses carrying a board is painful because of the crowds. Taxis and tuk tuks usually have softracks and/or ropes. I carried a single board without too much drama but it can be a hassle if the board's much over 6ft.

cgrover's picture
cgrover's picture
cgrover Wednesday, 8 Aug 2018 at 3:39pm

Mate I looked at this thread realised I hadn't thanked you for the advice re Sri Lanka in this thread. I had a great time, scored waves everywhere but Welligama was so fun. Had a range of waves but the swell ranged from overhead to waist high runners. Beautiful water. great food and super fun waves. Thanks again.

rubytipped's picture
rubytipped's picture
rubytipped Wednesday, 17 Oct 2018 at 11:21am

what about bodyboards? are there any decent ones for hire with fins? heading there this january (2019)