J Bay late October/November

g_banger's picture
g_banger started the topic in Tuesday, 15 Aug 2017 at 4:22pm

Hey crew,

planning a J Bay mission for late October-early November.
Has anyone been at this time of the year and can comment on the conditions coming into summer, in particular the winds? How cold is the water then, still 4/3 territory?

Thanks in advance.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 16 Aug 2017 at 7:51pm

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 16 Aug 2017 at 8:08pm

I surfed there a few years ago in early October but I was only there for a week so don't bet your life on what I say.
Waves were mostly chest to head high, wind was generally light and not straight offshore but still clean.
The big bonus though was there were no more than a handful of guys around. The locals are obviously pretty spoiled so crowds on those average days were non-existent.
And of course average there is still none too bad in most people's language..
I wore a 4/3 but if you're on the rugged side (I'm not) you might get away with a 3/2 especially with a vest underneath.
If you haven't been there before, S.A. is awesome with the most fantastic people, such a great place.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Wednesday, 16 Aug 2017 at 8:25pm

3/2 is fine IMO. I wouldn't expect pumping Jbay, but it's possible. Plenty of other waves in SA though.

Doublems111X's picture
Doublems111X's picture
Doublems111X Thursday, 17 Aug 2017 at 9:07am

Yip. You'll get waves thats a fact. Probably not like what the pro's had last month but as Andy was saying the crowd is almost not existant when its not pumping. Now "not pumping" is still a long peeler but maybe wind affected or not connecting all the way or a bit peaky but a lot of fun. Its a small town and a long drive for anybody not living there so they pick their days/wknd to drive in. Rent a car and explore too for some quality set ups. Addo elephant park could be a good lay day trip. Enjoy. Ah. 3/4 or 4/3 is fine. If you own both id take the 4/3 for morning and longer surfs...

Doublems111X's picture
Doublems111X's picture
Doublems111X Thursday, 17 Aug 2017 at 9:16am

Ah. As per the wind question. Supertubes may get blown out by midday so renting a car to find sheltered corners is what id suggest. You wont need to drive far but far enough that you would not want to walk it.

g_banger's picture
g_banger's picture
g_banger Thursday, 17 Aug 2017 at 10:48am

Legends thankyou guys!

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G Thursday, 17 Aug 2017 at 11:04am

Gary is interested in conditions in Feb as he'll likely be in Cape Town around then - should he make the drive or stay in Cape Town?

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Thursday, 17 Aug 2017 at 11:19am

Cape Town is good, hot weather with 4/3 booties, gloves and hood though.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 17 Aug 2017 at 12:47pm

G-Love, if you're going to go hard in Capetown, take all the rubber you can find...

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G Thursday, 17 Aug 2017 at 1:40pm

Wise counsel, AndyM.

Gary makes sure he always packs appropriate sheathing for any water sports he may get involved in.

mackdog's picture
mackdog's picture
mackdog Thursday, 17 Aug 2017 at 10:23pm

Where you from g-banger?
Water temp that time of year probably about 18-19 degrees. That's 3/2 territory. I was there in late august a couple of years ago and fine in a 3/2 when I'd still be in a 4/3 and boots in vicco.
Wetties in SA much cheaper than here if you are due for a new one too.

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Friday, 18 Aug 2017 at 11:38am

My first trip in 84 I stayed till the end of November and was getting waves, we got a few swells at supers and was hardly anyone around. when it's blowing North east you can go to oyster bay if the is no swell and a place that was called shark attack, they have changed the name to something nicer, not sure what.
Last trip a few years ago I was wearing a 2mm short sleeve on the nicer days in August, that's all you'll need in November.

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G Friday, 18 Aug 2017 at 10:27am

Cheers Mackdog, Gary is from Vicco so the 3/2 sounds like a suitable prophylactic for this particular journey.