6 hour layover in DPS/Bali - surfing?

sbsb's picture
sbsb started the topic in Saturday, 26 Aug 2017 at 8:08am

Hi all, I have a question as per the title and thought that this was the most likely spot to get expert guidance.

I've got a short 6-hr afternoon bali stopover on a work trip to Java next month and wondered if I could get out of the airport and grab a wave (coming from VIC I am really ready to have a paddle without some rubber).

I've never surfed in Bali before tho have in other parts of Indo, but I'm a bit old and slow to tackle the serious breaks and am thinking more like a beachy or relatively cruisy reef somewhere within an hour of the airport where I could also hire a board. Obviously a little out of the Kuta crowds could be good but really I'd be happy with a swim and if I got a wave that would be a bonus. I see there's some luggage storage at the airport?

Some one mentioned Balangan as an option on the higher tide?

Any advice appreciated!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 26 Aug 2017 at 6:03pm

sbs i dont think you have enough time to get to surf away from the crowds traffic will a fuckin nightmare might have to settle for surf at Kuta or legian ....those spare 6 hrs you have will get used up real quick even if you wish travel up to caangu area...aim for kuta hire a board or have a swim and a couple bintangs on the beach.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 26 Aug 2017 at 6:16pm

Far too hectic.

Grab a Bintang....or three.

Seriously though , you could arrive the same time as two other planes and be queued up at immigration for an hour and a half.

Then you've got half hour exiting the airport . Assuming you're not waiting for any baggage at the carousel....

Then 1 1/2 hour check in before the domestic to Java.

If you've already allowed for all this extraneous bullshit and actually have 6 hours up your sleeve then you could theoretically get in a surf at one of the Kuta reefs or a kuta beachie.

Tide and wind dependant of course.

Maybe a couple of Bintangs and a massage ain't too bad a suggestion.

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Saturday, 26 Aug 2017 at 6:41pm

6hrs , If you haven't been or don't know anyone there I'd go with the Bintang option.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 26 Aug 2017 at 7:47pm

Go find a plush hotel with a nice pool, have a swim and freshen up, smash a few cocktails and head back to the airport with a spring in ya step

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 26 Aug 2017 at 7:50pm

Fuck swimming at Kuta or Legian beach, you'll end up ingesting a plastic bag and getting run over by Boris The Russian on his hire board :-(

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 26 Aug 2017 at 8:06pm

Jump in a taxi and tell him to take you to Seminyak.

After a few hours of sitting in traffic , get out of the taxi and walk the 600 metres that the taxi actually moved back to the airport. Arrive hot , frustrated and irritable . Commence power drinking till you're so disoriented that you attempt to board the wrong plane . Argue drunkenly with officials. Maybe wrestle a customs agent to the carpet. Get arrested. Wake up hungover in Kerobokan prison cell spooning a banchong.

Welcome to Bali !

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Saturday, 26 Aug 2017 at 8:46pm

Sounds like youv'e been holding out on us Blowin?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 26 Aug 2017 at 8:50pm

He/she never did write me .

who cares ? I've moved on anyway.

My life is satisfying even without that firm squirrel grip I knew all too briefly.

Horas's picture
Horas's picture
Horas Sunday, 27 Aug 2017 at 3:15am

That's assuming the Java flight's on time.In my experiences old mate might get anywhere up to 10-11 hrs in Bali,maybe even a night .Ya just never know.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 27 Aug 2017 at 8:04am

Agree with everyone, you could pull it off but, it would be full on and hectic, just forget going for a surf and just go get a feed and relax.

My motto in Indonesia is plan ahead, but don't expect anything to go as planned.

