Trip to New Caledonia in July

surfiebum's picture
surfiebum started the topic in Thursday, 10 Mar 2016 at 9:23am

Hi All,

Thinking of heading to New Cal in July with the Mrs for a week or so. Anyone been at that time of the year and have any tips?

I'm guessing it may be a bit fickle due to needing a low in the right spot beneath Oz and NZ to really crank, but if there is at least 3ft of background swell I'd be happy to go.

Any other suggestions? I'm basically looking for somewhere that gets at least a couple of foot of swell and isn't too crowded that the non-surfing Mrs will also be happy with.

bishmann's picture
bishmann's picture
bishmann Thursday, 10 Mar 2016 at 9:27am

Hi SB
there will be swell that time of the year , only issue with new cal is you really need access to a boat as a lot of the waves are a long way offshore .

surfiebum's picture
surfiebum's picture
surfiebum Thursday, 10 Mar 2016 at 9:41am

Thanks Bishmann.

Yeah, I'd already seen that.
Seems like there is just the one surf camp now, so it's stay there or organise a boat separately which I doubt will be worth it just for me.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 10 Mar 2016 at 10:29am

The one wave i know about is real quality like a skate bowl, i think thats its name too. i heard march to april is the time for surf there as no wind out at sea.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 10 Mar 2016 at 12:24pm

There's no surf there.... Don't go there.... No one should go there.... Go to fiji or bali with everyone else..........................................................