EnKi stove

udo's picture
udo started the topic in Friday, 6 May 2016 at 2:51pm

Craig get yourself one of these.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 6 May 2016 at 2:53pm

Craig perfect for your surfing ,hiking desert trips ?

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Friday, 6 May 2016 at 4:25pm

Been looking for a base camp stove for 12 months now, small, efficient, enough for 1-2 people that (1.) simmers and (2.) doesn't blow out in any wind.

Simmering is a must thereby allowing food preparation other than dehydrated hiking food.

The best and closest I've found to what I'm after are the MSR Reactor and MSR Windburner but neither simmer although trivets are freely available on the web which would have the effect of reducing the heating temperature.

Its very frustrating .... if any one can lean me in the right direction of a simmering and wind proof single burner stove I would be grateful.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Friday, 6 May 2016 at 5:00pm

i have two msr stoves...whisper lite and pocket rocket.
the pocket rocket is really good at simmering. very small. great stove. it runs on those msr gas containers. it's fine for base camp. not so good for trips over a week...too much fuel to carry. that's when i take the whisper lite.
i would have thought the reactor and windburner would easily simmer. they look like a facny version of the pocket rocket. any of the gas canister stoves should simmer well. the white fuel stoves that need to be pumped and pressurised and primed...they are terrible at simmering.

if it's base camp..maybe buy one of the stove sets that asian students use at home with a little propane cannister. i guess you could buy/make a metho stove. they only simmer. or are we talking mountainieering base camp?

btw: moutain designs have a 30 percent sale this wekeend.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 6 May 2016 at 5:06pm

Floyd have you had a look at the Whisperlight? Simmers down ok and comes with the lightweight shield. Has been really good for the past few years.
One proviso, MSR says you can use petrol which you can at a pinch but unless you want to be cleaning the jets every second use, stick to kero.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Friday, 6 May 2016 at 5:12pm

i was hoping i'd learn how to make the whisperlite simmer from that video--that thing is not simmering.
can you imagine using petrol in these? i nearly blow myself up just with white fuel.
you use kero? geez, that's dirty enough.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Friday, 6 May 2016 at 7:05pm

hey chook & andy,

Thank you for your comments/input.

I have a MSR pocket rocket which can/does simmer but wind is a problem without a windshield but its cooking base can't handle anything but small cooking pots. The MSR Reactor & Windburner do not simmer at all .... although the Windburner burns "cooler" than the Reactor. Both stoves are designed to work at altitude and to melt snow fast for hydration and also for dehydrated food preparation. Neither have the value the pocket rocket has which allows the gas to be turned down this allowing simmering. The Reactor and Windburner have outstanding wind proofing will cook even against a garden blower/vac full throttle.
I've had Trangia before and dislike those type of stoves with white fuel bottles etc.

I reckon there is a real gap in the market here ... aren't those primus canister fuel single burner stoves dodgy?

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 6 May 2016 at 8:45pm

Thanks Udo, interesting!!