Gutted! I lost my kids surfboard at Sorrento.

Karl Bromelow's picture
Karl Bromelow started the topic in Sunday, 13 Mar 2016 at 7:33am

I'm sure a lot of swellnet readers have done it before. Jumped in the car after a session in the surf and driven off leaving their board behind. On Friday 11th March I did it. Only it wasn't my board. That was safe in the back. I'd been enjoying an after school session with my little lad, 9 years old, on his 5'4" MAHAFFEY with a pink sea monster graphic on the deck, at Sorrento Ocean Beach. He loved that board. Spotted it himself in Anna Bay, NSW, on holiday. It transformed his surfing life. Riding the right board instead of making do with his Mum or Dad's oversized things. I went back when I realised what I'd done but it was gone. Not surprised, long weekend, loads of people about. Maybe late at night, an empty car park with an unattended surfboard. Maybe a local picked it up. What would I do? Maybe a holidaymaker picked it up. Who knows? But I am gutted. Sick to the core. My boy was in tears. So was I. I've told everyone I can think of. Put the word out at all the local shops and left notices down by the carpark. The board still exists somewhere. Possibly close by. Maybe in Melbourne by now. What else can I do? We went back in the water yesterday. My boy on his boogie board after catching a good one on another spare board that's way too big for him really. In the surf we smiled an laughed but on dry land I feel rotten.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 15 Mar 2016 at 5:35am

Hako o hakonde ni-biki no inu's picture
Hako o hakonde ... Tuesday, 15 Mar 2016 at 6:09am

Ring the nearest police station, if it's someone that wants you to get it back that's where it will be.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Tuesday, 15 Mar 2016 at 7:50am

yeah ring the local police, really hope he gets the board back but as a grade 3er its good lesson for the kid to learn about packing his own stuff

Karl Bromelow's picture
Karl Bromelow's picture
Karl Bromelow Tuesday, 15 Mar 2016 at 11:19am

I called the police and they don't have it. There is a board at Rosebud waiting for someone to claim it if there's anyone out there who's looking, but it's not my boy's sadly. If anyone has the time or inclination then I would be eternally grateful if you checked my profile on Facebook (just type in my name) as it shows a photograph of the board on my only post that is public. So right at the top of the Timeline. Spreading the word on the internet especially around Mornington Peninsula and Melbourne seems my only chance of ever finding his board for him. Cheers, Karl

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 15 Mar 2016 at 11:28am

Here's the board..

Will put a shout out on our Insta Karl.

Karl Bromelow's picture
Karl Bromelow's picture
Karl Bromelow Tuesday, 15 Mar 2016 at 12:00pm

Cheers, Craig!! I didn't know how to attach a photo and couldn't link to my FB posts for some reason. I have created a Facebook community page for people in similar circumstances. Hopefully it will grow. It's "Lost or Stolen Surfboards Victoria". Thanks again for your help. It may come to nothing but the support I'm getting is really generous. Karl

Hako o hakonde ... Tuesday, 15 Mar 2016 at 4:18pm

That's so cute, he's drawn a pic of his daddy on the deck of his board:-)

Karl Bromelow's picture
Karl Bromelow's picture
Karl Bromelow Tuesday, 15 Mar 2016 at 7:06pm
Hako o hakonde ni-biki no inu wrote:

That's so cute, he's drawn a pic of his daddy on the deck of his board:-)

Wish I was that good looking!

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 15 Mar 2016 at 11:09pm

they wont get away with it

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Wednesday, 16 Mar 2016 at 9:15am

Unique looking boards are hard not to notice. That pink blob will be spotted somewhere. Who knows when though ...

I know my gidget would be devo too. I'd hope others would help me get the message out if it happened to me, so I've shared the post on Facebook. Doubt it would be up this way, but, ya never know who might notice it, or who of my friends share it and then who sees it. One of the only good thinks about social media.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Wednesday, 16 Mar 2016 at 7:13pm

Hey Karl ...
Knowing how crafty shits are that don't return this kind of thing . What's the other dimensions of the Board .
I'm tipping someone's done a cheap re spray or something along those lines , if it has Infact been "kept " .
That way if someone sees a micro grom board with a shit spray cover up , they can confident bail people up knowing that they can check dims straight up .?!

Karl Bromelow's picture
Karl Bromelow's picture
Karl Bromelow Wednesday, 16 Mar 2016 at 10:05pm

Cheers Wingnut. Much appreciated. Southey, it was 5'4"x 17.5 but I can't remember the thickness. 2 and 1/8 I think. It was originally shaped for a boy called Lucas pencilled on. Thanks to all for taking the time to read.