And when it doesn't go to plan, don't stress just enjoy the ride.

sbsb's picture
sbsb's picture
sbsb Sunday, 27 Aug 2017 at 10:05am

Alright, message received all, thanks for the good advice. Looks like a massage it is and then to chill out, I'll have a busy week of logistics ahead and probably not going to help things adding another mission on the front side. Cheers!

dogbox's picture
dogbox's picture
dogbox Sunday, 3 Sep 2017 at 6:02am

From the airport, pretty easily done.. you could get a taxi down to the boats for kuta reef in about 10mins..its straight down the road in Tuban, which is the same suburb as airport. I think locals know it as pantai pertamina. Guys there on the beach will hire you a board and take you on the boat out to the breas for 5-6 bucks I'm geussing these days. You can check the waves as you fly in, if your seated on the left hand side of the plane..to see if its worth it. Got a few options there..Kuta reef, (closest and most crowded), Middles (less crowded..good wave that one), Airport lefts (longest boat ride..always pretty chockers). The waves at Kuta reef are pretty forgiving and definitely suitable for advanced beginner to intermediate (unless swell is big) - biggest danger is the crowd. If you only have 6 hours...a lot of time gets eaten up just getting through customs and baggage claim, and getting a taxi etc... Definitely doable even if you only allow yourself 3 hours surf from the time you hit the beach..gives you an hour and a half either side. You have only one real option in Jakarta, but you need more time. Place called Cimaja in Pelabuhan ratu is where most Jakarta crew go on weekends..has a right hander a bit like burleigh cove..rock bottom and all...not really a day trip as its about 5 hours drive but a possibility.. if your keen, and a day becomes available on your trip..

dogbox's picture
dogbox's picture
dogbox Wednesday, 6 Sep 2017 at 2:07am

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kuta+Reef+boats/@-8.7410566,115.1585548,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x2dd24423ea82fccb:0x5ca1278a588fbb02!8m2!3d-8.7410566!4d115.1607435?hl=en-US

scottindo's picture
scottindo's picture
scottindo Sunday, 10 Sep 2017 at 3:48pm

Not enough time
Way Too macet !!!
Traffic jams and waiting for ur boards unload !!!

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Monday, 11 Sep 2017 at 9:41am

I do not get the advice offered here - if your plane lands roughly on time and you clear customs and get your board roughly on time, you can easily surf the airport reefs. The taxi won't even have to leave the back streets of Tuban so traffic is not a big issue. It'll be just as quick as going for a massage.

Take your bags with you and leave them at a local warung on the beach. Get a beer, feed and massage there afterwards and grab the first taxi back to the airport.

*Conditions and crowds not guaranteed

Clam's picture
Clam's picture
Clam Monday, 11 Sep 2017 at 10:57am

Heard of jam karet ?
Good luck !

dogbox's picture
dogbox's picture
dogbox Friday, 15 Sep 2017 at 5:45am

personally i would not even think of bringing my board for the chance of one surf. just hire an old banger from boat boys..yeah that part of tuban is pretty much flowing traffic wise, compared to other parts kuta, legian etc. its like the back blocks that hug the airport. the chances that you can't find a ride back to the airport post surf is nil..virtually anyone, anywhere in indonesia will become an instant ojek driver (motor bike taxi) for a couple bucks...or they will quickly get mate who is willing--tell the boat guys..they will sort you out. leave ur bags in airport locker.. change into boardies and tshirt..throw a 4-5 hundred thousand in your zip pocket of ur boardies, way more than you need..pair of thongs..take nothing travel light..you can have that surf. haha better than sitting at the airport for 6 hours bored shitless...

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Friday, 15 Sep 2017 at 11:55am

3 hours and 40 minutes from Uluwatu to the airport yesterday due to a car accident at GWK. Probably best not to head in that direction just in case something like that happens.

nicko74's picture
nicko74's picture
nicko74 Friday, 15 Sep 2017 at 12:28pm

Wasn't jus a car accident Dan , a truck tipped up whilst carting concrete colverts up to where they're doing the pipe work around Ullus.

eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies Friday, 15 Sep 2017 at 12:43pm

Yep saw that. Truck stuck doing a wheel stand going up the hill. Wish i had a camera . Don t think any one hurt just the smell of poop cominig from the drivers cab ten feet in the air.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 15 Sep 2017 at 12:56pm

That's classic indo gold

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 11 Oct 2017 at 7:51pm

You back yet.....did you get any surf time ?