Numb toes

linez's picture
linez started the topic in Wednesday, 29 Jun 2016 at 8:01am

Last few years through winter I've been getting numb toes after being in the water for an hour or so. Even in a 3/2 full length wettie on the Gold Coast. It's become annoying because I can't adjust/feel my feet properly. It doesn't happen all the time, just on those colder days. I presume it is a circulation thing, and I don't think I'm alone in experiencing it. Does anybody have any solution/remedy for it?

linez's picture
linez's picture
linez Wednesday, 29 Jun 2016 at 8:04am

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Wednesday, 29 Jun 2016 at 8:47am
linez's picture
linez's picture
linez Wednesday, 29 Jun 2016 at 1:06pm

Haha, yeah I can see that taking off.

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Wednesday, 29 Jun 2016 at 2:23pm

Surprised the hipsters haven't taken off with this one. Functional, warm and a splash of colour to brighten up your day. And- wears thongs like a piece of cake keeping your toes toasty pre- paddle out.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Wednesday, 29 Jun 2016 at 4:49pm

Well usually booties do the job . Cold water booties !

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 29 Jun 2016 at 5:25pm

linez I would be taking a long hard look at that wetsuit. For you to lose heat that quickly it cannot be doing its job. If the wetsuit has sealed seams and is in good condition then it could be that you are very lean. Whatever the case try wearing one of those warm rashies underneath. I use one in Sydney and they make a real difference.

linez's picture
linez's picture
linez Wednesday, 29 Jun 2016 at 6:46pm

Thanks BB, yeah the wettie has sealed seams and is in good shape, and yes I'm pretty lean. Do you mean a rashie as in 1mm or like a normal one?

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 29 Jun 2016 at 6:56pm

You can get rashies that are made of slightly heavier material not neoprene. You might have to look around but it is worth the effort. I also use reef booties sometimes particularly if you have to walk any kind of distance over cold ground as that cools your feet really rapidly. One of the best things is to get really warm all over before you hit the water. Socks, shoes long legs, whatever is necessary. Your skin holds a lot of heat so if you are warm all over when you put the wetsuit on you have a bit of extra heat in the bank!

linez's picture
linez's picture
linez Wednesday, 29 Jun 2016 at 8:17pm

Thanks BB, might look into one of those rashie's, sounds like the go. Hope it makes a difference, hate wearing booties....coloured toe socks however.........

tworules's picture
tworules's picture
tworules Thursday, 30 Jun 2016 at 8:33am

a good fire-bug on the beach will clear the lineup