FluxFins - adjustable surfboard fins

Gary@FluxFins's picture
Gary@FluxFins started the topic in Thursday, 23 Nov 2017 at 10:06pm

Hi Swellnet community,

I'm Gary Irwig the founder of a new Aussie startup, FluxFins www.fluxfins.com. I wanted to reach out to you guys for some feedback on these flex adjustable fins I've been working on very hard for the last seven years here in Aus.

We launched on Kickstarter last week which is going well so far but now we are live, I'd love to know what you think of the idea:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1677310702/fluxfins-the-worlds-firs...

I’d really appreciate any thoughts, q&a, feedback, good or bad welcome!

Cheers,
Gary

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 24 Nov 2017 at 7:00am

bump

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 24 Nov 2017 at 7:55am

Honestly they look cheap and seem very gimmicky.

...but i guess someone had to do it.

Personally i think flex in fins is overrated and for the average surfer not something that noticeable, just a standard honeycomb fibreglass fin or even resin moulded are fine.

I'm not even convinced all the different materials make a noticeable difference, and I've bought the same template in different materials just to compare.

Even what people call plastic fins these days (resin moulded) are quite stiff and not like the early or very cheap plastic type fins.

IMO template, size and even foil is the most important and most noticeable aspect of a fin.

garyirwig's picture
garyirwig's picture
garyirwig Friday, 24 Nov 2017 at 12:20pm

Hi Indo Dreaming,
Thanks for your honest feedback mate. To be honest, there is actually a noticeable difference in the responsiveness of these fins as the stiffness settings are adjusted. If you, or anyone else would be interested in trialling them I’d be happy to meet with you somewhere, sometime to give them a run.
Cheers,
Gary

Bondisurfer's picture
Bondisurfer's picture
Bondisurfer Friday, 24 Nov 2017 at 2:50pm

How soon can I get my hands on them ?

garyirwig's picture
garyirwig's picture
garyirwig Friday, 24 Nov 2017 at 8:17pm

Hi Bondisurfer, they’re in the final stages of our initial production run so will be available before Christmas. Currently in Kickstarter. Have a look, let me know what you think...
Cheers!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 24 Nov 2017 at 8:31pm

Made in Aust or Offshore ?

Gary@FluxFins's picture
Gary@FluxFins's picture
Gary@FluxFins Friday, 24 Nov 2017 at 11:44pm

Hi Udo,
Conceived, designed, engineered in Australia. produced offshore.

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Saturday, 25 Nov 2017 at 6:32am

Good luck Gary, I don't mind shopping online but pre-paying for something that isn't even selling yet just doesn't seem right. I might come around one day, I was never going to use pay-wave, but I wave good-bye to my money daily now. I clicked on your link to accountability and found no-one was really.
https://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/kickstarter%20basics#Acco

ljkarma's picture
ljkarma's picture
ljkarma Saturday, 25 Nov 2017 at 7:00am

so Gary is this your invention and years of work to develop test and produce?

eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies Saturday, 25 Nov 2017 at 7:52am

Ive had a different veiw on flex in fins for years . Stiff flex for smaller waves to add drive and speed , and flex when it gets bigger and hollower for control and sorta flow.
I thought I Was just weird till i read a kelly slats interveiw that said the same.
I have allways played with fins on my new boards to tune them.
IE , ill sand the tabs to either to give the side fins more tilt for more TURN , or more straight up for down the line glide. So on and so forth.
Can completely change a board with all kinds of tricks , even moving them back and forward a bit , just a coule of thou makes a big difference, even one side fin a couple of thou to help a back hand bbotton turn , whatever.

Any ways , adjustable flex would be an awsome way to help tune a new board and can see a market for a few guys that would do tnis kind of thing.
Will probably try them my self if fin temps andd foils were compatable.
Good luck.

Gary@FluxFins's picture
Gary@FluxFins's picture
Gary@FluxFins Monday, 27 Nov 2017 at 4:41pm

hi eat-your-veges,
yeah good to hear you're on the same page. We definitely see the value in this, and can 100% feel the difference, and application to varying conditions and surfing preferences.
If you miss out on getting your fins via the kickstarter campaign then let me know if you'd like to get your hands some and we can arrange something.
Cheers!

Gary@FluxFins's picture
Gary@FluxFins's picture
Gary@FluxFins Monday, 27 Nov 2017 at 4:43pm

hi ljkarma,
this has been a long process to get where we are today. It's been a combined effort by many people.

Gary@FluxFins's picture
Gary@FluxFins's picture
Gary@FluxFins Monday, 27 Nov 2017 at 4:45pm

Hi crustt,
I understand your reservation but kickstarter is a well established platform, and used by millions to back new products. All good though, stay tuned and you'll be able to get the fins via other means once they launch...
cheers

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 27 Nov 2017 at 5:07pm

What approx are they going to cost Gary ?

