Tahiti rights?

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay started the topic in Friday, 26 May 2017 at 8:58am

Some advice, please, gentlemen.
With Tahiti only a short flight from NZ, and water temps in Wellington hitting 13C, I'm dreaming of tropical surf. I have no desire (or skill) to surf pumping Teahupoo, but would really like to surf some less hyped spots, especially rights.
Anybody have some good info about spots, boat rides, accommodation etc?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 26 May 2017 at 9:52am

Plenty of rights over there IB, but the thing with Tahiti is that many of the waves are hard to reach without a boat. The fringing reef is about a kilometre offshore so if you're just cruising around it makes for long paddles across the lagoons.

In fact, Teahupoo is one of the shortest paddles, and there's a fun little right just up the coast on smaller days (plus an evil one down the coast on bigger days).

You'll also find left and right beachies up the road at Papara, if you can steal a wave off the nimble Tahitian kiddies.

There's a few rights on Moorea including Tema'e (expect a few people) and the reef outside Vai'are (long paddle), and also over at Huahine, but the ferry there takes longer.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Friday, 26 May 2017 at 9:57am

Thanks Stu.
When you say fun right just up the coast, do you mean to the west? My loose plan would be to stay near/at Teahupoo, paddle out there on smaller days, and take boats to rights. 1km paddles are ok with me.