Surfboard charity

Doublems111X's picture
Doublems111X started the topic in Sunday, 3 Dec 2017 at 3:19pm

I have a collection of boards either left by friends or which I've replaced and or outgrown(age and belly)
They're all in my shed and find that shops will give you next to nothing for them albeit in actual good nic. I was wondering if there is an charity that will appreciate boards as they supply less privileged locally or in remote areas of the world. I wanted to take them on a recent trip and wish I did but travelling with 5 boards(2 for me and 3 to give away was a logistical nightmare)
Cheers

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 3 Dec 2017 at 8:20pm

New Guinea ?
New Guinea Air were transporting them for free a few years ago ?

Doublems111X's picture
Doublems111X's picture
Doublems111X Sunday, 3 Dec 2017 at 10:25pm

Hmmmm, maybe. It was codeshare with Quantas when I went which was 2 pieces of luggage at 30Kgs max. No mention of this by Worldsurfaries. Bummer

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Monday, 4 Dec 2017 at 6:16am

Give them to the Salvo's.

Damothediver's picture
Damothediver's picture
Damothediver Monday, 4 Dec 2017 at 6:59am

I gave a few boards to these guys earlier this year,
http://specials.perfectwavetravel.com/a-perfect-foundation-surfboard-drive/

Or you could follow this one up for more info
http://www.sapng.com/surf-management-plan/surfboard-donation
Travelling with extra boards can be a bit of a pain, but I take some books and pencils/pens, and some footballs and give them to a local school or someone in the community who can distribute them appropriately.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Monday, 4 Dec 2017 at 7:47am

The Salvo's

Doublems111X's picture
Doublems111X's picture
Doublems111X Tuesday, 5 Dec 2017 at 8:49am

Perfect. Thanks guys

1floorup's picture
1floorup's picture
1floorup Friday, 2 Feb 2018 at 7:49pm

I frequent Indonesia 5 times a year and have become a keen altruist to donate all things surfing to kids in Bali through to Sumbawa.

My most recent effort to deliver a gift was taxed heavily by Bali customs and has since led me to ponder other avenues to relocate second hand surfboards into the country without being stung with inflated luxury goods tax.

Seems there is no lack of second hand surfboards to spare here and my thinking would be that many Aussies would chip in something preloved and unused if they knew the delivery/cause/programme was honest, sound and transparent ( not sure about you but I have 3 in my garage right now that would be better loved in younger hands!) Would be good to gather a few similar minds that could co-ordinate a strategy or perhaps just start a dialogue that could lead to something well received.

innatube's picture
innatube's picture
innatube Saturday, 3 Feb 2018 at 2:02pm

From my experience, parents in Indo don't want their kids hooked on surfing, they want them concentrating on school, getting an education that will help the family.

Just sayin'.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 3 Feb 2018 at 3:09pm

I have mixed feelings about this topic.

Giving away trailer loads of boards doesn't really sit well with me, but that said I've given away four boards to four different Indo groms, but more because of the friendships id built rather than just random flood of boards.

Actually i think only one of them still surfs anyway.

Quint's picture
Quint's picture
Quint Sunday, 4 Feb 2018 at 6:37am

Took extra gear and board in 2008' to Ments for poor kids and skipper said "no way" you are giving that stuff to them. In outrage I say "wtf!" and he doesn't give a toss. Our boat leaves turds and won't let me leave clothes and a board? Aussies are such grubs.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 4 Feb 2018 at 8:36am

The fish eat your turds.

morg's picture
morg's picture
morg Monday, 5 Feb 2018 at 1:53pm

I have mixed feelings about this too. Several years ago I ended up at a place (not Indo) where well meaning surfers had provided surfboards and equipment to a village and helped them set up a sort of surf club for the kids. One of the elders confided in me that he wished they had provided push bikes so that they could get around on. A bike meant a lot less time spent walking and made it easier and faster to carry stuff. It was pretty third world there and made me realise that sometimes their actual needs and lifestyle are a lot more fundamental than having wonderful things to play with and enjoy. Just sayin . . .

dimdim's picture
dimdim's picture
dimdim Monday, 5 Feb 2018 at 4:04pm

Who remembers Lanka before the locals surfed ? Try donating a water tank you heroes.

eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies Monday, 5 Feb 2018 at 4:21pm

Ya reckon it would fit in me board bag?

simplefinsinlife's picture
simplefinsinlife's picture
simplefinsinlife Monday, 5 Feb 2018 at 11:07pm

What about keeping it local? Disabled surfing/youth programs/Salvos (as mentioned above).

Where I live I am currently working with a couple of local organisations to try and get a few indigenous youth surfing and using it as an incentive for increasing school attendance.

1floorup's picture
1floorup's picture
1floorup Friday, 23 Feb 2018 at 9:13pm

I pondered long and hard whether I should or shouldn't donate items when I am there and as always ( with most things in life! ) there is always someone to challenge the decisions you make based on their prejudices and experiences or whatever, so in then end I stopped asking and just ended up doing it because I felt doing something was better than nothing. We support a Timor assistance programme through my company so the motivation to research this further through this channel only came naturally.