blindboy started the topic in Wednesday, 16 Mar 2016 at 7:23pm

........need to think about

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 16 Mar 2016 at 7:24pm
stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 16 Mar 2016 at 8:58pm

Maybe read the headline Fong? By definition "tourists and day-trippers" don't live on a boat and "travel for extended distances for months. ..years at a time?"

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 16 Mar 2016 at 9:27pm

So sorry fong, how thoughtless of me. All those poor scurvy seafarers struggling into Rotto after months at sea, desperate for a safe anchorage. I mean what is it? Three months hard sailing from Freo? So yes, anchors aweigh, no that means pull them up doesn't it? So yes drop your bloody anchor wherever you like, to hell with sea grass, after all if most of the country is a desert why shouldn't the the sea floor be one too?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 16 Mar 2016 at 10:56pm

Fong laughing at first wold problems as he navigates the globes treacherous oceans seeking new continents that might be colonised by humans after our known land masses perish.

So selfless.

I for one appreciate your journeys even if no one else does.

Humanity will thank you one day when pedants such as Blind Boy with their petty concerns for such trivialities as the environment are long forgotten.

Meantime you're out there saving the goddam world as the landlubbers quake in their boat shoes !

Good luck in your search Captain Fong.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Wednesday, 16 Mar 2016 at 11:56pm

Bb.
Interesting topic close to my heart . I would expect that the moorings only move large arcs when they have a boat attached . ( but I'll chat to marine biologists at the coal face to get their view ) . I wonder if this was funded by whoever is trying to get the RIA to sign up on the rest of those moorings . One thing I do know is the moorings over there is big business . (The Maintenance is like painting the Sydney Harbour bridge ) . Interestingly the bay with the biggest buildup of sea grass that I've seen washed up has zero moorings , and yes is nearby where surfers " free anchor " . To be fair that area is probably less inclined to sea grass beds , so it's probably from further afield back towards the shallows near Garden island . If you worried about sea grass beds in that area , you'd start raising the free anchoring that is partaken by al, the container ships in the gage roads . Perhaps they should be on big fuck off moorings ?!? Stu you would have seen this wasteland first hand on your many freestyle crossings .
Anyway , it appears that there is no way of getting science papers noticed unless they have some form of obscure link to AGW -Co2 at the very end .
Now if we wan't to talk Co2 , start looking at the amount of Diesel that is shipped over there per year , to keep said day trippers happy and also keep the land lubbers beer cool . I have a plan to reduce that , but I'm pretty sure the real power brokers want decent shipments to be maintained because if reduced then the price for boaties to buy it over there would skyrocket . So not sure that would get much government funding . Now who wants to stay at the new resort they are going to build there . It's going to go direct down wind from the waste treatment plant & evaporation dams . ( don't stress they ship the processed solids off the island ) . The Desal plant in its infancy drew from bores halfway between the beach and inland salt lakes . Eventually they started drawing in the 4 times saltier than sea water from the lakes stratification of the water table . That was until I commissioned the new Beach front bores between the Basin and Longreach . Unique micro town over there .

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Thursday, 17 Mar 2016 at 12:20am

Looks like theres plenty of sea grass in that one photo..

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 17 Mar 2016 at 4:22pm

Tahiti based arent you fong ?

quokka's picture
quokka's picture
quokka Thursday, 17 Mar 2016 at 7:01pm

Dugongs at Rotto, I'd like to see that! Plenty of me though.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Thursday, 17 Mar 2016 at 7:07pm

might be a typo , and they meant dugites . in which case they maybe smoking the grass .

quokka's picture
quokka's picture
quokka Thursday, 17 Mar 2016 at 7:14pm

Yep I reckon they're on smack. First they say the seagrass doesn't grow back but in the next breath they say it does recover, i.e. it grows back. Usually it's experts contradicting each other but this time they are contradicting themselves, beautiful stuff. Rotto is where the rich take their toys, good luck changing that or getting them to fork out for environmentally friendly moorings.

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Thursday, 17 Mar 2016 at 7:18pm

Sea grass for km both ways from rotto.if you think that some boaties will kill it all..meh....go wilko..

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 17 Mar 2016 at 7:40pm

I really can't comment as I don't know the area well enough. I posted the link because I knew it would interest some of you .

prothero's picture
prothero's picture
prothero Friday, 25 Mar 2016 at 1:01am

if you dont see it its not there, right? or really who gives a fuck about some sea grass ? Irresponsible boaties can and do fuck up marine ecosystems.....

chin's picture
chin's picture
chin Friday, 25 Mar 2016 at 1:55am

it's minuscule compared to the damage the coal ships do to the reefs when they anchor off Newcastle. Nobody can see it so it doesn't matter apparently

rh-taxi's picture
rh-taxi's picture
rh-taxi Friday, 25 Mar 2016 at 6:03am

King coal rules, Pasha bulka damaged the reef at nobbies, what was the fallout from that.....

prothero's picture
prothero's picture
prothero Friday, 25 Mar 2016 at 11:40pm

Shark Bay sea grasses in NW West Australia ( a real big area) took a big hit a few years back....due to....not boats .....very warm ocean temperatures

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Saturday, 26 Mar 2016 at 6:28pm

Proth, not sure what variety of sea grass is in shark bay but water temperature needs to be extreme (30plus) to negatively impact most sea grass species. Interestingly light is important and of course various nutrients and suitable sea beds. It's a amazing plant to see in large areas. A good one to soak up carbons.