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Monday, 27 Nov 2017 at 6:26pm

Also Gary are they weakened by the hollow section or is the whole fin hollow?Tested the strength of them ?

sharkman's picture
sharkman's picture
sharkman Tuesday, 28 Nov 2017 at 8:41am

interesting concept , but in the end how much will a set of fins cost...are we talking $200 , $300 .....???

Gary@FluxFins's picture
Gary@FluxFins's picture
Gary@FluxFins Tuesday, 28 Nov 2017 at 12:25pm

Hi Simba,
yes good question re strength. We have conducted in-depth strength testing and have engineered the material to withstand the forces required. We're confident that the strength is more than suitable for this application, while still allowing for enough flex adjustment.

ljkarma's picture
ljkarma's picture
ljkarma Tuesday, 28 Nov 2017 at 1:05pm

Hi again gary but with respect, you did not answer the question about YOUR involvement in the inventing and developing this product.
Seems to me if you are looking for financial support from us to help out the battler,, then the true story of your blood sweat and tears would seem the obvious base to give it some authenticity.

Gary@FluxFins's picture
Gary@FluxFins's picture
Gary@FluxFins Tuesday, 28 Nov 2017 at 4:47pm

Hi udo and sharkman,
we'll be selling these for $149 for a thruster set. We reckon this is really good value considering you get a range of flex options in one set! What do you think, in comparison to what else is on the market? Really appreciate your involvement and opinions here, cheers guys.

Gary@FluxFins's picture
Gary@FluxFins's picture
Gary@FluxFins Tuesday, 28 Nov 2017 at 5:25pm

Hi ljkarma,
thanks for taking such interest in my involvement. There honestly has been a team of really talented people involved in the process and without them we wouldn't be where we are today. Our aim now is to get this product into as many hands, and boards, as possible. I am an Industrial Designer so my expertise and involvement is in the design, development and engineering of the fins. I use a CAD program called SolidWorks to model the fin shape and internal cavity, along with the lever mechanism and spring to hold the lever in position. The method of construction to insert the internal mechanism has been the main challenge, especially in such a confined space, and exposure to the elements. The final engineered solution is the outcome of numerous design iterations, early 3D printed samples, and tooled prototype stages. It's been a long process but we're really happy with the result we have!

eddiewouldgo's picture
eddiewouldgo's picture
eddiewouldgo Wednesday, 29 Nov 2017 at 5:31am

Do these fins float Gary ?

Gary@FluxFins's picture
Gary@FluxFins's picture
Gary@FluxFins Friday, 1 Dec 2017 at 8:57am

Hi eddiewouldgo,
good question! We've conducted testing on a range of fins, none of which float. do you know of any that do?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 17 Dec 2017 at 9:24am

10 k target reached
Good luck with them.

Lanky Dean's picture
Lanky Dean's picture
Lanky Dean Sunday, 17 Dec 2017 at 2:48pm

Great ideas . Would really like to try out a set of these. Do you have a quad set in production.?

Gary@FluxFins's picture
Gary@FluxFins's picture
Gary@FluxFins Monday, 18 Dec 2017 at 12:48pm

Thanks Udo, we're off and racing!

Hi Lanky Dean (good name), quads are scheduled for next production run in 2018. At this stage we have started with thruster sets. The kickstarter campaign is complete now so you can purchase them via our website www.fluxfins.com. Keen to hear what you think!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 27 Feb 2018 at 7:12pm

$100 dual tab thruster set shipped.....seems fair price.
Demo day Sat March 3rd at Bondi.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Tuesday, 27 Feb 2018 at 7:43pm

hope someone gives a review of these after the demo day.....very interested.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Tuesday, 27 Feb 2018 at 8:16pm

likewise

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Wednesday, 21 Mar 2018 at 1:54pm

Anyone tried these yet or seen them?

Brodey Sheppard's picture
Brodey Sheppard's picture
Brodey Sheppard Tuesday, 19 Jun 2018 at 6:09pm

I think these are a great idea! just need to get the retailers onto them and i think they will fly off the shelves.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 20 Jun 2018 at 9:48am

Gary what a fantastic idea. I can see real benefit in being able to experiment with flex in a standard board, then apply the favoured setup across all of one's boards. Assuming it's possible to source a set "flex" in current materials across different fin types (2+1, twin, keel, quad etc)

How do we order a set?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 23 Apr 2019 at 8:28pm

Brand New Flux Fins dual tab sets - $30
Gumtree Darlinghurst

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 20 May 2021 at 12:53pm

What happened Gary ?

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 30 Sep 2023 at 9:07am

FluxFins Thruster sets available on Ebay .