Order in the lineup

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie started the topic in Friday, 5 Jan 2018 at 7:37am

Apparently a few crew up Sawtells have had enough.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-23/surf-code/9077168

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Friday, 5 Jan 2018 at 7:40am

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-23/surf-code/9077168

Imagine this could apply at varying levels at different surf breaks around Aus.
Seems this bloke who made the sign who moved there in 1995 is sick of hassling for waves don't blame him although as relevant as it is more than the amount of time in an area should apply.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 5 Jan 2018 at 7:53am

1996 eh? Wonder why such a specific date is mentioned. Not much on the web.. other than "Isoloader, established 25 years ago, moved to Sawtell in 1996."

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 5 Jan 2018 at 9:10am

The date maybe be random or it maybe the date some unpopular property development opened up doubling the population given the sign also refers to how it was once a quiet seaside village or given its proximity to Coffs was that the year the Pacific Highway was duplicated allowing quicker access to the Coffs crew.

Overall the sentiment on the sign is good .... commonsense and respect go along way.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 5 Jan 2018 at 9:32am

Maybe 20 years is the probationary period before all but the most Deliverance /Hills have eyes- style locals accept you without scorn ?

Not referring to Sawtell specifically.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Friday, 5 Jan 2018 at 10:26am

1996 is a strange year to pluck out.
The sentiment of the sign is good and I agree about Etiquette does being a local have the right to be disrespectful? Some would think so I bet maybe the bloke who erected the sign is struggling to get waves due to ability level and time maybe not who knows but surfing crowded line ups as frustrating as it is if you are competent you will manage to get waves without the need to fight for them.

"You can have 50 guys in the line-up and there might only be 50 rideable waves in that hour; that's only one wave per person," why on earth would people paddle out if the number of waves vs surfers in the lineup was like that? No doubt there will be people drifting around not surfing it's about assessing the line up.

eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies Friday, 5 Jan 2018 at 2:43pm

Some locals that have lived somewhere for 20 years or more spend as much time hassleing and bitching about each other as much as the blowins, from my experience.
There’s good and bad in every group.
Everyone’s a local somewhere and all surfers travel .
Just remember that each area has its own spin on etiquette just like each pub has its own pool table rules.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Friday, 5 Jan 2018 at 2:32pm

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Friday, 5 Jan 2018 at 2:36pm

''Yes what irony alright,Nat complaining about being bashed,fully deserved it at the time.But this is what surfing has become,see it every day and can fully relate to the person having the shits with the idiots who have no idea ,no respect and dont give a fuck about anyone except themselves......i got run over by a mal rider who went left on a right and then paniced and jumped off his board when he saw me and pushed his 9ft mal at me and hit me in the spine and layed me up for 10 days......paddled away and didnt say sorry,do you need help...nothing.....fuckem.Not sure if the signs going to do any good but i understand the writers sentiment,probably been run over too.

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Friday, 5 Jan 2018 at 11:50pm

20 years is about right
I spent 20 Years earning my respect and position at my local. And I was born there. why the fuck should Johnny come lately not do his time like the rest of us. Just add water locals can pick at the scraps till they earn their spot and do their time.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 6 Jan 2018 at 6:32pm

I had one of the best surfs at that spot about 15 years ago, fun walls from the outside running into perfect head high crystal clear inside sand bottom barrels...i can still remember one or two barrels like it was yesterday...those barrels where everything is just so clear and crisp and glassy you can see the sand through the wave and you are just sitting there like its in super slow motion.

thebeard's picture
thebeard's picture
thebeard Saturday, 6 Jan 2018 at 10:49pm

If you think of the pecking order as an opportunity to learn more about a spot, the conditions, local surf crew and surfing in general, it actually makes good sense. When I moved from vicco to a famous point break on the east coast, I started at the bottom of it all. But every time a local ripped on a cracker of a wave, I learned bit more. I think an open mind, humble attitude and a little less ego, go a long way.

Sprout's picture
Sprout's picture
Sprout Sunday, 7 Jan 2018 at 9:56am

A couple of Spanish tourists came out the local one day, said hello to the 4 of us that were out and shook each of our hands. They went and sat off the end for a good half hour catching leftovers, didn't even attempt to sit on the spot even when empty. Cheered people on the good ones, chatted to us as we paddled back out. Pretty soon we were all mates, chatting about surfing around the world, sharing set waves and having a good time. Respect, patience and good vibes.

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg Sunday, 7 Jan 2018 at 12:39pm

How good is that Sprout? It's really that simple but unfortunately so rare.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 7 Jan 2018 at 6:37pm

Cool link NZ.

I liked the last line where the German fella said that on the day previous there had been 70 people in the line up and that everyone had been respectful . Then he said that there'd been 3 people on every wave . Something doesn't add up there .....

Also liked how everyone that said the crowds were an issue but something that people had to accept was a surf instructor or ran a surf shop.

Strange how when peoples opinions are canvassed it's usually those with a financial investment in the increase of surfer numbers saying that crowds are cool , mmmmkay.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Sunday, 7 Jan 2018 at 6:56pm

Good Link inzider . Local regulation is a good thing when it benefits all by keeping the water safe allowing the lineup to be regulated the problem is people like these rules at their own local but feel they don't need to abide by it elsewhere.

Wonder if Professional surfer Daniel Kereopa who says "locals should have right of way on the waves" applies the same when he travels? I also wonder when travelling away from home how to identify the locals and no locals.

When I last travelled to surf a well known point near Lorne paddling from behind the break a handful of others in the line up paddling from behind the break you get to the take off spot being in position for first wave. Waited till everyone had their pick of set waves and then took a smaller one slowly integrating myself into the line up got chatting to a few of the blokes out there they were good and eventually started calling me into some of the better waves out there.

Hour goes by more crew hit it straight to the inside no fucks given whoever has been waiting longer taking the first wave that comes through for them. Amazing how a lineup changes drop ins etc. A lot to be said about a respectful orderly line up locals and visitors need to both play a part there needs to be a pecking order but if people aren't allowed waves the pecking order will break down.

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Sunday, 7 Jan 2018 at 7:04pm

https://www.instagram.com/mcsurfboards/?hl=en

Saw that this happened to Maurice Cole not sure if it was bells of elsewhere. Maurice post's photos of Bells has 20.5k followers a surfboard manufacturing business etc don't know the bloke at all but imagine he wouldn't get burnt there often but it's definitely a consequence of an unregulated line up. Yet there is a conflict because without people learning to surf and purchasing boards and equipment M.Cole may have needed a different career.

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Sunday, 7 Jan 2018 at 7:59pm

Two German tourists at my local recently who were learning to surf
Paddling right through up the inside paddling for anything and everything regardless of anyone who might have been on the wave already. They were told they were not welcome by several.
These people need to be told politely to go elsewhere and if they don't move along they need to be told to Fuck right off aggresuvly.
What is happening at raglan is fast going to get worse where I am because raglan locals tell tourists to hit our reefs further down the road. (cunts).
Regulation is a thing of the past for many overcrowded spots. If your local still has some sort of order, be staunch and keep it that way.
Surfing bells the other weekend and there were many kooks that should not have been out there. Just plain dangerous. I had several fucknuts ditch their boards in front of me cause they couldn't duck dive a 3ft wave.
Fuck being PC get up them everytime.