Overseas Surf Camp Work

bigredcouch's picture
bigredcouch started the topic in Tuesday, 29 Mar 2016 at 3:16pm

Good day crew. My partner and I, both in our early to mid 20's are looking to set up some kind of work with a surf camp/resort etc from late Juneish onwards. We'll be in the Mexico area at that time but open to almost anywhere with quality waves from June/July through October/November. Third world probably preferred. Work doesn't have to be paid monetarily. Happy and able to do almost everything. Thought that some amongst the resourceful swellnet world would have some experience in such matters that would be helpful towards our endeavour. Cheers and thank you!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 29 Mar 2016 at 8:11pm

Nice,Hope you get a gig as good as Richard and Amy Kotch...good luck.

bigredcouch's picture
bigredcouch's picture
bigredcouch Wednesday, 30 Mar 2016 at 5:57am

Cheers udo. Just looked them up and it looks like they've got it all worked out. Might see if I can get in touch.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 30 Mar 2016 at 7:19am

Indo dreaming knows a bit about this. I think it might be too late for this coming season though as people usually apply around november-december.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 30 Mar 2016 at 8:58am

I only know about Indo and generally most positions are filled by word of mouth, while on the topic.

Basically in Indo at a resort/surf camp with the correct visa (Kitas) you can work legally as a resort manager or a chef (because specializing in western food) even a photographer (under journalist type deal) but you cant actually legally work as a surf guide.

On a charter boat i think it falls under a different deal because at sea although this could be different now as since a few years back all boats must fly under an Indonesian flag.(id assume this changes things)

Basically a shit load of guys work illegally on tourist Visa's and risk being kicked out of indo and blacklisted or even fined or locked up or paying bribes to those who threaten to dob them in.

The risk seem pretty small and most have no problems but in Indo things can change very quickly.

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Wednesday, 30 Mar 2016 at 2:09pm

I'd be steering clear of Indonesia this year unless you've got the correct visa organised. Late last year there was quite a lot of anxiety amongst those doing dodgy work in Bali as there was a concerted crackdown on expatriates and long-term visitors finances. I'd feel pretty vulnerable without the papers these days. The fact that some people promote themselves as offering tours, yoga retreats, volunteer trips etc. all over FB and Instagram and then turn up on a VOA is insane to me. Like Indo said, mostly likely you will have no problems, but imagine being blacklisted from the most wave rich archipelago on Earth? I'd rather lose a leg.

My advice if you're still thinking Indo is to contact the newer resorts (1- 3 years old) - I've always found they are more likely to have a need for people, as the established resorts have a long list of people who'd throw themselves at the chance, including former guests. Good luck!

grufnut's picture
grufnut's picture
grufnut Wednesday, 30 Mar 2016 at 7:11pm

My cousin and his mrs worked at a surf resort in a caretaker/ manager/ chef type role for 6 months last year in Nicaragua, said it pumped for weeks on end between week long or so flat spells, I'll try get the info off him for you

bigredcouch's picture
bigredcouch's picture
bigredcouch Thursday, 31 Mar 2016 at 3:39pm

Thanks guys for your feedback. Hadn't full considered the legalities of it and as good as indo is we're definitely not limiting ourselves to just that. Probably worth a bunch of email drops and see what groundwork can be done in mex and central. Would be keen to hear back from you grufnut if you come up with anything - had thought the couple aspect may work in our favour in certain situations... Cheers!

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Thursday, 31 Mar 2016 at 4:51pm

Don't forget the Pacific! There's a couple of blokes from my area who work in Samoa for the season. And of course the Maldives. A Maldivian girl I studied with told me that if I turned up in the Maldives, could surf better than I do, and wasn't as ugly as I am I could land a job on a charter boat within a week. Not sure how true that is, but worth keeping in mind!