Flat foil vs inside foil ?

Mat6920's picture
Mat6920 started the topic in Tuesday, 5 Dec 2017 at 4:59pm

Hey,

Can you guys please share your experience riding both flat foil and foiled fins for thruster ? Just got a new channel island fever to surf 2 foot + to 4 foot Sydney northern beach break.

Can't make up my mind as far as what would be the best choice for those condition. I know that foiled fins are made to generate speed in smaller waves but up to what size foiled fins are coming to a limit ....

Basically i hesitate between Dane Reynold Black panthers vs Blackstick 3.0 (futures)

Thanks !

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 5 Dec 2017 at 6:39pm

Good question mate. Someone more learned than I will provide some info! I've never delved that far into fins.

eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies Sunday, 10 Dec 2017 at 9:57am

I wouldnt consider myself more learned than you thermal but since no one else has added to mats question i figured i could at least add a personal veiw on the subject.

I used to allways feel that flat on the inside of side fins came off the bottom better if aiming for the lip .
Inside foiled fins felt better and maybe a bit faster down the line or through longer turns.

These days i just ride inside foil all the time although i doctor them up a bit.

Im definitely no expert and foils have probably improved since i made these conclusions.
Good luck.

Clam's picture
Clam's picture
Clam Monday, 11 Dec 2017 at 12:31am

For going down the line and projecting across big sections a flat side fin can defeat a concave foil in 4-8ft waves.
Much easier to make it down line......

Inner concave small wave foil fin is much better for arcing turns and lip turns.
More grip up around the lip. ...

sharkman's picture
sharkman's picture
sharkman Monday, 11 Dec 2017 at 7:41am

Flat side fin foil , are better in small waves , up to 4-6" , over that you can uses a double foiled fin as they perform much better at high speed , but not at low speeds , go the Blackstix , try an EA design , and if you have a bit of power in your surfing , try the EA Vector II's , they have a lot of drive, but if you are not a man carve kinda surfer , just get the right size for your weight and waves!