Sri Lanka at Xmas

mk1's picture
mk1 started the topic in Wednesday, 1 Nov 2017 at 10:59am

Hey Guys, will be in Sri Lanka over Xmas. Obviously it's not the best time for surf with weak swells and relegation to the S/SW beaches, but (due to it being Xmas) I have to book accom in advance and want to make sure I book in the best region for waves. Do any Sri Lanka experts know the best town/region for waves Dec/Jan? Really looking for somewhere that will sniff the most swell and have a variety of breaks available to break up the crowds. Doesn't have to have the 1 or 2 big name breaks that every holiday tourist will go straight to. TIA!

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Wednesday, 1 Nov 2017 at 10:59am

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg Wednesday, 1 Nov 2017 at 1:20pm

If you don't mind being in the thick of it base yourself in Hikkaduwa and travel around from there. Even a crowded day out on the reef is pretty manageable and you're within an hour or two of other waves. If you get over it just pick another spot further south you like and stay. Everywhere else will be cheaper and way less crowded in comparison. A great local guy to contact for accom, airport pick up, tours etc is Dunstan one of the first Sri Lankan surfers - [email protected]

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Wednesday, 1 Nov 2017 at 3:00pm

yeah cheers, was hoping for a spot with a range of waves and not as much of a tourist scene as (i presume) the Xmas period is going to mental.

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg Wednesday, 1 Nov 2017 at 8:20pm

I've never found it too hectic at any time, it's a super mellow vibe, really beautiful people and pretty moderate level of surfers all round. A good spot further south is Rams in Midigama...little right reef out the front, a fat left down the beach. Short tuk tuk ride to Big rock, Cabalana a fun beachie with swells peaking up around a, you guessed it - big rock. Enjoy mate

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Thursday, 2 Nov 2017 at 11:04am

Perfect Crg - exactly what i was chasing!
Thanks for that.