Aceh

desoutc's picture
desoutc started the topic in Saturday, 25 Nov 2017 at 5:34pm

Howdy folks
Heading to Jakarta early next year to intern with the BBC for six weeks.
I wasn't going to take a board, but I'll have two weeks of free time up my sleeve before my visa expires, and was thinking of heading up to Aceh. Had a strange fascination with the place for a while. Anyone been up there before?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 26 Nov 2017 at 3:26pm

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 26 Nov 2017 at 5:44pm

Spot I always wanted to get too, had my eyes on it before the quake/tsunami but never did as only so much time and always get trapped going back to places , waves and friends i love.

Heard it can get a bit busy now at Lhoknga (peak) the main surf spot and now popular with kite surfers in the offseason (April-Oct)

When are you going?

Best time for surfing wind wise is (Nov-March)

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 26 Nov 2017 at 7:30pm

Never been there but you should be aware that it is under Sharia law. I used to know a guy who lived at Lhokna and narrowly escaped the tsunami, I hear he is letting rooms on the point now.

desoutc's picture
desoutc's picture
desoutc Monday, 27 Nov 2017 at 2:51pm

Cheers Indo
Was thinking of heading there in mid-late Feb for a few weeks.
Tossing up going to Simelue instead, somewhere rural and quiet could be a pleasant contrast after six weeks in Jakarta. Heard the waves can get good too, or at least better than Aceh.
Any advice for Jakarta?

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Monday, 27 Nov 2017 at 2:57pm

Use a condom and if a girl asks for a beer tell her its her shout first.

desoutc's picture
desoutc's picture
desoutc Monday, 27 Nov 2017 at 2:59pm

Hey BB, yep I'm aware it's under Sharia law.
What does this mean for the travelling surfer though, other than no beer, obviously.
Interesting how most of the pot cultivated in Indo seems to come from Aceh; some of the major Islamic strongholds around the world - Pakistan, Afghanistan - also seem to responsible for producing a fair chunk of the stuff consumed around the globe. Wonder why?

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 27 Nov 2017 at 3:29pm

My information would be out of date now. I would make sure I got a good briefing from a resident westerner on arrival. I know alcohol and pot were easily available before the tsunami, probably still are, but not worth the risk I would think.