Best allround surfboard for 2-5foot surf for a C/B level surfer.

pigdog's picture
pigdog started the topic in Sunday, 27 Nov 2016 at 6:21pm

My answer is a custom made which is what I have 6,0 19 2 3/4 square tail.
My friend is on the market for a new one my suggestion is the weirdo ripper....he is 6 '1 has a very good surfing style but custard arms....I think this is the board for him or is there one better.....

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 30 Nov 2016 at 5:43pm

What's c/b mean?
There are a large range of boards around these days then customs too. What's best for you might not be best for him.
It depends on the waves he surfs. My two or three fave boards are an almond butter for a fun reef, which isn't that good for the local point(Jakes) or a lost mini driver and a twin keel banksy. Those boards suit most waves I like except Jakes which is often raw and jacking.
Magic boards are hard to come by IMO.
Semi guns that work well at the point here would feel shit on other waves.
I don't know what I'm saying I guess just look around for a board suitable for the waves he most often surfs.

pigdog's picture
pigdog's picture
pigdog Wednesday, 30 Nov 2016 at 6:35pm

A=professional
B= expert
C= clubman.
cheers for the feedback…the almond butter seems like a good versatile board!!!!

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 30 Nov 2016 at 9:49pm

Yeah the almond butter feels great backhand its a cruiser you can throw around. but the first surf i had it out in i was kooking it a bit, feet too far back as the rockers pretty flat trying to compensate and not nose dive. But im loving it now. Paddled out the point on it one smoking 3-4 ft day (second time i rode it) and just wasnt confident id make the drop. Rob Machado rides it in a lot of conditions such as deserts so it is a versatile board but imo you(me) have to ride a board a lot before i find them versatile.
My lost mini driver is very versatile and lovely to turn or get barrelled on.
I just went on a fast and long diet and have given up the piss for a long while, so now can ride that lost again which i couldnt ride for a while as i was 95-98 kilos. now 80kg and still dieting so looking forward to getting back on some thinner boards.
Im not an expert or clubman level really, just a cruiser and these days small to medium size wave rider so my advice isnt that worthy. Also a lot of others on here know a lot more about board design than i do.Especially pro level boards.
One board id recomend a look at is pyzel slab but there are heaps worthwhile looking at. if you go down the firewire route they can take 4-5 months on delivery.

Ash's picture
Ash's picture
Ash Thursday, 1 Dec 2016 at 3:58pm

Interesting groundswell, I reckon I'll get an AB as soon as the shop sells my evo. I want a board for the shitty, fun days, as I have 2 of Maurice's boards that suit the better, bigger stuff. I found the evo's tail too wide and am sick of having to push extra hard to get it to pivot, it paddles well and catches waves easily and I think is a little too fast at times, but after going back to a rounded pin with a thinner tail foil on my MC's I found I could sink the tail again and it was effortless. Nuther thing on the Firewires, I've had 2 and they both devolped rail cracks however the decks seemed to hold up fine. The AB, apart from its plan shape with a more pulled in tail, is in TimberTech which I'm hoping will be more durable.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Thursday, 1 Dec 2016 at 5:53pm

"he is 6 '1 has a very good surfing style but custard arms..."

Custard arms! Bewdiful! He'll love being described that way. Are they anything like tuck shop lady arms?

kbomb's picture
kbomb's picture
kbomb Friday, 2 Dec 2016 at 9:59am

Groudswell- that's a great effort mate to lose 15kgs! How has it effected your surfing and performance? Move waves? More manoeuvres etc? Motivation?

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Friday, 2 Dec 2016 at 12:06pm

Thanks, id say my performance and manoeuvrability is much better but thats also as ive been surfing a lot more now since moving to Kalbarri, Gero where i lived before had a few ok waves but not near as consistent or quality of this area.
I definitely feel more motivated but not at the same level as before i gained weight in the first place.

Ash you will probably like the AB not sure what size to suggest but they are a really fun board to ride. we dont get many windswells here, all groundswellsbut i surf it when its 1 foot or three foot and mine really likes this fun peak here, i imagine it would go well on some long point breaks that arent too grunty. After getting it dialed in it might handle some real juice but i have other boards for that.

Ash's picture
Ash's picture
Ash Friday, 2 Dec 2016 at 1:14pm

Cheers groundy, good to hear from someone who owns one. We're beach break central down here, so there's all sorts of days on different tides, banks and swells to have fun on.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Friday, 2 Dec 2016 at 3:07pm

Hi Groundy,so what size Almond B are you riding ?been looking at these for a while now,beautiful looking board in timber tec.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Friday, 2 Dec 2016 at 10:51pm

6'0 as it suited my weight a few months ago. could probably go down a few inches now but its a paddle machine at 6'0 and surfs 1ft waves well.